Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/Gold
My family of four is traveling this month from Europe back to US on a United a 2018 booking "first bag charge/no change allowed" (precursor to Lite) fare. On our one ticket we fly on a short flight to FRA on LH then connect to a United flight home. My wife and I are UA*G, and our children are not. We're all on the same PNR.

Does anybody know from experience -- will Lufthansa allow us to have four free 23kg bags since there are four of us on the record, or will they only allow the two adult *G members to check bags for free?
Old Apr 12, 2019, 2:08 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Only each *G gets a bag extra. Nada for others in the PNR.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/Gold
An update on our experience this week. Perhaps our check-in agent bent the rules, or perhaps we lucked out. But the four of us were allowed to check in four bags with no fee.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HerbFlyer
An update on our experience this week. Perhaps our check-in agent bent the rules, or perhaps we lucked out. But the four of us were allowed to check in four bags with no fee.
if this was the return then the outbound UA bag rules would apply anyway for this kind of ticket + 1 extra bag for SAG each. Sounds about right to me that you got 4 bags on w/o any charges.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 8:52 pm

I was not able to get my fee for the checked bag waived.

Flew on a Lufthansa 220-plated Eco Light ticket DUS-FRA-JFK (both legs on Lufthansa metal) as a Singapore Airlines Star Gold member. When checking in at the Star Gold/Business desk in DUS was told that the EUR 50 bag must be paid if I want the bag to fly with me. I pointed out that according to the Lufthansa website Star Gold members on a transatlantic ticket are exempt from the fee but was told by the agent that she has no ability to override the computer's demand for the bag payment, so in the end had I had to pay the EUR 50 bag fee to get it checked.

After arrival in the US sent an email to the Luftahansa customer service desk attaching a quote from the lufthansa.com website stating that the bag fee does not apply to Star Alliance Gold members flying on a transatlantic ticket as well as a link to that statement on their website. Fully expected to be refunded the EUR 50 fee, but instead got an email back with a denial on the following basis:

"When a light fare ticket is purchased by our passengers, according to our policies the baggage allowance is 1 piece of carry-on baggage up to 8 kg. The transportation of bags exceeding the free baggage allowance is considered as an additional service. That is why our staff charged a fee of 50 EUR at the departure airport.

While we understand your request to receive a refund for the excess baggage fee, we nonetheless aim to treat all our passengers in a fair and equal manner. That is why we cannot exempt individual travelers from complying with our baggage rules, regardless of the reason, and thank you for your understanding."

Is this denial legit because it included a domestic segment (DUS-FRA, albeit this was all on one ticket)? And if not, is there any way of escalating this request? If so, how?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this, because I, frankly, find it puzzling.
Old Apr 30, 2019, 10:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Rafi1
I was not able to get my fee for the checked bag waived.

Flew on a Lufthansa 220-plated Eco Light ticket DUS-FRA-JFK (both legs on Lufthansa metal) as a Singapore Airlines Star Gold member. When checking in at the Star Gold/Business desk in DUS was told that the EUR 50 bag must be paid if I want the bag to fly with me. I pointed out that according to the Lufthansa website Star Gold members on a transatlantic ticket are exempt from the fee but was told by the agent that she has no ability to override the computer's demand for the bag payment, so in the end had I had to pay the EUR 50 bag fee to get it checked.

After arrival in the US sent an email to the Luftahansa customer service desk attaching a quote from the lufthansa.com website stating that the bag fee does not apply to Star Alliance Gold members flying on a transatlantic ticket as well as a link to that statement on their website. Fully expected to be refunded the EUR 50 fee, but instead got an email back with a denial on the following basis:

"When a light fare ticket is purchased by our passengers, according to our policies the baggage allowance is 1 piece of carry-on baggage up to 8 kg. The transportation of bags exceeding the free baggage allowance is considered as an additional service. That is why our staff charged a fee of 50 EUR at the departure airport.

While we understand your request to receive a refund for the excess baggage fee, we nonetheless aim to treat all our passengers in a fair and equal manner. That is why we cannot exempt individual travelers from complying with our baggage rules, regardless of the reason, and thank you for your understanding."

Is this denial legit because it included a domestic segment (DUS-FRA, albeit this was all on one ticket)? And if not, is there any way of escalating this request? If so, how?

