Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

LH CC: one mile for two Euros if not using the [German] CC for business

Old Oct 7, 15, 9:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G

Not sure if this should be here or in the CC forum - anyway, DKB just announced a change in terms and conditions as of 9 Dec. 2015. The most important change is that anyone using the CC privately will only get half the miles (except for Überweisungsservice) going forward.

Of course, the cover letter more or less invites business card holders to not inform Lufthansa if they use the card privately, but I'm not convinced that this is a good approach, so I'm going to take a hard look at whether the card is worth retaining without status.

Any views on possible alternative CCs welcome. Miles/lack of notwithstanding (I'm crediting to A3 anyway), the car and travel insurance are rather attractive IMHO even @70 EUR/year.
Old Oct 7, 15, 1:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Stupid question but what is the difference between privately held and business credit card ? Can business card be only ordered by employer ?
Old Oct 8, 15, 2:07 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
I received the same letter and I am still wondering what would happen if I would use the card as I do now.

What surprises me most is the fact that the letter states the I choose the "Business" version of the card. When I signed up many years ago, this type of card was not even available - in the terms that the version I choose is not allowed at all for private usage. DKB/LH changed the card setup some time ago and I was given the "Business" version as a result. I even didn't have a choice.

I any case, I pay quite some money and I am give less for that. Their argument is that their costs are higher due to EU regulation. Other CC cost less and give me almost the same service.
Old Oct 8, 15, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
We will see the same thing for almost every private credit card. EU put a cap on merchant fees for private cards. As somebody has to pay for all the little extras these will probably partly enhanced away.
Old Oct 8, 15, 2:25 am

Wasn't the "business" version like a premier one, with a higher fee (but free for SEN)?
Old Oct 8, 15, 2:53 am

Programs: Miles & More, Amex
Originally Posted by Lack View Post
Wasn't the "business" version like a premier one, with a higher fee (but free for SEN)?
AFAIK, it was. And it was not limited to business usage only. Now, the same card is.
Old Oct 8, 15, 4:19 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by ObserverA3 View Post
Any views on possible alternative CCs welcome. Miles/lack of notwithstanding (I'm crediting to A3 anyway), the car and travel insurance are rather attractive IMHO even @70 EUR/year.
If you are in search for a free credit card the American Express Payback co-branding card seems to be a good solution. It has no annual fee forever.

There are two combinable sources of points:
1.) It has no annual fee and collects 0,50 Payback points for 1 Euro turnover.

Subsequently these can be changed to Lufthansa Miles with the ratio of 1:1 resulting in 0,50 Miles & More award miles per Euro turnover.

Something like double dipping:
2.) If you are shopping at Payback partners like Galeria Kaufhof, REWE full service supermarket there is an additional point accumulation of - usually - 0,50 points=Lufthansa Miles per Euro revenue.

dm has 1 Euro -> 1 Payback point -> 1 Lufthansa award mile

The conversion starts at 200 Payback point. So this card is no risk but fun.

Extensive information can be found here:
https://www.americanexpress.com/de/c...card2-cm-large

Normally additional 10 % on many items at Kaufhof (super sales, 6-Tage-Rennen etc. excluded).

Informations about the bonus programme can be found here:
https://www.payback.de/

Points accumulation here (sorry in German)
https://www.payback.de/pb/americanexpress/id/487288/

Waiving of the usual expiry date of Payback points:
"Sammeln, so lange und so viel Sie wollen. Kein Verfallsdatum. Keine Begrenzung."
You can collect as long as you like. No expiry date. No cap.

So if you are not Gold/silver status customer at Lufty the best way is to pile them up in the Amex/Payback point storage and convert them as late as possible to Lufty points.

Initial credit: At the moment 750 points = 7,50 Euro Payback available.

(Formerly some campaigns had 2,000/4,000 points = 20,00/40,00 Euro = 2000/4000 Lufty Miles start credit).

I think the offer is accepted so well that they at the moment only need the small incentive. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 10, 15, 1:27 am

I still have not received any letter, but I found this notice on the credit card website.

Apparently they will introduce a "World Plus" credit card that has all the "World Business" perks for SEN/HON, but with the 2€/1mile ratio.

I'm conflicted about what to do to be honest: I could just switch to the Payback AMEX, but here in Germany I don't think I'd be able to use it anywhere.

Are there any other credit cards in Germany that you know of, that offer the car rental insurance?
Old Oct 10, 15, 2:35 am

On another note: Does anybody know how much DKB has to pay to M&M for purchasing those miles? The price of miles must have come down dramatically in recent years with the massive miles devaluation.

So why is DKB now so stingy?
Old Oct 10, 15, 11:02 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post
The price of miles must have come down dramatically in recent years with the massive miles devaluation.
Do you seriously believe this? I would think the price of miles went up and they were devalued at the same time.

HTB.
Old Oct 10, 15, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by htb View Post
Do you seriously believe this? I would think the price of miles went up and they were devalued at the same time.

HTB.
well, I think that even the most ignorant bulk buyer of miles must have heard about devaluations. i don't think all these buyers are stupid.
Old Oct 11, 15, 2:35 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by CalFlyer View Post
well, I think that even the most ignorant bulk buyer of miles must have heard about devaluations. i don't think all these buyers are stupid.
These buyers don't buy them for themselves, but as incentives for others. And if the incentive still works... If anything, people are willing to pay more these days than less. I remember when 4€/1000 miles (magazine subscription) was a good deal. Now it's more like 9€/1000 miles that gets people excited.

HTB.
Old Oct 11, 15, 4:33 am

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
And certainly not anything more than €10 to 1,000 miles. Anything under €10 per 1,000 miles for the magazine subs these days is hard to find.

About the AMEX Payback card, it can be difficult to use it in Germany which has never been a credit card friendly country, to their credit! I believe you can choose 2 Payback partners which will give you double points, i.e. 1 point per Euro instead of 0.5 point. I chose Kaufhof and dm, shops I use quite often. None of the Rewe branches I use accept AMEX or any credit card. Maybe bigger ones do. And using it abroad is problematic. It was systematically rejected last week in Lanzarote.

Lastly, and quite important in my opinion, the customer service for the Payback AMEX is absolutely DREADFUL. I ended up getting really cross with these unhelpful, incoherent and disinterested people who man their lines although I try to never get audibly annoyed with call centre staff. So if you end up having any issues with the card you will have to deal with these idiots and it will make you think the card was not worth the bother (which I don't really think it is TBO).
Old Oct 11, 15, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
Germany which has never been a credit card friendly country,
I am still amazed every day that this is the country that is OK with Sofortüberweisung, but they can't seem to grasp the concept of credit cards.
Old Oct 11, 15, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by Concerto View Post
And certainly not anything more than €10 to 1,000 miles. Anything under €10 per 1,000 miles for the magazine subs these days is hard to find.
That might be higher prices of miles (M&M aiming for higher profit) or the vendor aiming for higher profit by trimming the costs.

I don't think M&M is in a position to charge double for miles vs what it was a couple years ago, so I reckon both sides "trimmed the fat".

Search this Thread
Search Engine: