Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did LH change its operational upgrade logic?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Were you told at online check in that your flight was oversold?
Old Apr 6, 2018, 2:19 pm

Programs: LH SEN & DL Plat
Originally Posted by zeer0
Were you told at online check in that your flight was oversold?
i believe that *G do not get this message... when I was able to check in online, my wife (no status) was offered 250€ due to overbooking but it was a take it or check in option... the olci worked fine after that with still seats availiable...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:13 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kid Flyer

i believe that *G do not get this message... when I was able to check in online, my wife (no status) was offered 250€ due to overbooking but it was a take it or check in option... the olci worked fine after that with still seats availiable...
Interesting. Because I posted in the forum just recently about a problem with online check in where I (*G) could complete the check in but my companion on the same reservation (no status) could not, and it was also due to an overbooked flight. We were offered $1600 at the airport to fly the next day. No op up for us though
Old Apr 30, 2018, 12:20 am

LH upgrade policy

I have a few friends visiting from Brazil and they were all upgraded to Business Class at the airport. They were booked in Economy (V) and none of them are members of any LH or Staralliance frequent flyer programs. Makes me wonder how LH decides whom to upgrade.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 1:04 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
And it makes me wonder if there is any difference between LX and LH. I frequently get upgrades on LX, on longhaul from J to First, and from Eco to Business on European routes. I presume that is because I have HON status?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LX/OS/LH havethe same pcv logic. You are probably paying high fares too?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: LX SEN
On my recent op upgrades on European routes on LX/LH, I was told (when I thanked the purser) that it was because I was SEN. This being said, my fare was Y, so I guess that the relevant factor was my reservation class Y (and, to a lesser extent, SEN), if it is an algorithm that makes the selection of the passengers to upgrade.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
The PCV is calculated using status, fare class, fare paid, origin & destination.
Old May 1, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: LH SEN**, IHG Diamond Ambassador
SEN for 10+ years, but in a few weeks it will be 3 years since I received my last op-up, despite >20 segments per year, where an op-up would be theoretically possible (i.e. where I am not already traveling in the highest cabin class). So, it might be the low fare classes that most of my tickets book in.
Old May 1, 2018, 6:38 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by oliver2002
LX/OS/LH havethe same pcv logic. You are probably paying high fares too?
Not on the flights on which I get upgraded. One third of the time I have dirt cheap Eco fares on shorthaul/Z fares on longhaul - that's when I get an upgrade, about a 25-30% of the time. The rest of my flying is in paid Business (C, D, or J) or First (A fares, never F fares), maybe that makes a difference, in that they look at my overall spending rather than what I have paid for the flight they upgrade me on?.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:56 am

Programs: LX HON Circle
To me this is all not logic. The more I spend the less I get opuped. Previously I received the occasional opup but since I had to start flying on more expensive fares and destinations I have been chronically unsuccessful. Have had a couple of longhauls in J or C or economy in M, B etc fares and missed out all the time. Had I been HON I would have scored at least some. I guess that is the explanation . But I noticed/feel that e-voucher upgrades cleared faster from higher booking classes.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by hugolover
Interesting to see many FTL upgraded to C on KRK-FRA above Star Gold. Oversold by 6.

It's great if they are finally back on the policy, when at first upgrades will go to HON->SEN->FTL and only if something left then to *G ^
Respect to your own elites should be over the alliance.

But there is also another possibility, that those FTL just had higher pax-value by ALTEA than those with *G.
By formula airline own program add some positive component to pax-value calulation.
*G may be on board just random so no need to extra pamper.

About intra-EU C-cabin...
I fly only C and yes, it was this year only 3-4 times (from let's say from 70-80 flight segments) when C was full. Usually they had some empty seats.
At least set block next to me
Of course I do not know how many pax was there with op-up.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
For LH OPUP booking class matters .

If FTL get higher preference that *G LH will break the Star Alliance rules.

According to Star Alliance Guide:
If booking in a higher cabin class is required, preference must be given in the following order:
•Carrier's own Gold
•Star Alliance Gold
•Carrier's own Silver
•Star Alliance Silver
Xyzzy, the810 and zeer0 like this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 6:34 am

Programs: LH -- HON Circle **, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond, 1865 Voyager
Originally Posted by SPlDER
For LH OPUP booking class matters .

If FTL get higher preference that *G LH will break the Star Alliance rules.

According to Star Alliance Guide:
If booking in a higher cabin class is required, preference must be given in the following order:
•Carrier's own Gold
•Star Alliance Gold
•Carrier's own Silver
•Star Alliance Silver
Any upgrade was never Star Alliance published benefit at all.
1.Priority Airport Check-in
2.Priority Baggage Handling
3.Airport Lounge Access (actually should be Business class lounge, too bad that LH accept them also in SEN lounge -- they sould not!)
4.Priority Boarding
5.Extra Baggage Allowance
6.Gold Track
7.Priority Reservations Waitlist
8.Priority Airport Stand-by

Anything else does not matter.
Alliance is not "an holy cow", own elites should be.

About the op-up -- some airlines sometimes give benefits to not own elites in purpose to make them fly more with specific airline. I am not sure is LH one of them.
chris63 likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
I have quoted the "Star Alliance reference guide for employees of star alliance member carriers" 21st edition. It clearly states that *G > than own airline *S.
According to your logic - OPUP benefit was never published as benefit of SEN or HON as well, so there is no reason to upgrade own elite.
the810, gojko88, zeer0 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.