Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by alanw
When going into MMB for a flight FRA-ORD in Z in ten days, I see a notice that says FANCY FLYING IN FIRST CLASS? And then asking me to make an offer for the upgrade. There is a little slider that lets me choose how much I'm willing to bid, with the minimum being 1260€ and the maximum being 2500€. A little terror-alert-style thermometer changes from red (1260€) to green (2500€) depending on what level I choose.

I'm not willing to pay 1260€ for F (nor half that) so have ignored it for now. I'm hoping to see something like 300-400 come up closer to check-in, flight is currently F4 A4.
That link took you to the bidding site for upgrades (see this thread for more information). That is different than the cash upgrade offers that are discussed here.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Its clearly tied to the lowest booking class open in the other cabin.
This is quite true. They now show no E fares available and the PE upgrade has not gone to $1320. The funny part is that the C upgrade has stayed at $1550 (still have discount fares available). If I were willing to pay $1320, I'd probably go the short bit further and do the C upgrade.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 12:52 pm

Question Lufthansa paid upgrade question

I'm booked in economy LH from DEN-FRA-DEL towards the end of October. When I retrieve my booking on LH.com it's offering me a business class upgrade for $920 DEN-FRA and $810 FRA-DEL. Are these prices likely to change for the better as it gets closer to departure? Trying to decide if I should buy now or wait. Thanks in advance..
Also wondering if the fee I already paid for economy seat selection will be refunded or applied towards the purchase of the upgrade? I assume not ..
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:12 pm

Cash upgrade offers change both directions

It's hard to tell and depends on the booking situation. Cash upgrade offers can fluctuate wildly, for example I have seen SFO-FRA go from $1,009 to $1,996 to $1,440 within a few days.
And you are correct, you won't get reimbursed for $ paid for seat reservations.
Old Sep 21, 2019, 1:44 pm

Grr, so I tried to do the upgrade and got this:

Before you can continue, please check the following:
  • ErrorThe current booking situation required a recalculation of upgrade availabilities. Unfortunately, we can no longer offer you an upgrade for a fixed price. We kindly ask for your understanding. You may try to request an upgrade at a later point in time again. (119308)

Even after getting that message, it still is offering the upgrade when I retrieve the booking again.
Old Sep 22, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: LX SEN
Originally Posted by bearchaser303

• ErrorThe current booking situation required a recalculation of upgrade availabilities. Unfortunately, we can no longer offer you an upgrade for a fixed price. We kindly ask for your understanding. You may try to request an upgrade at a later point in time again. (119308)

Even after getting that message, it still is offering the upgrade when I retrieve the booking again.
It may be because you are more than 6 weeks before your flight. Although upgrades display, an error message appears. You may wish to try again 6 weeks before your flight.
bearchaser303 likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by bearchaser303

I have the same, both on app and web, all legs are displayed with fixed upgrade offers but when I then select to upgrade, the page refreshes with that error message. The flights are two weeks from now. Very annoying.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Vixit
I have the same, both on app and web, all legs are displayed with fixed upgrade offers but when I then select to upgrade, the page refreshes with that error message. The flights are two weeks from now. Very annoying.
LH IT but all you need to do is call the HON line & they should sort it for you
Old Sep 26, 2019, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
I just upgraded 6 weeks to the day prior to my flight. Upgrade from PE to Business. LAX to FRA. The amount dropped from $1440 on day 43 to $1090 on day 42.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:46 am

Programs: LH HON**
Originally Posted by chris63
LH IT but all you need to do is call the HON line & they should sort it for you
Apparently some technical glitch, the true upgrade cost went from 80 euros to 200 (for an intra-EU flight), then I did not proceed...
Old Sep 27, 2019, 3:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Bit the bullet today and upgraded for 3080SEK. As expected the booking was changed from M to P. The amount paid was almost ~100€ less than the fare difference:

Code:
23JUN19**23JUN19/LH STODEL/NSP;EH/TPM 3486/MPM 5532
*** FOR STAR ALLIANCE RTW* SEE FQD XYZXYZ EG:FRAFRA ***
LN FARE BASIS OW SEK RT B PEN DATES/DAYS AP MIN MAX R
01+MFFOWSW 4288 M - - - + + - - R

23JUN19**23JUN19/LH STODEL/NSP;EH/TPM 3486/MPM 5532
*** FOR STAR ALLIANCE RTW* SEE FQD XYZXYZ EG:FRAFRA ***
LN FARE BASIS OW SEK RT B PEN DATES/DAYS AP MIN MAX R
01+PNCOWSW 8397 P NRF - - + + - - R

Curiously the ticket is not stickered, but instead a sepearate upgrade receipt is attached to the reservation. Now curious on how the flight will post to my account. Status miles should be the same for P or M, so I'm not worried there.
Just to report back: the flight posted in P, even though the underlying coupon was in M. At checkin I had a rather heavy bag (30 KG) which caused some issues to the agent. She mentioned that the luggage allowance of the underlying ticket (only 1x 23 KG in M plus 1 extra as SEN) is valid and the system won't let her accept a 30 KG bag. She overrode the warning with a comment that I'm a SEN.

The M&M award miles system was utterly confused with the setup so the award miles posted about 3 days later were the same as status miles. ^
chris63 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Vixit
Apparently some technical glitch, the true upgrade cost went from 80 euros to 200 (for an intra-EU flight), then I did not proceed...
Technical glitch from LH / M&M surely not
Old Oct 10, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: AA plat, Hertz, gold , Bonvoy gold,IHGplat
So I never got any response to my comment of paying $1090 42 days prior to departure LAX -FRA from PE to J. far or does anyone have an opinion that I over paid in that it would be going down more. Still about 20 J seats open 4 weeks prior to flight
Old Oct 14, 2019, 7:00 am

Now that I have flown, here is the lifecycle of my cash upgrade offer Y->PE (L fare booked)

+ 60 days out - $400
~45 days out - $810
~ 30 days out - $1320
~ 7 days out - $810

Day of flight, offer was $460 (at check-in agent).

Looking at PE availability, it definitely was tied to the fare buckets that were available (G only was the $1320 price while E was available when the lower prices showed).

I'm not really clear if these were simply the difference in fare, or if there was some logic that was a portion in the fare differential.

~
Old Oct 14, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
Originally Posted by tods27
Looking at PE availability, it definitely was tied to the fare buckets that were available (G only was the $1320 price while E was available when the lower prices showed).
I noticed that IT system for airlines many times goes insane. They block a fare bucket assuming that on that day the cabin will be sold out especially on weekends with long haul travel. However, the cabin does not fill up even to half and the IT system still close the low fare bucket! I guess they are programmed to act this way!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.