Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New "Light" Flight Class means ZERO bags for star alliance gold members

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
You may also argue it is somewhat a bit deceiptful by the passenger, if he selects a HBO fare and then still want to check in a bag. He obviously purchased the wrong product then.

Its like you buying an iPhone. The seller is promising you a second iPhone, when you purchase one iPhone.
Would you ask the seller to get an extra iPhone, if you just buy a cheap-version Android phone?
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:51 am

I might, if the packing looked very similar and the seller mumbled into his beard that i am actually about to buy an Android phone.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:36 am

Main problem is that the airline employees also don't get the rules. I recently called NZ but got completely confusing answers that contradict the web site information. Similar issues with LH...
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
I don't think the LH group gets it at all....if I wanted to be "nickel and dimed" I'd fly the discount carriers (where I can ALWAYS find lower fares). There is no mileage upside in flying LH, what's left? It's a shame that they let themselves be pulled into this race to the bottom. Given their cost structure and top down, tone deaf management it's not a game they'll ever win.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by DCFFlyer
I don't think the LH group gets it at all....if I wanted to be "nickel and dimed" I'd fly the discount carriers (where I can ALWAYS find lower fares). There is no mileage upside in flying LH, what's left? It's a shame that they let themselves be pulled into this race to the bottom. Given their cost structure and top down, tone deaf management it's not a game they'll ever win.
Quite right. So, I take it that you don't book "LIGHT" fares. But, consumers who travel without checked bags can elect these fares and save money.

I simply do not understand why giving consumers a choice is a bad thing, e.g., "because LH Group gives me a choice, I'm going to fly some ULCC."
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I simply do not understand why giving consumers a choice is a bad thing, e.g., "because LH Group gives me a choice, I'm going to fly some ULCC."
Anecdotally though it seems to me that the HBO fares have the same price of the previous luggage fares, the net result is that I get less for my money. And in the meantime LH double dips by selling more cargo space.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
But, consumers who travel without checked bags can elect these fares and save money.
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Anecdotally though it seems to me that the HBO fares have the same price of the previous luggage fares, the net result is that I get less for my money.
That, of course, has been the driving force behind all this "giving the customer a choice" crap that has been going on at most airlines in the past decade.

It is a race to the bottom that LCCs have started and legacy carriers have willingly joined.

"Giving the consumer a choice" would mean lowering base ticket prices, thereby passing savings to pax who choose not to use certain previously included services, while pegging base fare + add-ons to the level where prior inclusive prices were. If this actually happened, I'd be all for it.

Reality obviously is nothing like this. And while I understand the business logic, I really hate being talked to like a fool.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:07 pm

What some of the above posters forget is that the HBO fares are ridiculously expensive. Example (from wifey's booking today): FRA-HAM-FRA costs EUR 688 in economy light. This is an outright ridiculous pricing - Ryanair service at Lufthansa prices.

So i think it is fair for Star Gold members to expect significant benefits to go along with such fares.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: SK *S, LH *S; Accor ALL Gold
For what it's worth, all of this only applies to the Lufthansa Group itself.

On LOT, the Economy Simple fare (which is what Economy Light is on LH) still allows for the bags extension specified in your M&M status on top of the zero checked-in bags that applies to the non-status pax. This means FTLs can check-in one bag for free on Eco Simple.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by airoli
That, of course, has been the driving force behind all this "giving the customer a choice" crap that has been going on at most airlines in the past decade.

It is a race to the bottom that LCCs have started and legacy carriers have willingly joined.

"Giving the consumer a choice" would mean lowering base ticket prices, thereby passing savings to pax who choose not to use certain previously included services, while pegging base fare + add-ons to the level where prior inclusive prices were. If this actually happened, I'd be all for it.

Reality obviously is nothing like this. And while I understand the business logic, I really hate being talked to like a fool.
Consumer choice then suggests you book on FR. The fool is one who perceives FR to be better value and continues to book LH.

If the free market moved from LH to FR, LH would either lower prices, increase services or go under.

But, an analyst at LH reviewing this thread would say to himself, "the fools will pay more to fly us, so there is no reason to lower prices or provide free bags, better snacks or hotter hand towels."
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:23 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
If the free market moved from LH to FR, LH would either lower prices, increase services or go under.
And based on some of the financial numbers coming out of these two carriers, it seems that the free market is indeed at work, albeit slowy.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Looked up the prices for VIE-BRU-VIE the other day, and for certain dates the light fare earned 750 miles and cost 530€. I can imagine someone paying this amount of money to be a tad surprised at check-in when asked for extra cash to check bags, even more so if the traveller would be a status holder.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
Looked up the prices for VIE-BRU-VIE the other day, and for certain dates the light fare earned 750 miles and cost 530€. I can imagine someone paying this amount of money to be a tad surprised at check-in when asked for extra cash to check bags, even more so if the traveller would be a status holder.
Fully agree. LH plays light-touch service at premium pricing. Makes me question Lufti's original rationale which was to introduce the new slimmed down fares to compete with low cost carriers: Show me the low cost, please!
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:36 am

Originally Posted by CalFlyer
Show me the low cost, please!
I don't think a "low cost" concept was ever the plan for the captive markets of BRU, VIE, FRA, and MUC.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 5:51 am

Programs: IHG SE, Bonvoy Plat, DL Plat, UA PPlat, EK Gold
Angry

Originally Posted by malmostoso
Anecdotally though it seems to me that the HBO fares have the same price of the previous luggage fares, the net result is that I get less for my money. And in the meantime LH double dips by selling more cargo space.
Exactly!!! It's not choice, it's a tax. I usually fly with carryon only BUT if I'm going to pay LH much higher than average fares then I don't want to get hit with some usurious fee just because I decided to check a bag on my return.

I think they let greed or stupidity (or both) get the best of them on this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.