Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

Allegris: New Cabin for the LH Group in 2023-25 (LX A330 LH A359/B748/B789)

Allegris: New Cabin for the LH Group in 2023-25 (LX A330 LH A359/B748/B789)

Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:05 pm

It's possible that like BA they want to have a consistent J experience across the fleet rather than the 'plane lottery' that you get with AF and KLM.

But I actually think we're seeing such an escalation of expectation when it comes to J that it's tough for these mega corporations and their fairly bureaucratic structures to keep track of it. AF still hasn't got their 'new' J seat rolled out across the fleet. There's a good chance that once the new 'suite' J concepts become common, AF's new J will be outdated before it's even fully rolled out.

LH and BA may have made the call to sit out the J arms race and instead trust on their corporate customer base and route network as their assets.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 4:52 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, All Accor Platinum
AF doesn't roll out the new Business Class through the entire long-haul fleet. The Carribean fleet e.g. will keep NEV 4.
However I still prefer the old AF C over the "new" LH C class as I do not like the position of your legs next to your neighbour with LH. THe new AF C class is something like a different world compared to the "New" LH C as there is direct access to the aisle with 1-2-1 configuration and not honeymoon feeling with your neighbour like at LH.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Lack
And LH is again celebrating new Airbus planes with old seats.
LH (and BA) have the advantage, that they have a consistent product. Other airlines have a mix of seat types (recliners, angled flat and flat seats) with subdivisions for each seat type. That doesn't make things easier for customers.

The trouble with a "one seat for one fleet" strategy is however you need to think ahead a lot. This will be even more important for their next seat which will roll out across the LH Group. Your product will need to stay "fresh" for longer. I'm really curious, how the next LH business class seat will look like: Individual seats? 1-2-1 layout? Staggered? etc...?
Old Feb 5, 2017, 11:57 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
It seems LH is looking at the B/E super diamond and Thompson Vantage XL+ for the next round of retrofits which will start 2020. The biggest problem they face is the ability of the supplier to crank out 300 seats/month during the retrofit period of 2-3 years. Remember LH has one of the largest C cabins and each aircraft needs 48-86 seats, with 4-6 aircraft in retrofit at the same time.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems LH is looking at the B/E super diamond and Thompson Vantage XL+ for the next round of retrofits which will start 2020. The biggest problem they face is the ability of the supplier to crank out 300 seats/month during the retrofit period of 2-3 years. Remember LH has one of the largest C cabins and each aircraft needs 48-86 seats, with 4-6 aircraft in retrofit at the same time.
So they will be replacing their current J product with one which will have been on the market for almost a decade by then? I get that the B/E SD seat is better than what they have now, but still...
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:01 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Going with a completely new platform and an unknown supplier for 4000+ seats is probably something that an airline like LH will not do. They learnt that lesson with Recaro in 2003-06.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: LH FT, AA Plat
It's pretty disappointing. LH current J product is outdated even though they call it "new", and what they have in store for planes to be delivered in 8 years will be outdated then as well. So much for innovation or keeping up with the competition.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 2:43 pm

I don't think they're trying to 'win' in terms of having the most luxurious J offering. I legit think they figure that being 'good enough' is enough, so that Germany-based elites are OK with sticking with them and people who have to go to FRA or MUC don't book around them. As mentioned, BA are making a lot of money with a very low end J product.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 3:06 pm

LH's current high-density J makes me think the airliner would be less likely to step down to a straight 1-2-1 config and more likely to adopt a high-density variant (similar to BA's new Club World finesse) similar to United's Polaris. #PureSpeculation
Old Feb 7, 2017, 7:28 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't think they're trying to 'win' in terms of having the most luxurious J offering. I legit think they figure that being 'good enough' is enough, so that Germany-based elites are OK with sticking with them and people who have to go to FRA or MUC don't book around them. As mentioned, BA are making a lot of money with a very low end J product.
BA are promising the roll out of bit improvements in their C cabins acknowledging that it is out of date.

Whether it happens or not is another matter.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by WorldLux
LH (and BA) have the advantage, that they have a consistent product. Other airlines have a mix of seat types (recliners, angled flat and flat seats) with subdivisions for each seat type. That doesn't make things easier for customers..
LH was that airline for a long, long time. And to make things worse, it wasn't just "no easy", it was a lottery to guess your seat.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 12:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
I don't think they're trying to 'win' in terms of having the most luxurious J offering. I legit think they figure that being 'good enough' is enough,...
The issue with that is however that by phasing out First on many aircraft they might lose high-profile clients that book First because of the more smaller cabin. I can't see.

At this rate I'm not so sure where airlines are heading. Are legacy carriers ( I could see LH or SQ do this) going to push out Y in favor of an F/C/Y+ or even just an C/Y+ layout and have their LCC subsidiaries transport Y passengers or are legacy carriers such as LH slowing phasing out F and we eventually end up with C being the new F, Y+ being the new C and Y being to crappy as usual.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 6:52 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by WorldLux
..At this rate I'm not so sure where airlines are heading. Are legacy carriers ( I could see LH or SQ do this) going to push out Y in favor of an F/C/Y+ or even just an C/Y+ layout and have their LCC subsidiaries transport Y passengers or are legacy carriers such as LH slowing phasing out F and we eventually end up with C being the new F, Y+ being the new C and Y being to crappy as usual.
LH so far oddly resisted the total war on coach, nearly all other non-Asian carriers have succumbed to (I mean even BA stooled the Nightmareliner in 3-3-3). If that strategy to segregate coach and price-only-coach on Eurowings pays, I guess, even the dreaded new 777 will see 3-3-3 seating.

My sole prediction is that the 777 will be arbiter of the foreseeable future.
Old Feb 8, 2017, 11:55 pm

Keep dreaming. The 779 can only act as a 744 replacement if it's 10 across in coach, especially if a new C is coming which is bound to be space hogging.
Old Feb 10, 2017, 7:00 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Keep dreaming. The 779 can only act as a 744 replacement if it's 10 across in coach, especially if a new C is coming which is bound to be space hogging.
Perhaps an interesting question is whether the 779 needs to act as a 744 replacement. I am guessing there are some routes in the network where a 744 is overkill anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.