Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Old Sep 21, 2020, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Finally got to get my ticket reissued and took a peek at the cash upgrades:

MUC-FRA: 1780 (21) (Y to P)
FRA-BOM: 21660 (248) (E to P)

Still planning to burn an evoucher for the longhaul segment and the 20 min flight doesn't need an upgrade that diminishes my mileage earnings
MUC-FRA is short but I have always enjoyed the meals LH has offered in J; I just hate how uncomfortable the seats but again, on such short flight, doesn't make a huge difference
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Booked LH403 EWR-FRA (Nov 7) and LH772 FRA-BKK (Nov 8) in PE; offers to upgrade to C are:
  • EWR-FRA: $439
  • FRA-BKK: $479
My return flights are on OS and it seems no offers are available when viewing the reservation on either the LH or OS websites. Does OS just not have a similar cash upgrade system?
Old Oct 18, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by prathetkrungthep
Booked LH403 EWR-FRA (Nov 7) and LH772 FRA-BKK (Nov 8) in PE; offers to upgrade to C are:
  • EWR-FRA: $439
  • FRA-BKK: $479
My return flights are on OS and it seems no offers are available when viewing the reservation on either the LH or OS websites. Does OS just not have a similar cash upgrade system?
definitely they have
Old Jan 13, 2021, 9:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Finally got to get my ticket reissued and took a peek at the cash upgrades:

MUC-FRA: 1780 (21) (Y to P)
FRA-BOM: 21660 (248) (E to P)

Still planning to burn an evoucher for the longhaul segment and the 20 min flight doesn't need an upgrade that diminishes my mileage earnings
The October trip got rebooked to March MUC-BOM and a few weeks ago rebooked to MUC-FRA-BOM again. The cash upgrades showed up for the same amount again
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
The October trip got rebooked to March MUC-BOM and a few weeks ago rebooked to MUC-FRA-BOM again. The cash upgrades showed up for the same amount again
After such upgrades do you earn the new class (P) service and mileage levels?
Also, do we know what level upgrades to (A) go for?
Old Jan 15, 2021, 2:32 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Yes you get mileage for the new booking class. Award miles are calculated as per fare value. BK is whatever lowest fare bucket is open in the new service class. Could be P, could be E. The last and (only) time I did it was M->P for MUC-BOM. While checking in my 28KG bag I was reminded that the upgrade didn't come with extra baggage (32Kg). The agent was nice and waived the message typing something about SEN in the popup window
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Yes you get mileage for the new booking class. Award miles are calculated as per fare value. BK is whatever lowest fare bucket is open in the new service class. Could be P, could be E. The last and (only) time I did it was M->P for MUC-BOM. While checking in my 28KG bag I was reminded that the upgrade didn't come with extra baggage (32Kg). The agent was nice and waived the message typing something about SEN in the popup window
Ah good to know! Once I have finally achieved my HON I will stop buying F/A and start buying cheapest and potentially upgrading this way
Old Jan 28, 2021, 3:42 am

Lufthansa Upgrade Value

I actually have two questions.

1) How is 569 EUR for a business upgrade from Economy on a flight from MUC-BOS?
2) Do business upgrade prices change over time when viewing the reservation on LH.com? I ask because the price is even lower than the "Bid" method right now.

Thanks!

Sean
Old Apr 3, 2021, 10:19 pm

Will the Lufthansa website offer me an upgrade if it's booked on UA ticket (016)? Either fixed-price offer on Lufthansa's website, bidding, or gate upgrade
Old Apr 4, 2021, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by TexasMatthew
Will the Lufthansa website offer me an upgrade if it's booked on UA ticket (016)? Either fixed-price offer on Lufthansa's website, bidding, or gate upgrade
Fixed-price and gate-upgrade -> Yes
Bid-upgrade -> Not 100% sure but no.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 1:37 pm

It only works if the flight has LH flight numbers, correct? If I purchase the ticket on 016 stock and it has UA flight numbers, but operated by Lufthansa, the fixed-price upgrade won't work, correct? Only gate upgrade
Old Apr 5, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by TexasMatthew
It only works if the flight has LH flight numbers, correct? If I purchase the ticket on 016 stock and it has UA flight numbers, but operated by Lufthansa, the fixed-price upgrade won't work, correct? Only gate upgrade
As far as I know that's correct.
And with TATL flights that's exactly the big issue :/
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
I am about to pull the trigger on Germany-BKK and have the option of purchasing these options:
- all segments on LH flight numbers and LH metal booked on LH site (220 stock)
- all segments on OS flight numbers and OS metal on LH site (also assume 220 stock)
- all segments on OS flight numbers and OS metal on OS site

Would one be better than another for an N class cash upgrade? Since it's N class I would not be able to use eVouchers/miles I suppose.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, A3*S, Bonvoy Gold, HH Gold
N cannot be upgraded using miles/eVouchers, that's correct.
In terms of the odds of being offered a cash upgrade and the terms thereof it shouldn't matter, but I'd generally aim for the first or last option.
The price offered for cash upgrades depends a lot on the load in the target cabin so it might be worth checking how full the business class is on the dates you're looking at.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 8:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by El_Duderito
I am about to pull the trigger on Germany-BKK and have the option of purchasing these options:
- all segments on LH flight numbers and LH metal booked on LH site (220 stock)
- all segments on OS flight numbers and OS metal on LH site (also assume 220 stock)
- all segments on OS flight numbers and OS metal on OS site

Would one be better than another for an N class cash upgrade? Since it's N class I would not be able to use eVouchers/miles I suppose.
I would just go with whether you would prefer flying LH or OS (or whatever makes more sense in terms of connections etc.) and buy tickets for the appropriate metal on the respective stock.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.