Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You are on two different tickets?

SOP: Bags will not be checked through, unless you pay the bag fee.
Maybe you get lucky and the check in agent may waive the fee.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 9:23 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Yes- nested inter-EU flights within international J legs.

Sigh- this is not nearly as fun anymore. It's also wrong that there is no clear indication of "light" vs other fares -and the restrictions that come with them- when booking via UA.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:22 pm

what about award flights?

Using UA miles to book an award ticket in economy from US to Europe... for instance, TATL flight to CDG on UA, stopover for a week, then CDG-ATH on LH/LX/OS (via FRA, MUC, ZRH or VIE). Will the intra-Europe flights, which should book into class X, be considered a "light" fare class?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
Using UA miles to book an award ticket in economy from US to Europe... for instance, TATL flight to CDG on UA, stopover for a week, then CDG-ATH on LH/LX/OS (via FRA, MUC, ZRH or VIE). Will the intra-Europe flights, which should book into class X, be considered a "light" fare class?
No, economy awards include baggage.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 6:37 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
The 20€ difference between Economy Light and Economy Classic actually includes one checked bag and advance seat reservation. Seat reservation for a standard seat costs 10€ and an exit row seat 25€. If you are SEN and want to check a bag and reserve an exit row seat for no extra cost, Economy Classic can be a very good value.
Did I understand this correctly...non-status customer pays 35€ and a SEN pays 20€ for the same thing. A customer with at least 100,000 miles of multiple year loyalty saves a 'whopping' 15€ over someone who's never flown with LH and might never again?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:11 am

Excuse me for bumping this thread, just wonder what the take is on this, Im on a LH Economy Light Fare and have paid the 25 Euro for one 23kg bag, I have *G, do you think they will let me take an additional bag of 23kg or flat out refuse as the original fare booked doesnt include any luggage?
Thanks.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Croupier
Excuse me for bumping this thread, just wonder what the take is on this, Im on a LH Economy Light Fare and have paid the 25 Euro for one 23kg bag, I have *G, do you think they will let me take an additional bag of 23kg or flat out refuse as the original fare booked doesnt include any luggage?
Thanks.
No additional bags on light fares.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by malmostoso
No additional bags on light fares.
One of the reasons to book CLASSIC if luggage is of the essence.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:02 am

I only wish the LH group would allow to book multiple travellers in different fares. NZ allows that, all in one booking, no fuss. But to avoid overpaying on LH/LX I have to split my bookings and then "reunite" them at check-in.

I understand taking the customers by exhaustion and having them just pay for classic is exactly the point of it, by the way.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
I only wish the LH group would allow to book multiple travellers in different fares. NZ allows that, all in one booking, no fuss. But to avoid overpaying on LH/LX I have to split my bookings and then "reunite" them at check-in.

I understand taking the customers by exhaustion and having them just pay for classic is exactly the point of it, by the way.
Oh yes, the joy of booking daddy on a CLASSIC ticket and mommy plus kids on LIGHT ticket to save 200 euro...
Also if the availability in cheapest bucket is less than 4 you will save extra money using this
Old May 12, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: TK*G
I understand that one can purchase checked luggage after purchasing a Economy Light fare. May I know for *G, do I still get 2 free checked luggage or just 1 in that case? Thanks a lot.
Old May 12, 2018, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by bart simpson
I understand that one can purchase checked luggage after purchasing a Economy Light fare. May I know for *G, do I still get 2 free checked luggage or just 1 in that case? Thanks a lot.
No additional allowance on light tickets. If you buy one bag, you get one bag.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:27 am

Programs: TK*G
No additional allowance on light tickets. If you buy one bag, you get one bag.
Okay, great. Thanks a lot.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 8:46 am

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
My question may have been answered but I could not find a definitive answer.

I booked a ticket on United.com (UA ticket number) for my BIL to travel from JFK-BRU-BOM and BOM-ZRH-JFK, with outbound with SN flight numbers (Operated by Brussels as well) and inbound on LX (operated on Swiss) and UA (operated on Swiss) flight numbers. UA ticket clearly shows baggage allowance of 2 checked bags. But when I go to Brussels site (who'll likely handle checkin since the first flight is through them) - it says its a economy light fare and does not include checked bags.

Can anyone tell which baggage policy will apply - one provided by United when booking the ticket (and in confirmation) or Brussel's no-bag policy? Reason I'm asking is that it is within 24 hours and I can cancel this ticket - because if the baggage fees are charged both ways, it would end up being $540 in fees for 2 bags, I might as well book something else instead.

Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
If you have free bags on confirmation, they should honor them, or at the worst case, refund your bag fees. Do you have access to the actual fare basis somewhere? We might be able to glance more of that than Brussels website does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.