Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longhaul cash upgrades to LH E/C/F [upto 6 weeks in advance]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2017, 5:52 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by oliver2002
After I thought that this scheme had been tried and abandoned I just noticed that it is being offered to me for an upcoming E booking to IAD. 649€ offered for E to Z confirmed on the spot on LH.de. Plusgrade wants a minimum of 525 to max 1000€ as a bid.
Z to A was offered at CHF 1500 for MUC-IAD back in Feb (when the route still had F). Declined the generous offer.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:22 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Saw an offer for 2400€ to upgrade from C to A on PVG-MUC:

Thats a steep increase from the 1499€ they once started out with.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 2:39 pm

A TA booked airfare for an upcoming flight. ORD-AMS (via UA) and BSL-MUC-ORD (via LH). Booked into economy for all legs and I have 016 tickets and two PNRs.

I called United and upgraded my outbound flight. I called Lufthansa and upgraded my MUC-ORD flight. When I view my flights via United.com, it shows Polaris for the outbound and economy for the inbound flights. When I view the flights via LH.com, I see this:

I called LH and the agent seemed confused. She said that her system showed me as being in economy for both legs. I am not familiar with LH's website so I don't know if this is standard. My confirmation email from LH includes two new 220 tickets. Should I be worried when I check into my flights? I don't mind calling LH back but I'm not sure what I should ask differently - other than, can I speak to a supervisor? The agent I spoke with last time suggested I try United or my TA -- not sure how they can help when I purchased the upgrade directly from LH on an LH flight.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:25 pm

BKK-FRA: the day before departure they offered PE to C for 2200 EUR. Day of departure the offer was 690 EUR :-)
Old Dec 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Programs: SK*G
FYI, just been offered EUR 250 from PE (G) to C flying FRA to SFO on Jan 2.

Quite a reduction from the EUR 1,000 it was yesterday. I reluctantly took it since there was no award space left and couldn't upgrade with miles. The cabin looks to be 2/3 full according to the seat map.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by 3rdCoastFan
A TA booked airfare for an upcoming flight. ORD-AMS (via UA) and BSL-MUC-ORD (via LH). Booked into economy for all legs and I have 016 tickets and two PNRs.

I called United and upgraded my outbound flight. I called Lufthansa and upgraded my MUC-ORD flight. When I view my flights via United.com, it shows Polaris for the outbound and economy for the inbound flights. When I view the flights via LH.com, I see this:

I called LH and the agent seemed confused. She said that her system showed me as being in economy for both legs. I am not familiar with LH's website so I don't know if this is standard. My confirmation email from LH includes two new 220 tickets. Should I be worried when I check into my flights? I don't mind calling LH back but I'm not sure what I should ask differently - other than, can I speak to a supervisor? The agent I spoke with last time suggested I try United or my TA -- not sure how they can help when I purchased the upgrade directly from LH on an LH flight.
ThirdCoast Fan.... curios whatever happened with your flight.... looking at the LH screen print I would have guessed you were just fine and got your business class seats.... I have an upcoming flight in April (ORD -FRA) that is booked Business in Z class and would like to upgrade to F, and willing to pay a reasonable price difference, but not sure if I should call LH directly and inquire, or call cruise line's air reservation dept and press them to get me a quote on cost to upgrade
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:27 am

I believe I'm all set - though it's not immediately clear to me why the interface displays what it does. Why do I have two listings for MUC to ORD, for example? The top half at least shows T and then P as expected. Another couple of calls to LH had two different agents assure me that my upgrade was processed correctly, regardless of how it may display on their website.

One other strange bit is that the flight times were adjusted right around the new year. I happened to check my reservation again and saw the upgrade was missing entirely. Another call to LH and I learned that when the flight times were adjusted, the system "dropped" the upgrade. It was clear on their end that I was still due an upgrade and the agent suggested I call back in about a week in case LH's systems didn't re-sync. This is when the P fare showed up in that top half of the Flight Details tab. I did lose my seat reservations, though, so I will once again be calling LH.

@Brostman, have your tickets been issued? My experience is that the cruise line will charge an extra fee to rebook you in another class - slightly different route than going directly with the airline where you don't get a new ticket. In my case, too, the cost to upgrade via the TA was more than directly with LH. Then again, maybe I would have received a new ticket entirely and some of this odd behavior on the LH website could have been avoided.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 1:20 pm

@Brostman, have your tickets been issued? My experience is that the cruise line will charge an extra fee to rebook you in another class - slightly different route than going directly with the airline where you don't get a new ticket. In my case, too, the cost to upgrade via the TA was more than directly with LH. Then again, maybe I would have received a new ticket entirely and some of this odd behavior on the LH website could have been avoided.[/QUOTE]

ThirdCoast.... It does not look my tickets have been issued yet.... I can see the reservation on LH site, and it says confirmed but there is no ticket number showing yet, so I am guessing the issuance is pending. Once it appears issued, my first action is to try for a *A upgrade via UA.... but I suspect my P class fare is only upgradeable if I were a M&M member (and then maybe only if HON or SEN status)... if that does not work I think I will try contacting LH directly and see if they can help me with *A upgrade or if an upgrade is reasonable $ ... Going to cruise line Air Dept is last option, as the reps their seem to only know what is standard (and they have previously said they only have contract with BA for first class), but with their purchasing power with LH I would have thought they should be able to at least quote me a price.

