Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Granite64
It's L and T class on the FRA-BKK and BKK-FRA segments but it does not say Economy Light on the AMS-FRA and FRA-AMS segments so I think I should be good.
Anyway, thank you for your help. ^
Letters don't matter. It would say Light for an HBO.

Originally Posted by Granite64
BTW, what do they allow like a small bag/suitcase + one personal item? Or is it just 1 small bag/suitcase?
A personal item (purse or a laptop bag) is always allowed, also on HBO fares on shorthaul.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:31 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
Letters don't matter. It would say Light for an HBO.

A personal item (purse or a laptop bag) is always allowed, also on HBO fares on shorthaul.
Thank you so much
Old Jan 10, 2019, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
I’m still confused checking the latest websites. Will a Star Gold get a free check-in luggage traveling on a Light fare, or not? And does it permit lounge access?
Old Jan 10, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
Lounge - yes, luggage - no.
Old Jan 10, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Confirmed: Lounge - yes, luggage - yes

I was able to find the right place online after calling Lufthansa, who confirmed the free luggage and showed me the reference.

Open lufthansa.com -> Click on menu icon top right (three lines) -> Second column from left click on "Baggage" -> On next page click on "Free baggage" -> Click on "Free baggage allowances for status customers"

For Star Gold it says for Economy Light "Carry-on baggage only, up to 8 kg (3)". Scroll down and read the (3) reference:

(3) = As a gesture of goodwill, for the time being HON Circle Members, Senators and Star Alliance Gold members can, however, take one piece of baggage up to 23 kg free of charge. This goodwill gesture applies exclusively at the airport check-in counter. When booking a piece of baggage e.g. online or at a travel agency, a baggage charge applies.
Alawyer likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2019, 12:53 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
That "gesture of goodwill" applies to long-haul flights in Economy Light. On pure short-haul itineraries (e.g. FRA-VIE) that are not part of a long-haul ticket, your checked bag allowance as a *G is zero - same as SEN and HON.
Alawyer likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Hi all! Apologies if this has been answered already but I'm wondering about the following scenario:

*G booked in Economy Light, purchasing one checked bag - does the 1+1 for *G apply to the purchased bag as well, i.e. do I now have a bag allowance of 2?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:19 am

No, just one bag
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM
Meh. Thanks for the quick response!
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
No, just one bag
Hi YuropFlyer,

are you sure? I am quite sure that 2 or 3 times I paid for 1 bag and I was allowed to check in 2.

Thanks,
Old Mar 26, 2019, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by more4less

Hi YuropFlyer,

are you sure? I am quite sure that 2 or 3 times I paid for 1 bag and I was allowed to check in 2.

Thanks,
200% sure. On light you don’t get any extra free bags. You pay for everything. Long haul light gets one bag for free but not extra bag. If you are *G
Old Apr 2, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by more4less

Hi YuropFlyer,

Thanks,
If you paid for the bag as an add-on to Light you will get 0+1 = 1; if you effectively paid for the bag by booking a STD ticket you would get 1+1 = 2. So in your case it should be 1 bag as a *G.

It's an irritation that you essentially either get 0 or 2 bags as a *G without add-on purchases. It reminds me of how annoying it is to have to choose between 64 and 256GB for iPhones/iPads when the lower number is a bit too little, the higher amount is way too much, and the Goldilocks 128GB option has been removed (see latest iPad 5 Mini, for instance).
Old Apr 2, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by yurtripper
If you paid for the bag as an add-on to Light you will get 0+1 = 1; if you effectively paid for the bag by booking a STD ticket you would get 1+1 = 2. So in your case it should be 1 bag as a *G.

It's an irritation that you essentially either get 0 or 2 bags as a *G without add-on purchases. It reminds me of how annoying it is to have to choose between 64 and 256GB for iPhones/iPads when the lower number is a bit too little, the higher amount is way too much, and the Goldilocks 128GB option has been removed (see latest iPad 5 Mini, for instance).
Thanks yurtripper, I imagine this was the case, nevertheless I remember once in LX purchasing the bag as an add on and I am quite sure I checked in 2 bags, but probably it was not the case or the check in agent allowed it
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:00 pm

Reading below I wonder if LX outbound light and LH return light would not include a free bag per Star Alliance policy, seems it would be applying only if at least two Star A carriers are involved in a single ticket. Which would be the case ...

[QUOTE=warakorn;25539582]

I am reading that statement on http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/

Quote:
3. This benefit may only be available if travelling on two or more Star Alliance member airlines on a single ticket. Please contact the Star Alliance member airline with whom you will check-in with for further details
Old Apr 4, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: AY+, SK EB
[QUOTE=f4free;30961363]Reading below I wonder if LX outbound light and LH return light would not include a free bag per Star Alliance policy, seems it would be applying only if at least two Star A carriers are involved in a single ticket. Which would be the case ...

Originally Posted by warakorn

I am reading that statement on http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/

Quote:
3. This benefit may only be available if travelling on two or more Star Alliance member airlines on a single ticket. Please contact the Star Alliance member airline with whom you will check-in with for further details
1. In regards of this benefit LH, LX, OS and SN are considered as one airline.
2. And I think you need to mix two airlines on each direction to be on the safe side.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.