Wiki Posts
Search

210 mins dom-int MCT at LAX? Really?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
210 mins dom-int MCT at LAX? Really?

According to KVS the MCT for a domestic to international DL-LH connection at LAX is 210 minutes. That's 3 1/2 hours! Is this a database error or a joke? Or am I misreading the table below? I know LAX has many terminals but they are all very close together. Has anyone managed to book a DL to LH connection with fewer than 210 minutes?

[KVS Tool 7.9.8 - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: LAX/DL-LH]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         LAX                          070 090 120 120  

EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L                              EFF / DISC                     

DL                             01MAR12         --- --- --- 210  
LH                                                              

DL                                             --- 210 210 ---  
LH                                                              

---------------------------------------------------------------

[DD]    Domestic To Domestic      [DEP]   Departure Airport    
[DI]    Domestic To Intl          [ARR]   Arrival Airport      
[ID]    Intl To Domestic          [A/L]   Airline              
[II]    Intl To Intl              [TR]    Terminal             
[EQP W] Wide-Body Aircraft        [EFF]   Effective Date       
[EQP N] Narrow-Body Aircraft      [SUP]   Suppressed/Prohibited

Last edited by oliver2002; Jan 8, 2016 at 11:07 am Reason: removed ad link to kvs
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:06 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its indeed 3h30:

Code:
>dmdl/lax/lh
DMDL/LAX/LH/08JAN16                                                             
LAX  DL TO LH                                                                   
LAX-LAX      FROM      -             TO         D/D D/I I/D I/I                 
CC FLTN-FLTR ORGN EQPTM-CC FLTN-FLTR DEST EQPTM HMM HMM HMM HMM                 
DL                     -LH                      --- 330 330 330                 
CK ALSO STANDARD CONNECTING TIMES                                               
PRECLEARANCE MAY APPLY                                                          
>dmua/lax/lh
DMUA/LAX/LH/08JAN16                                                             
LAX  UA TO LH                                                                   
UA 0001-2119           -LH 7440-9415            --- 035 --- ---                 
UA 3250-6539           -LH 7440-9415            --- 035 --- ---                 
UA 0001-2119      W**  -LH 7440-9415            --- 040 --- ---                 
PRECLEARANCE MAY APPLY                                                          
>dmaa/lax/lh
DMAA/LAX/LH/08JAN16                                                             
LAX  AA TO LH                                                                   
AA 6000-9099           -                        INV INV --- ---                 
AA 8100-8399           -                        --- --- --- INV                 
PRECLEARANCE MAY APPLY                                                          
>dmha/lax/lh
DMHA/LAX/LH/08JAN16                                                             
LAX  HA TO LH                                                                   
HA                     -                        130 --- --- ---                 
PRECLEARANCE MAY APPLY                                                          
>dmas/lax/lh
DMAS/LAX/LH/08JAN16                                                             
LAX  AS TO LH                                                                   
AS 1000-1999           -                        INV INV INV ---                 
AS 4000-4799           -                        INV INV INV ---                 
AS                     -                      1 125 145 --- ---                 
AS                     -                      2 125 145 --- ---                 
AS                     -                      3 125 145 --- ---                 
PRECLEARANCE MAY APPLY
Old Jan 8, 2016, 11:13 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

The reason is probably the distance between TBIT (LH) and Terminal 5&6 (DL)
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Even if you walk slow you canmake it in under 15 min.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by oliver2002
That doesn't make sense. T5 and T6 are very close to TBIT. UA is farther away in T7/T8 and the MCT is under 2 hours.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 12:49 pm

Well, maybe the DL luggage truck only goes to TBIT every two hours
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH FTL, BA Bronze
Funny thing The Matrix would show this as a valid routing even though the layover is "just" 2 hrs 39 mins. Something's fishy here.

Itinerary
San Francisco (SFO) to Munich (MUC) — Sat, Jan 30
Long layoverOvernight flight

San Francisco (SFO) to Los Angeles (LAX) — Sat, Jan 30
Delta 2765
Dep: 1:15 pm
Arr: 2:36 pm
1h 21m
Boeing 717
First (A)
Snack or Brunch
Layover in LAX
2h 39m

Los Angeles (LAX) to Munich (MUC) — Sat, Jan 30
United 8861
Dep: 5:15 pm
Arr: 1:40 pm
11h 25m
Airbus A340
First (A)
Meal
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by planestupid
According to KVS the MCT for a domestic to international DL-LH connection at LAX is 210 minutes. That's 3 1/2 hours! Is this a database error or a joke? Or am I misreading the table below? I know LAX has many terminals but they are all very close together. Has anyone managed to book a DL to LH connection with fewer than 210 minutes?

[KVS Tool 7.9.8 - Reference: Minimum Connection Time [MCT]: LAX/DL-LH]
Code:
                                               DD  DI  ID  II   
STANDARD:         LAX                          070 090 120 120  

EXCEPTIONS:                                                     
A/L                              EFF / DISC                     

DL                             01MAR12         --- --- --- 210  
LH                                                              

DL                                             --- 210 210 ---  
LH                                                              

---------------------------------------------------------------

[DD]    Domestic To Domestic      [DEP]   Departure Airport    
[DI]    Domestic To Intl          [ARR]   Arrival Airport      
[ID]    Intl To Domestic          [A/L]   Airline              
[II]    Intl To Intl              [TR]    Terminal             
[EQP W] Wide-Body Aircraft        [EFF]   Effective Date       
[EQP N] Narrow-Body Aircraft      [SUP]   Suppressed/Prohibited
Why not call DL and ask whether it is bookable as a connection? That is all that matters.

MCT is simply a carrier's willingness to accept the risk of a misconnect of either passenger or luggage.

It is entirely possible that it is the luggage issue. If DL doesn't interline much luggage to LH and only sends a cart over every X minutes, that MCT would allow for the greatest cart spacing between DL and LH flights.

I would never rely on an external database.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:54 am

Had the same issue in JFK - agent manually overrode the system and forced 2,5hrs connecting time.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:16 pm

Programs: Disgruntled HON**, Indifferent EK Gold, skeptical BA Silver
ground services not the problem

to my knowledge this is driven by the understaffed CBP doing immigration and customs. Had to travel with the family, so no Global Entry possible.
2,5hrs in JFK first week of January until you reach the luggage.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by mamb0
to my knowledge this is driven by the understaffed CBP doing immigration and customs. Had to travel with the family, so no Global Entry possible.
2,5hrs in JFK first week of January until you reach the luggage.
There is no immigration on a domestic to international connection
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
That is indeed terrible .... especially given the lounge situation in LAX.

But if you survive a ride on DL, I guess the LAX lounge sentence is a cinch ...
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by weero
But if you survive a ride on DL, I guess the LAX lounge sentence is a cinch ...
Have you actually flown DL lately, and especially on the OP's SFO-LAX Delta Shuttle route? it's a heck of a lot better than either UA or AA...They have expedited check-in and priority security for all Shuttle pax (F and Y), free beers and wines, free newspapers, and free snacks (fruits/nuts/muffins) for all pax....

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...t-shuttle.html
Old Jan 13, 2016, 2:47 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by ClipperDelta
Have you actually flown DL lately, and especially on the OP's SFO-LAX Delta Shuttle route?..
Not that route no ... actually no intra US&A route at all for a while now.

I hear your sentiment quite regularly these days and I am certainly not going to defend UA. But it will take some time to overcome my personal inertia with my DL experiences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.