Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
....While the LH Miles&More website is not mentioning this exception at all. (only in the footnote no. 20)

http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...l=en&cid=18002
(20) With the new Light fare, additional free baggage allowance or free golf equipment allowance are no longer available on inner-European Economy Class flights operated by Austrian Airlines, Lufthansa or SWISS.
Funny M&M forgot to include SN.

Does this light fare policy affects other benefits such as priority check in and lounge access?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Not for the moment.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
Originally Posted by gojko88
Not for the moment.
what is does effect: no free seat reservation for sen/hon
Old Oct 15, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by kasi
what is does effect: no free seat reservation for sen/hon
It renders the NEK seat more 'exclusive' !

So 'funny' that the pc crowd and the LH management have turned both 'inclusive' and 'exclusive' into invectives in a mere decade ....
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC S100k MM, Hilton Diamond
Just got caught by this - Air Canada SE MM

Caught at ZRH to pay for 3 bags as part of a transatlantic trip (Air Canada YUL - GVA then various LX and LH internal flights for a family vacation). This was news to me that Star Gold has no luggage rights if you book an economy ticket on Swiss. Never had this before on any other *A carrier (I do 250-350k a year on Star Alliance with Air Canada as my home airline).

I am a business owner - as most high mileage flyers are - and know the first rule of business, which is keep your most loyal customers happy. For my next YUL - ZRH trip (which leaves at an annoyingly early time when I take LX direct), which is a route I do every couple of months, I think I'll take either BA or AF. While I have to connect, the flights leave at an easier time from YUL - and I'm especially impressed by Skyteam, with Delta doing a much better job in the US than United.

By annoying me over a stupid CHF35 luggage fee (*2 with CHF 90 for the third bag!) they have just lost a $4-6,000 ticket from the CEO of a business which controls 20+ other high mileage consultants. Lufthansa / Swiss - you are really that stupid? I guess the answer is yep - yes you are.

I was particularly impressed by the Swiss Representative in ZRH, processing my extortionate luggage fee, who commented "I don't really care what you have to say about what other airlines do". Classy stuff.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by panaguy
Caught at ZRH to pay for 3 bags as part of a transatlantic trip (Air Canada YUL - GVA then various LX and LH internal flights for a family vacation). This was news to me that Star Gold has no luggage rights if you book an economy ticket on Swiss. Never had this before on any other *A carrier (I do 250-350k a year on Star Alliance with Air Canada as my home airline).

I am a business owner - as most high mileage flyers are - and know the first rule of business, which is keep your most loyal customers happy. For my next YUL - ZRH trip (which leaves at an annoyingly early time when I take LX direct), which is a route I do every couple of months, I think I'll take either BA or AF. While I have to connect, the flights leave at an easier time from YUL - and I'm especially impressed by Skyteam, with Delta doing a much better job in the US than United.

By annoying me over a stupid CHF35 luggage fee (*2 with CHF 90 for the third bag!) they have just lost a $4-6,000 ticket from the CEO of a business which controls 20+ other high mileage consultants. Lufthansa / Swiss - you are really that stupid? I guess the answer is yep - yes you are.

I was particularly impressed by the Swiss Representative in ZRH, processing my extortionate luggage fee, who commented "I don't really care what you have to say about what other airlines do". Classy stuff.
Was this part of the TATL ticket, or were these flights separate? *if* you booked them via the Swiss website the luggage allowance of 0 should've been obvious, *if* you booked them via AC but separately to the TATL then my condolences, they wouldn't warn you about the lack of luggage.

That said expecting 3 free bags is somewhat naive, apart from AC I haven't come across any airlines giving 3 free bags to *G. At most 2 with UA, LH/LX, SN, SAS, and extra weight with SQ. (Edited: to be clear: the 2 bags with LH/LX, SN, SAS is only in cases where you already got one bag on the ticket, i.e. TATL and mixed-carrier flights. For other flights without a ticketed allowance you'll get 0 bags on most, and 1 bag on UA - even as *G.)

And no, other airlines aren't necessarily better. BA's hand-baggage-only fares also result in no luggage for status members. Within *A it's the same story on NZ (and also the rest of LH group). It sucks, but it's also the way things are.

Last edited by televisor; Aug 2, 2016 at 8:19 pm
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by televisor
That said expecting 3 free bags is somewhat naive, apart from AC I haven't come across any airlines giving 3 free bags to *G. At most 2 with UA, LH/LX, SN, SAS, and extra weight with SQ.
UA only allows free 1 bag for *A Gold
Old Aug 2, 2016, 8:08 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

If booked on the same PNR as the TATL, you should've gotten at least 2 free bags.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold
Originally Posted by televisor
Was this part of the TATL ticket, or were these flights separate? *if* you booked them via the Swiss website the luggage allowance of 0 should've been obvious, *if* you booked them via AC but separately to the TATL then my condolences, they wouldn't warn you about the lack of luggage.
Same applies to LH. It is quite transparent that *Gold will not help in connection with a light fare. I do not like the fare structure with light/classic/flex in addition to the different fare 'buckets' but I find the luggage part to be very clear and its the least of issues I have with this fare structure.

The information on the LH website reads like this:
Important information
Please note: Also for HON Circle Members, Senators, Frequent Traveller and Star Alliance Gold Members, the Light fare does not include additional free baggage or golf equipment allowance.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:14 pm

It's called "Selberschuld" and it's as far as Swiss empathy goes.

As others have said, check whether this leg was part of a larger PNR. If it's a separate ticket, then I'm afraid you have no recourse since rules are clearly mentioned.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:31 pm
Raf

Programs: M@M FT, Flying Blue, BA Exec. Club, CSA Plus
Guys,

The straight solution is to buy a ticket with LO Segment. Always get a 2 pcs.of checked baggage limit.
They checked my lug. without a hassle on different PNR's WAW-MAD (LO/L)-ZRH(LX/C)-YUL (LX/C)-YVR(AC/C).It works and bag arrived as planned on Vancouver. That's the truly power of *A. Absolutely.

Cheers from British Columbia,

Raf
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:25 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN

I am a business owner - as most high mileage flyers are - and know the first rule of business, which is keep your most loyal customers happy.

On LX longhaul, *G get an extra bag. But not their companion(s). This thread is about LX regional hand baggage only fares not giving any additional bags for *G @:-)

BTW, you are the most loyal customer of AC I presume?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 12:32 am

I appreciate this is a rant, at a particularly emotional time. However rationally thinking, switching to BA or Air France/KLM will still give you the same problem that the cheapest intra EU tickets (purchased separately from the long haul) come with no free luggage.
Additionally, whoever booked your tickets could have paid €20 more and booked the classic fare, which would have allowed you 2 free pcs of luggage - maybe this is a better solution than connecting in LHR/CDG.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I consider your statement very inappropriate.
Within Europe is increasingly getting more difficult to get a free bag on the cheapest fares.
This was news to me that Star Gold has no luggage rights if you book an economy ticket on Swiss.
Did you book your tickets on swiss.com?
Old Aug 3, 2016, 3:57 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Raf
Guys,

The straight solution is to buy a ticket with LO Segment. Always get a 2 pcs.of checked baggage limit.
Raf
That is because when the itin contains non-LH-group airlines (eg LO) the fares are automatically pushed to Classic - which includes luggage. You pay for the classic fare as well then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.