Did LH change its operational upgrade logic?

Old Oct 9, 15, 3:00 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,903
Did LH change its operational upgrade logic?

I (a HON) was travelling on a D-class ticket earlier this week. To my surprise, I was upgraded to First Class. Never happened to me ever since LH had changed its operational upgrade priorities from FF status to booking class.

Has LH changed its transactional upgrade logic back to the relationship model they used to have? Or was i just lucky.
CalFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 9, 15, 3:12 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 200
Changed the model back to loyalty before booking class AFAIK with their new checkin system.
FollowTheSun is offline  
Old Oct 9, 15, 4:19 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: LYS, BKK, JFK
Programs: LH SEN* ; Lifetime Ivory Member AF
Posts: 337
Originally Posted by FollowTheSun View Post
Changed the model back to loyalty before booking class AFAIK with their new checkin system.
Good news for us !
mat_bkk is offline  
Old Oct 9, 15, 4:42 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,533
Yep, the value you paid for that particular ticket, the booking class and status count as a sum in Altea.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 15, 3:18 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Yep, the value you paid for that particular ticket, the booking class and status count as a sum in Altea.
So you say they now have a weighting algorithm for ticket value, booking class and status? That sounds like a very German "engineering"-style solution. Why not simply bring it back to status before anything else?

P.S.: The change from status to booking class as criterion for operational upgrades was my major reason to stop flying Lufthansa and give 90% of my business to Etihad and Emirates.
CalFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 10, 15, 6:27 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GVA
Programs: LX SEN
Posts: 485
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Yep, the value you paid for that particular ticket, the booking class and status count as a sum in Altea.
Factoring in the ticket value would indeed be very good news for me as I mostly depart from GVA. This would also explain my rather unexpected Z to F op-up in July on FRA-ICN, as I guess my ticket (~4650 CHF) was probably more expensive than many D tickets departing from other countries.
Viennafly is online now  
Old Oct 10, 15, 8:16 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: ZRH
Programs: LX SEN, SQ QPPS2, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, SLH
Posts: 2,853
Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post
P.S.: The change from status to booking class as criterion for operational upgrades was my major reason to stop flying Lufthansa and give 90% of my business to Etihad and Emirates.
So with only 10% of your flights you qualified for HON status? Impressive.
f4freeJunior is offline  
Old Oct 10, 15, 11:09 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PNQ
Programs: LH SEN, Marriott Plat, UA Elite, EK Silver, Hertz Gold Plus
Posts: 334
Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post

P.S.: The change from status to booking class as criterion for operational upgrades was my major reason to stop flying Lufthansa and give 90% of my business to Etihad and Emirates.
CalFlyer, between Etihad and Emirates, which one would you rate high? I'm looking at both as viable options for 2016. I have also heard that both Etihad & Emirates are willing to do a status match. I fly mainly between India & NY (4-6 trips a year) mostly on Business, so I believe it is enough to get a *G equivalent on either of them.
Redhat72 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 15, 3:00 pm
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by f4freeJunior View Post
So with only 10% of your flights you qualified for HON status? Impressive.
I pretty much stopped flying LH early 2014, requalifying early for HON after a bit more than a year. My card is still valid 2015/2016, and then it is good bye for this HON-from-day-one-of-the-program.

Last edited by CalFlyer; Oct 10, 15 at 3:12 pm
CalFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 10, 15, 3:08 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by Redhat72 View Post
CalFlyer, between Etihad and Emirates, which one would you rate high? I'm looking at both as viable options for 2016. I have also heard that both Etihad & Emirates are willing to do a status match. I fly mainly between India & NY (4-6 trips a year) mostly on Business, so I believe it is enough to get a *G equivalent on either of them.
It very much depends on your personal circumstances. Product-wise, I like EY better than EK, both in premium classes as well as in economy. You will find several comparison-threads in the EY and EK forums. Both airlines treat their Elites very well, I am regularly the first one to get operationally upgraded (no matter which fare class). Both FF programs are nothing to write home about, but neither is LH's.

My focus is on EK and EY because I regularly do business in the UAE itself. If I were consistently a connecting passenger (like it seems to be the case with you), then I would consider QR. Hamad airport Doha is brand new and great. Economy seats have considerably more seat pitch than EY's or EK's, and premium cabins deserve their name. Connecting on EK is a pain meanwhile since DXB airport has grown too big too fast.
CalFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 10, 15, 4:10 pm
  #11  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 37,533
Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post
So you say they now have a weighting algorithm for ticket value, booking class and status? That sounds like a very German "engineering"-style solution. Why not simply bring it back to status before anything else?
Status is the main factor, but often a flight has umpteen SENs on board. The remaining stuff differentiates between the same status level.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:41 am
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Posts: 1,903
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
Status is the main factor, but often a flight has umpteen SENs on board. The remaining stuff differentiates between the same status level.
This is great news for me. One of my main reasons for leaving LH has been fixed then.
CalFlyer is offline  
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:51 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Programs: LH HON
Posts: 2,676
Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post
Quote:





Originally Posted by oliver2002


Status is the main factor, but often a flight has umpteen SENs on board. The remaining stuff differentiates between the same status level.




This is great news for me. One of my main reasons for leaving LH has been fixed then.
This was your main reason to leave LH? An anyway non-guaranteed perk?
daumueller is offline  
Old Oct 11, 15, 11:39 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: SIN/ZRH (time, not preference)
Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP
Posts: 30,703
Originally Posted by daumueller View Post
This was your main reason to leave LH? An anyway non-guaranteed perk?
Have the last 11 years not taught you that no perk chez LH is guaranteed? Not even the published, guaranteed ones?
weero is offline  
Old Oct 11, 15, 12:08 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 4,859
Originally Posted by daumueller View Post
This was your main reason to leave LH? An anyway non-guaranteed perk?
I think the correct way to see it was as a sign of things to come.
Lack is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread