Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did LH change its operational upgrade logic?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat, M&M SEN
Can anyone shed some light how do the award tickets fit into that new scenario? AFAIK in the old times the award booking classes were not at the bottom of the list, eg. I > Z (but probably lower than C, D). It seems that if we're to follow the logic presented by Oliver award tickets are rock bottom now (since they imply the lowest 'fare yield' component anyway).

Last edited by Cello; Oct 16, 2015 at 3:26 am Reason: spelling
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:59 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I/X awards do get some op-up joy in the enw system: see the op-up reporting thread I would say they are very low in the rankings, but they do count.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
If you're suggesting that a 60% upgrade success rate is routine for a traveller, then there's something seriously wrong with Lufthansa's yield management system.
Not necessarily anything wrong with their yield management system. I am mostly flying on business traveler heavy routes on heavy travel days. I bet LH would love to have some aircraft with larger business cabins, but they don't (just small variations). So they end up overbooking business to fill F which they cannot sell anyways (since most corporate travelers are not allowed to book first).
Old Oct 17, 2015, 6:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I/X awards do get some op-up joy in the enw system: see the op-up reporting thread I would say they are very low in the rankings, but they do count.
Given the amount of bogus surcharge that LH charges on award tickets these days, only appropriate they can get upgraded as well.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by Football Fan
I never fully left LH, but this was also the ONE thing that annoyed me the most, by far, of all the "enhancements". I went from being HON to BA GGL (and CCR). Part of it were the routes I had to take and simply much better fares at full Avios/Tier points, but part of it was also the "finger" by LH to its status guests by this particular policy. I even talked to someone who works at M&M about it and he just laughed and said, yes, this was discussed quite heavily. It was certainly not an accident.
i also never fully left because now I have been working in Switzerland for a\ year so I'm tied to LX/LH unless I want to change planes in London (no I don't want to do that thanks).

but I am not renewing my HON because to go anywhere else aside from Switzerland I now no longer fly with the LH group - what's the point when your perks are eroded, you get the same with less than 600k miles in 2 years from other airlines AND you get the staff in the F lounge at Zurich berating you for asking for a limo transfer to a remote stand when your plane is late and you went through there to find the onward flight is also late?

plus, the Xmas gifts are now frankly pants, and with the new booking system where you have to wait till last minute to be able to book the business class seat of your qualifying fare class they can go jump as far as I'm concerned.

hmph.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by adpucci
i also never fully left because now I have been working in Switzerland for a\ year so I'm tied to LX/LH unless I want to change planes in London (no I don't want to do that thanks).

but I am not renewing my HON because to go anywhere else aside from Switzerland I now no longer fly with the LH group - what's the point when your perks are eroded, you get the same with less than 600k miles in 2 years from other airlines AND you get the staff in the F lounge at Zurich berating you for asking for a limo transfer to a remote stand when your plane is late and you went through there to find the onward flight is also late?

plus, the Xmas gifts are now frankly pants, and with the new booking system where you have to wait till last minute to be able to book the business class seat of your qualifying fare class they can go jump as far as I'm concerned.

hmph.
What?! That I am really unaware of....

Anyone has any info on this?
Old Oct 27, 2015, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by GRUflyer
What?! That I am really unaware of....

Anyone has any info on this?
No idea what he is on about?
Sounds like nonsense to me IMHO.
(I couldn't care less what the Christmas present might be by the way...)
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by adpucci
...you get the staff in the F lounge at Zurich berating you for asking for a limo transfer to a remote stand when your plane is late and you went through there to find the onward flight is also late?
???

Never had any issues with limo transfer in ZRH.
When outbound was late, they gave me the info, so that I could relax a bit more in the lounge.
When inbound was late and the connection short, they did pick me up at apron position or at gate and drove me by limo to my onward connection.
Recently they did pick me up at gate A84 arriving at 5.10 PM and they drove me to apron position for my flight that was scheduled at 5.25 PM but had a new announced departure time of 5.40 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Lufthansa's op-up strategy makes no sense

I flew (and a few friends and acquaintances of mine) Lufthansa over the holidays in Business Class, and as one'd expect the majority of passengers during this time are leisure passengers. Flights are quite often overbooked, and upgrades occur as a result.

During my FRA-ARN segment last week, there was an overbooking situation where Lufthansa decided to split up a family of 5 and upgrade their two young daughters into Business Class. Obviously they were traveling on T-fares (saw the boarding pass) and on no status. I spotted at least a dozen Star Gold and Senator tags at the gate.

This wasn't an isolated incident, as it also happened a few days later when a friend of mine flew the same route. Family was split up once again, no status and low booking class.

What exactly is the logic behind upgrading passengers without status over those with status, and who spend tens of thousands of € on Lufthansa yearly. Doesn't it make more sense to upgrade two status passengers traveling alone, rather than splitting up families? The fact that this has happened on multiple occasions suggest that it wasn't an isolated incident.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, QR Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5-star
Not much knowledge or experience with op-ups but I flew SN JFK-BRU on one of the lowest booking classes with 2 other non status pax and got all three upgraded.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
I agree that these incidences are strange. However, I think it still qualifies as anecdotical evidence. There may be very specific reasons as to why some pax where upgraded in a particular context. Generally speaking I find LH's upgrade policy fairly consistent (based on what I read here, experience myself and reports from friends and co-workers).

I got sandwich upgrades twice in 2016 and both times there were only very few business travelers on board.

There can be several reasons not to upgrade a status pax e.g. special meal requests (certainly not applicable on intra-european flights).
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by LH4116
What exactly is the logic behind upgrading passengers without status over those with status, and who spend tens of thousands of € on Lufthansa yearly.
Who says, that they haven't spent 10 of thousands of €? The fact, that you have status with an airline, doesn't imply that you're a loyal customer of theirs or that you even spend thousands of Euros on them. Vice versa, there are probably people out there, that spend thousands of euros without acquiring a status with said airline.

Moreover, if we take the "has status with the airline" argument into account, it justifies the op-up of non-status passengers. A FF with top FFS is loyal to the brand (or at least the alliance), whereas a passenger without FFS might not be as loyal. Giving that passenger an op-up, might just convince them to keep flying LH in the future.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by WorldLux
whereas a passenger without FFS might not be as loyal. Giving that passenger an op-up, might just convince them to keep flying LH in the future.
I strongly doubt the above anecdote is behind LH's algorithm to upgrade passenger X rather than passenger Y. Other than reporting to friends & family, most price-sensitive passengers will not really contribute to any sort of loyalty for a given airline and will still head towards cost-convenience criteria when deciding [who to travel with]. My opinion, needless to say, as I have no knowledge whatsoever of LH upgrade's modus operandi.

G
Old Jan 10, 2017, 1:11 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Just google pcv on amadeus altea. Airlines customise this pcv according to their needs to do a number of things from seating to op-ups.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Who says, that they haven't spent 10 of thousands of €? The fact, that you have status with an airline, doesn't imply that you're a loyal customer of theirs or that you even spend thousands of Euros on them. Vice versa, there are probably people out there, that spend thousands of euros without acquiring a status with said airline.
Well I'm speaking for myself here. I don't see myself as loyal to any particular airline, though I fly mostly on SAS and Lufthansa in Europe, with the odd TK flight thrown in every now and then. Last year I spend the equivalent of a mid-size car in revenue to Star Alliance, and a good chunk of that came from full fare tickets. So yes there may be some "cheap" Star Golds out there, including many Senators but on average status customers are way more profitable then the annual leisure flyer traveling on a T-fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.