Would appreciate any thoughts on this, because I, frankly, find it puzzling.
Just file a DoT complaint; it's less work for you
Old Aug 27, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I'm still scratching my head and this really drives me nuts. I booked a 016 (UA) ticket that includes two segments operated and coded by LH. The segments are intra-Europe through FRA. The booking code is "S" and Lufthansa.com simply says "Economy (S)". Doesn't say Lite, Classic, Flex, etc. So which is it??

I can't find anywhere on Lufthansa.com and the reservation there that mentions anything about baggage - whether it's included or whether I am expected to pay.

Note, however, that the UA ticket shows I get one free bag on the Lufthansa flights. I'm guessing if LH tries to charge me I can show them the ticket and get it waived. Or, I'm going to have to go back to United to get them to reimburse me. Just would rather not deal with the hassle in the first place. And I don't trust the details on UA tickets. It shows the first bag is $0 and the second bag is $100 which wouldn't be accurate because I'm *G. I either get zero bags or two bags.

How can I figure out which kind of Economy fare I have on the Lufthansa segments?

Thank you.

-RM
Old Aug 27, 2019, 11:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
. And I don't trust the details on UA tickets. It shows the first bag is $0 and the second bag is $100 which wouldn't be accurate because I'm *G. I either get zero bags or two bags.
Ignoring everything else you've written, I want to address this. Your last statement is correct but has nothing to do with the details on the ticket. Your ticketed allowance will be either 0 or 1 in economy and would be the same for every single person who buys the same ticket as you regardless of status. Any bags which are owed to you due to status will be calculated at check in. Imagine you booked a UA ticket on only AA Y domestic flights somehow -- your ticketed allowance would be 0 and you would receive 0. A UA ticket on only UA Y domestic flights: your ticketed allowance would be 0 and you would receive whatever you're entitled to due to your status.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 12:49 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I'm still scratching my head and this really drives me nuts. I booked a 016 (UA) ticket that includes two segments operated and coded by LH. The segments are intra-Europe through FRA. The booking code is "S" and Lufthansa.com simply says "Economy (S)". Doesn't say Lite, Classic, Flex, etc. So which is it??

I can't find anywhere on Lufthansa.com and the reservation there that mentions anything about baggage - whether it's included or whether I am expected to pay.

Note, however, that the UA ticket shows I get one free bag on the Lufthansa flights. I'm guessing if LH tries to charge me I can show them the ticket and get it waived. Or, I'm going to have to go back to United to get them to reimburse me. Just would rather not deal with the hassle in the first place. And I don't trust the details on UA tickets. It shows the first bag is $0 and the second bag is $100 which wouldn't be accurate because I'm *G. I either get zero bags or two bags.

How can I figure out which kind of Economy fare I have on the Lufthansa segments?

Thank you.

-RM
If you check your passenger receipt you should be able to determine your luggage allowance (23K, 1PC etc.). If your entire trip is within Europe you *might* also be able to determine the fare type by looking at the fare base. They have implemented some logic in there:

If the fare base contains
"LGT" that means it's a light fare (zero baggage allowance).
"CLS" -> classic
"FLX -> flex

Extra baggage allowances based on status will never show up on the passenger receipt. So the 1 bag allowance is actually correct. *G benefits are recognized at checkin only.
Old Aug 28, 2019, 1:32 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

If the segments inside Europe are part of a transatlantic ticket then the baggage allowance of the entire ticket applies. The light system is only for intra Europe tickets or on light fares for transatlantic tickets.
kaffir76 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 1:46 am
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Anyone with more recent real life experience? I have read mixed reports about free checked luggage on transatlantic light fares on posts dated in 2019. On LH's website, it mentions a gesture of goodwill for 1 free checked luggage on light fares for *G for the time being. TIA.

LAX
Old Feb 16, 2020, 2:23 am

2 weeks ago we flew to US and back on Lufthansa on a light fare. No problem to check-in one bag as a SEN, and both ways they also checked our hand-luggage for free.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 2:01 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Later this week, departing BCN on LH operated AC codeshare as TP *G... certainly expecting the bags! will report.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 12:29 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, AY Plat
I have a possible RT with LH, HEL-FRA-BEY. I am a TK *G. I am thinking of booking a Light Fare. Will the "goodwill" gesture of one free checked bag apply to all itinerary/legs? LH website refers on one hand to intercontinental (goodwill 1 bag) and Europe (0 bags) on the other. Is FRA-BEY intercontinental or do they have another definition for that segment?

I am a bit confused about LH's website to say the least. Maybe it is easier to book TK or QR and let LH be.
Old Feb 15, 2021, 1:52 am

Flight numbers 400-799 are considered intercont.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.