Good luck on your flights.!!!
Old Jan 14, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Brostman
@Brostman, have your tickets been issued? My experience is that the cruise line will charge an extra fee to rebook you in another class - slightly different route than going directly with the airline where you don't get a new ticket. In my case, too, the cost to upgrade via the TA was more than directly with LH. Then again, maybe I would have received a new ticket entirely and some of this odd behavior on the LH website could have been avoided.
ThirdCoast.... It does not look my tickets have been issued yet.... I can see the reservation on LH site, and it says confirmed but there is no ticket number showing yet, so I am guessing the issuance is pending. Once it appears issued, my first action is to try for a *A upgrade via UA.... but I suspect my P class fare is only upgradeable if I were a M&M member (and then maybe only if HON or SEN status)... if that does not work I think I will try contacting LH directly and see if they can help me with *A upgrade or if an upgrade is reasonable $ ... Going to cruise line Air Dept is last option, as the reps their seem to only know what is standard (and they have previously said they only have contract with BA for first class), but with their purchasing power with LH I would have thought they should be able to at least quote me a price.

Good luck on your flights.!!![/QUOTE]
If you haven't seen it already, this thread/wiki may be useful:
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

But to your concern about P fares - no, it does not appear that you have many options outside of paying cash.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:50 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Also cruise tour groups are booked on group fares and PNR, so you will not see the reservation fully and even though the ticket may have been issued it will not show online.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Also cruise tour groups are booked on group fares and PNR, so you will not see the reservation fully and even though the ticket may have been issued it will not show online.
Oliver2002.... So if I am willing to pay for an upgrade, any experience or insight whether I can/should do it through the cruise line or go directly to LH?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
What happens in the case if I upgrade from Y+ to C with cash,can I after it is confirmed in Z upgrade to F with Vouchers or miles?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Brostman
Oliver2002.... So if I am willing to pay for an upgrade, any experience or insight whether I can/should do it through the cruise line or go directly to LH?
You can call LH and ask, but if it's a group ticket they will most likely ask you to deal with your travel agent.

Originally Posted by Kid Flyer
What happens in the case if I upgrade from Y+ to C with cash,can I after it is confirmed in Z upgrade to F with Vouchers or miles?
Yes you can upgrade.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:27 am

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
What happens if I upgrade with cahs but have to cancel the flight afterwards ? Ís the upgrade refunded ?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:53 am

For regular cash upgrades:

Cancellation and refund of tickets

If you wish to cancel your journey via lufthansa.com, please note that the amount you have already paid for upgrades can only be refunded if the fare conditions of the underlying ticket permit a refund. You can cancel and request a refund of your ticket easily online on lufthansa.com. Alternatively, you can also contact the Lufthansa Service Center.

The separate reimbursement of an upgrade, i.e. its refund with regard to the flights and services in the originally booked travel class, is not possible.
For offer-based upgrades:

What must I do if I have changed my mind and no longer want the upgrade?

Offer-based upgrades are non-refundable.

What must I be aware of if I want to cancel a ticket that includes an upgrade?

Offer-based upgrades are non-refundable. If you want to cancel your ticket, you forfeit the amount paid for the upgrade, irrespective of your ticket’s cancellation terms. Please be aware of this before submitting an offer.

What happens with my upgrade if I want to rebook my flight?

The offer-based upgrade is valid exclusively for the flight and passenger or passengers for which/whom you have submitted the offer. If you decide you want to rebook, you forfeit your claim to the upgrade. Unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer the upgrade to another flight. Upgrade payments are non-refundable. Please be aware of this before submitting an offer.

What happens with my upgrade if I miss my flight?

If you miss a flight through your own fault, you forfeit your claim to the upgrade. Upgrade payments are non-refundable.

In the event of flight disruptions, if you are rebooked by Lufthansa on to an alternative flight after your upgrade has been successful, you are, of course, fully entitled to a seat in the new travel class. Following this flight disruption, if a seat cannot be found for you in the new travel class, please contact Lufthansa Customer Relations so that the upgrade payment can be refunded to the credit card used to pay for the upgrade

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.