Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did LH change its operational upgrade logic?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Did LH change its operational upgrade logic?

I (a HON) was travelling on a D-class ticket earlier this week. To my surprise, I was upgraded to First Class. Never happened to me ever since LH had changed its operational upgrade priorities from FF status to booking class.

Has LH changed its transactional upgrade logic back to the relationship model they used to have? Or was i just lucky.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:12 pm

Changed the model back to loyalty before booking class AFAIK with their new checkin system.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN* ; Lifetime Ivory Member AF
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun
Changed the model back to loyalty before booking class AFAIK with their new checkin system.
Good news for us !
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Yep, the value you paid for that particular ticket, the booking class and status count as a sum in Altea.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yep, the value you paid for that particular ticket, the booking class and status count as a sum in Altea.
So you say they now have a weighting algorithm for ticket value, booking class and status? That sounds like a very German "engineering"-style solution. Why not simply bring it back to status before anything else?

P.S.: The change from status to booking class as criterion for operational upgrades was my major reason to stop flying Lufthansa and give 90% of my business to Etihad and Emirates.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Factoring in the ticket value would indeed be very good news for me as I mostly depart from GVA. This would also explain my rather unexpected Z to F op-up in July on FRA-ICN, as I guess my ticket (~4650 CHF) was probably more expensive than many D tickets departing from other countries.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 7:16 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
Originally Posted by CalFlyer
P.S.: The change from status to booking class as criterion for operational upgrades was my major reason to stop flying Lufthansa and give 90% of my business to Etihad and Emirates.
So with only 10% of your flights you qualified for HON status? Impressive.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 10:09 am

CalFlyer, between Etihad and Emirates, which one would you rate high? I'm looking at both as viable options for 2016. I have also heard that both Etihad & Emirates are willing to do a status match. I fly mainly between India & NY (4-6 trips a year) mostly on Business, so I believe it is enough to get a *G equivalent on either of them.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by f4freeJunior
So with only 10% of your flights you qualified for HON status? Impressive.
I pretty much stopped flying LH early 2014, requalifying early for HON after a bit more than a year. My card is still valid 2015/2016, and then it is good bye for this HON-from-day-one-of-the-program.

Last edited by CalFlyer; Oct 10, 2015 at 2:12 pm
Old Oct 10, 2015, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Redhat72
CalFlyer, between Etihad and Emirates, which one would you rate high? I'm looking at both as viable options for 2016. I have also heard that both Etihad & Emirates are willing to do a status match. I fly mainly between India & NY (4-6 trips a year) mostly on Business, so I believe it is enough to get a *G equivalent on either of them.
It very much depends on your personal circumstances. Product-wise, I like EY better than EK, both in premium classes as well as in economy. You will find several comparison-threads in the EY and EK forums. Both airlines treat their Elites very well, I am regularly the first one to get operationally upgraded (no matter which fare class). Both FF programs are nothing to write home about, but neither is LH's.

My focus is on EK and EY because I regularly do business in the UAE itself. If I were consistently a connecting passenger (like it seems to be the case with you), then I would consider QR. Hamad airport Doha is brand new and great. Economy seats have considerably more seat pitch than EY's or EK's, and premium cabins deserve their name. Connecting on EK is a pain meanwhile since DXB airport has grown too big too fast.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 3:10 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
So you say they now have a weighting algorithm for ticket value, booking class and status? That sounds like a very German "engineering"-style solution. Why not simply bring it back to status before anything else?
Status is the main factor, but often a flight has umpteen SENs on board. The remaining stuff differentiates between the same status level.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Status is the main factor, but often a flight has umpteen SENs on board. The remaining stuff differentiates between the same status level.
This is great news for me. One of my main reasons for leaving LH has been fixed then.
Old Oct 11, 2015, 4:51 am

Programs: LH HON
Quote:

This is great news for me. One of my main reasons for leaving LH has been fixed then.
This was your main reason to leave LH? An anyway non-guaranteed perk?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 10:39 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by daumueller
Have the last 11 years not taught you that no perk chez LH is guaranteed? Not even the published, guaranteed ones?
Old Oct 11, 2015, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
I think the correct way to see it was as a sign of things to come.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.