Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa 747-8 J or Austrian 767 J

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:07 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More, Miles and Bonus, HHonors, Starwood, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Rambuster
I'd probably select the flights based on the schedule.
Later departure in IAD would be my choice in order to be able to sleep as best and long as possible.
Both depart around 6 PM. The OS flight is an hour longer since it is a bit further than FRA and a 767, whereas LUF is a 748
Old Oct 7, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by babiko
Both depart around 6 PM. The OS flight is an hour longer since it is a bit further than FRA and a 767, whereas LUF is a 748
What's the cost of both flights?
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Miles and More, Miles and Bonus, HHonors, Starwood, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Rambuster
What's the cost of both flights?
UA saver miles award so the same number of points
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:54 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AA EXP
Austrian has better catering and guaranteed aisle access on a 767.

Ice Coffee!

On-board chef!
Old Oct 7, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I'd vote LH just be enjoy the 748i UD, but that's me. Long live the queen of the sky.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 10:50 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
For an experience try OS
- coffee service
- yummy do&co catering
- almduddlr drink
- easy airport VIE
- 4 hours connection in VIE gives you relaxed time to shower in the lounge
- seating 1-2-1 or 2-2-1
- red stockings everywhere
OS highest class is business on the 767 so they put more effort in it, making it an experience. LH has first on the 747-8i,so to maintain a difference between first and business class, first is excellent while business is pleasent.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by HadesNL
For an experience try OS
- coffee service
- yummy do&co catering
- almduddlr drink
- easy airport VIE
- 4 hours connection in VIE gives you relaxed time to shower in the lounge
- seating 1-2-1 or 2-2-1
- red stockings everywhere
OS highest class is business on the 767 so they put more effort in it, making it an experience. LH has first on the 747-8i,so to maintain a difference between first and business class, first is excellent while business is pleasent.
Fine, you made me look up almduddlr. guess I'll have to try it next time.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
As some others have said already, Austrian in J has probably the best service that I have experienced in the sky. My most recent experience in LH, on the UD of the 380 in J was unexceptional. Window with direct access to the aisle is also important to me.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 1:54 am

Programs: SPG Plat, M&M SEN
One observation I had during the overnight flights in the seats that OS/LX/SN have, especially the single seat - the hole where you put you legs in gets really, really warm. At first I thought that the heat is coming from the entertainment system, but after a while I've realized that the hole has no ventilation and you heat it up with your own body. It's not a big deal, but it did wake me up. In LH C on the other hand you don't have that at all since the seats have the open setup.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:32 am

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
Another vote for the 748. The plane is just gorgeous and the UD makes the whole experience even more special unless you absolutely need direct aisle-access and/or the guarantee that nobody will step over you while you're sleeping.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by Cello
One observation I had during the overnight flights in the seats that OS/LX/SN have, especially the single seat - the hole where you put you legs in gets really, really warm. At first I thought that the heat is coming from the entertainment system, but after a while I've realized that the hole has no ventilation and you heat it up with your own body. It's not a big deal, but it did wake me up. In LH C on the other hand you don't have that at all since the seats have the open setup.
That is actually very true of the OS J seat. Is that true only of the single seats? I found the 777 hole to get much warmer than the 767 hole though. Both single seats.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat, M&M SEN
Originally Posted by knit-in
That is actually very true of the OS J seat. Is that true only of the single seats? I found the 777 hole to get much warmer than the 767 hole though. Both single seats.
I guess it affects all of the seats more or less, but the seats shifted away from the aisle (especially the single 'thrones') are worse since there is no open space from the aisle near the footwell.

On the other hand I'd still sacrifice that bit of comfort (and adjust by not using blanket there ) for the sole reason of having both window view and direct aisle access + tons of space to put my stuff / food and drinks on.

That's also the reason why I like window seats on the UD of LH 748i - plenty of storage space + vast surface (albeit smaller and less convenient than in the 'thrones') where you can put your things.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA*S, TK*G, BA G
Originally Posted by Cello
the hole where you put you legs in gets really, really warm.
It does. It also feels like a coffin unless you have a bulkhead seat.
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by LukasVIE

On-board chef!
Lets be honest: it's on-board flight attendant wearing a toque

I find OS J longhaul service unexceptional and prefer the novelty of 747UD seating, but really it comes down to timing and routing
Old Oct 26, 2015, 5:44 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Nope, on OS & TK these are Do&Co employees who are on different terms (layover, salary pay scales etc) and have different functions than FAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.