Thai Airways refuses to credit business class C miles

Old Oct 29, 15, 6:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Belgium
Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Posts: 90
Thai Airways refuses to credit business class C miles

Ok the title might sound bit harsh, but in a nutshell that's what is happening to me.

After an absence of 4 years, I decided in May 2015 to give M&M another try since I have regular flights from Brussels, Paris & Amsterdam to South East Asia (Singapore & Thailand).

Since May till today I booked around 15 flights to Bangkok and Singapore, 8 of them I booked via a travel agency first in Economy W (due to administrative regulations at my company) with THAI AIRWAYS class but paid for an upgrade later at the airport for a business class C ticket.

I noticed that none of these miles got credited to my M&M account.
I started following the procedures as listed on their website, first via M&M website, after that with letters and calls.
The calls through the Belgian call center, which i assume is based somewhere in Suriname where very unsuccessful, a lot of promises to reply and call me back with they never did.
After this I switched to the German call center with much more luck.
After 5 months I finally received a first formal reply, asking to add copies of the receipts together with the boarding passes.
Luckily my travel were for business purposes so I was able to retrieve the copies at the accountant department.
After two weeks I received an email stating:

We regret to inform you that your routes Brussels - Bangkok - Brussels from 23 and 30 May 2015 cannot be taken into consideration for mileage credit because they were booked in the excluded seating class W, which is exempt from earning miles with our partner THAI on intercontinental flights. If the originally-booked seating class is excluded, they also do not allocate miles if you paid for an upgrade into a higher service class. According to the flight-auditing system, your flights Paris - Bangkok - Paris from 14 and 21 June 2015 were also booked in an excluded seating class and, for this reason, the mileage requests were rejected.

My other flights are still under investigation but I kind of expect to receive a similar answer.
I have been going through the conditions of earning miles with Thai Airways and nowhere it is stated you are excluded from receiving miles when you pay for an upgrade.
The tickets I bought where at full price, so not part of last minute promotions. I paid per ticket between 800 and 1000 per flight segment on top of the original ticket.

I left M&M 4 years ago because of a similar problem, 30 flights Brussels - Morocco for which I never received miles. These flights where booked via SN Brussels, but operated by Royal Air Maroc and although on the SN website the miles logo appeared they informed I would not receive these miles because RAM is the flight operator.
I accepted this but switched to RAM for my bookings.

This time is different, to me their explanation doesn't make any sense, and honestly I am getting a bit frustrated. I was looking forward to use some miles to upgrade my wife for a flight to NY, now I guess I have to pay for it...

Can somebody please share their experiences with me on how I should respond to this issue?
I am missing over 100K miles if I counted correctly, I should have had SEN status already but instead I am still stuck with 50K miles only.

If this issue is not to be solved I will be flying Qatar or Emirates as from 2016 again, but off course above everything I just want to receive what I feel I earned.
Remcod is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 7:18 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: HKG
Posts: 1,052
Not sure i'm missing a critical part here but all of it makes sense to me.

The fact that booking class W on international flights on TG will give you 0% miles on M&M is clearly stated on M&M website.

So if TG didn't change your booking class at the airport (would they?), by LH's best knowledge you had a booking in W, hence no credit. Maybe in general booking classes don't change at all for a paid upgrade, but someone in the know will weigh in soon I'm sure.
gpia is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 8:31 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GVA
Programs: LX SEN
Posts: 488
Originally Posted by guidospizza View Post
Not sure i'm missing a critical part here but all of it makes sense to me.

The fact that booking class W on international flights on TG will give you 0% miles on M&M is clearly stated on M&M website.

So if TG didn't change your booking class at the airport (would they?), by LH's best knowledge you had a booking in W, hence no credit. Maybe in general booking classes don't change at all for a paid upgrade, but someone in the know will weigh in soon I'm sure.
Indeed! It is stated clearly in the regulations of the paid Thai Standby Upgrade that the miles for the original booking class will be credited.
As your original booking was not eligible to earn miles and the Standby Upgrade upgrade did not change your booking class, hence no miles.
Btw, even if you would have tried to credit miles to Thai's own Royal Orchid Plus Program, you would not have earned any miles, as also booking class W is exempt from mileage accrual.
Viennafly is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 8:43 am
  #4  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,747
Yep, since TG upgraded their DCS the standby cash upgrade of TG no longer re-issues the ticket in C, but preserves the original BK, ie W in your case.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:16 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Belgium
Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Posts: 90
So I missed that part at the T&C of M&M.
I understand I will never receive those miles, but it seems all illogical to me.
You receive 0 Miles for a flight because you re-booked a cheap flight at a regular fair to Business class, even if it was booked on the airport.

It is not customer friendly at all and once more a reason for me to reconsider with whom I am flying.
Remcod is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:21 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Belgium
Programs: SPG Platinum & Gold for life, M&M Senator, Flying Blue Platinum,
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by Viennafly View Post
Indeed! It is stated clearly in the regulations of the paid Thai Standby Upgrade that the miles for the original booking class will be credited.
As your original booking was not eligible to earn miles and the Standby Upgrade upgrade did not change your booking class, hence no miles.
Btw, even if you would have tried to credit miles to Thai's own Royal Orchid Plus Program, you would not have earned any miles, as also booking class W is exempt from mileage accrual.
After the paid upgrade, my booking class said C instead of W.
So I would say it changed, or am I wrong?
And if they knew this was not possible, why did I have to send all these copies or receipts?
Remcod is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 9:34 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Italy
Programs: UA 1k 1MM
Posts: 72
Are you referencing what you saw on your boarding pass? When i've upgraded in the past the new boarding pass always states the class as C because that was the class of service I travelled in. It does not reflect the actual booking class which is what the original fare was based off and your mileage earnings are tied to. My understanding of it anyways......
flynspill is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:08 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,021
Originally Posted by Remcod View Post
After the paid upgrade, my booking class said C instead of W.
C is the class of travel, not the booking class. Before the upgrade your boarding card (if issued) would have said Y (i.e. not W).

Thai have written in BOLD on their website that airport upgrades only earn miles based on the original booking class, so I guess many other people have had the same problem. Personally I think it is a poor performance from Thai.
8420PR is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:20 am
  #9  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SIN/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 30,961
I am amazed that the Miles&More people were able to get a response from TG. I was under the impression that some 2 years ago TG fired every single online and phone customer agent and never ever replaced them ...
weero is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:45 am
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DUS (and somewhere in transit)
Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 10,036
Originally Posted by flynspill View Post
Are you referencing what you saw on your boarding pass? When i've upgraded in the past the new boarding pass always states the class as C because that was the class of service I travelled in. It does not reflect the actual booking class which is what the original fare was based off and your mileage earnings are tied to. My understanding of it anyways......
It is not a M&M issue, it is a TG issue. W is a cheap fare not earning any miles and TG does not reissue the ticket. So it remains W - zero miles.
Flying Lawyer is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:48 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: DCA
Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Posts: 44,544
This has nothing to do with M&M. You are simply credited with whatever the operating carrier credits. TG's policy is not unlike many other carrier's policies as to airport and other last minute UG's.

As practical advice for OP, consider that many employers and their corporate TA's are more than willing to accommodate employees by permitting the use of a second personal credit card. In this scenario, the cost of the allowable fare is charged to the employer and the balance is charged to the employee's personal credit card (with the employee's authorization). The ticketed and flown cabin are thus the premium cabin(s) as selected and are not upgrades of any kind.
Often1 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 11:05 am
  #12  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS 75K; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 43,012
Originally Posted by Remcod View Post
I understand I will never receive those miles, but it seems all illogical to me.
You receive 0 Miles for a flight because you re-booked a cheap flight at a regular fair to Business class, even if it was booked on the airport.
It's pretty typical across most (all?) airlines. You bought a discounted day of departure upgrade, not a business class ticket. Upfaring to a true business class fare on the day of departure undoubtedly would have cost much more than the 800-1000 that you paid.

As suggested upthread, if accruing miles is important to you, rather than buying discounted day of departure upgrades, you might look into upfaring your ticket to a true business class fare either at time of purchase or shortly thereafter. Depending on the airline and the country in which you purchase your ticket, making the change subsequent to initial ticket purchase may or may not require payment of a change fee.
Kacee is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 11:06 am
  #13  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: Everything is refundable
Posts: 3,727
Originally Posted by weero View Post
I am amazed that the Miles&More people were able to get a response from TG. I was under the impression that some 2 years ago TG fired every single online and phone customer agent and never ever replaced them ...
Based on my experience, Thai phone customer service agents rank right in between AA and UA, although the service center based in Phuket, especially their night shift, always underperformed, especially against the mid morning shift at Alaska Airlines.
FD1971 is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 12:24 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,859
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
It's pretty typical across most (all?) airlines. You bought a discounted day of departure upgrade, not a business class ticket. Upfaring to a true business class fare on the day of departure undoubtedly would have cost much more than the 800-1000 that you paid.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but M&M used to award business class miles for airport upgrades usually sold ex-NA for around $400. So it's not a far stretch to hope for extra miles while paying pretty much the standard discount fare in upgrade + underlying economy fare.
Lack is offline  
Old Oct 29, 15, 10:37 pm
  #15  
2020 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SIN/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 30,961
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer View Post
It is not a M&M issue, it is a TG issue. W is a cheap fare not earning any miles and TG does not reissue the ticket. So it remains W - zero miles.
&&
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This has nothing to do with M&M. You are simply credited with whatever the operating carrier credits..
While the OP could have found all the information on M&M and the TG websites, the credited amount is very much entirely up to M&M.
Do you guys in all seriousness think that all the Star Alliance carrier reduced mileage earnings for M&M at the very same date and including loss of elite bonus miles etc while maintaining the levels for other *A programs?

No, of course it's LH's fault. But not much can be done and OP should have known it.
weero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: