Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

Old Apr 4, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1K
if a LH ticket has been reissued into P and it is not considered a same day upgrade - miles for P should be posted.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Gold.
That is correct. I upgraded a two segment flight to P fare on LH and I did get the 200% miles posted to my UA account last year
Old Mar 8, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: LH M&M SEN, Accor Plat
My booking page shows a dramatic increase in cost for cash upgrades (up from £79 to £120 GBP which is roughly €135) on intra-European flights. £120 is just too much for such upgrades and makes zero sense to me but i'm curious to hear what caused this increase and if anybody else would consider paying this amount?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:01 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by mywaterbroke
My booking page shows a dramatic increase in cost for cash upgrades (up from £79 to £120 GBP which is roughly €135) on intra-European flights. £120 is just too much for such upgrades and makes zero sense to me but i'm curious to hear what caused this increase and if anybody else would consider paying this amount?
Cash Upgrades have been enhanced. Prices went up and booking classes down. Most book now into P. So Miles and availibility were enhanced quite significantly.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:20 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
The price has changed to 90/110/160€ per segment.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 4:10 am

Sorry if this is a stupid question to some but I don't usually fly LH:

If I buy a LH PE ticket from HK-MUC-LIS and return (all on LH metal), how do I know that I can upgrade the short leg MUC-LIS before I purchase the ticket (I know how to find this out after the purchase)?

I will only buy the ticket if I know for sure that I can upgrade the short leg to business because this is quite important for me (understand many here will disagree but this is my preference). I am ok with the price for the cash upgrade but just want to make 100% sure that this can be done before I buy the whole ticket. The LH website says: ' Availability in the relevant higher upgrade booking class'. I presume this means as long as any business class ticket is currently for sale, I should be good? Or do I need to make sure a specific booking class is available? Is it P or any other? Also, how do I check this (I am looking at MUC-LIS on April 26 and LIS-MUC on May 4). I have expertflyer but just need to know what to search for.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 18, 2018, 2:15 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GwailoSIN
Sorry if this is a stupid question to some but I don't usually fly LH:

If I buy a LH PE ticket from HK-MUC-LIS and return (all on LH metal), how do I know that I can upgrade the short leg MUC-LIS before I purchase the ticket (I know how to find this out after the purchase)?

I will only buy the ticket if I know for sure that I can upgrade the short leg to business because this is quite important for me (understand many here will disagree but this is my preference). I am ok with the price for the cash upgrade but just want to make 100% sure that this can be done before I buy the whole ticket. The LH website says: ' Availability in the relevant higher upgrade booking class'. I presume this means as long as any business class ticket is currently for sale, I should be good? Or do I need to make sure a specific booking class is available? Is it P or any other? Also, how do I check this (I am looking at MUC-LIS on April 26 and LIS-MUC on May 4). I have expertflyer but just need to know what to search for.

Thanks in advance!
It's a long time since I last upgraded on a shorthaul LH flight for cash or was offered to do so, but I don't think you can assume you will be offered to upgrade as long as ANY business class ticket is currently for sale. If passengers purchasing economy tickets are guaranteed a cash upgrade why should anybody buy a business class ticket? OK, I can think of many reasons but I don't believe it's as simple as "if there is availability in P a cash upgrade is possible".

They might treat passengers connecting from PE differently and there's no harm in choosing a flight with a light business load but I don't believe you can be 100% certain you will be offered a cash upgrade before purchasing a ticket or even as soon as you purchase one.
GwailoSIN likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:27 pm

Programs: OZ *G, CX Silver, BA Blue
Question Cash upgrade with NH stock, miles credit to OZ?

I may have missed some important posts on this thread...
Have a HKG-MUC-LHR on LH metal and flight number but ticketed on NH stock (205- etix). Decided to online cash up to Y+ as company paid for original ticket fare.
Now on LH.com, my cabin and booking classes are 'premium economy' and N class respectively. However on NH's website, I am still listed as economy and my etix receipt did not get re-issued, hence it is still showing economy W class on my 205 etix.

Question:
When I credit the miles for this HKG-MUC flight into OZ FFP, do I get miles according to W or N class? I suppose if LH is the one who issues the boarding pass and communicates with OZ at the end of the flight then the 'true' and 'reflected' fare class will be N?

Thanks for any help in advance!

Last edited by Victor DSCH; Mar 19, 2018 at 3:47 pm
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: LX SEN
LH upgrade for a fixed price from Y to P

Hi all,

I booked a fixed price upgrade on a short haul Y leg that got converted into P, yielding less status miles. I believed that upgrades from Y ended in Z or C, but I cannot find the chart anymore on LH website. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
Originally Posted by Nic33
Hi all,

I booked a fixed price upgrade on a short haul Y leg that got converted into P, yielding less status miles. I believed that upgrades from Y ended in Z or C, but I cannot find the chart anymore on LH website. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks!
I remember a post from oliver2002 explaining what you mentioned but in my experience, the resulting fare code depends(probably not exclusively) in the cost of the upgrade.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:17 pm

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
I remember that back in the days there was a translation table showing the old economy booking class and the corresponding upgrade booking class. Either I am too stupid to find it on the LH homepage or it is no longer available. Does anyone have an idea how the booking classes are mapped in case of an upgrade?

Thx,
cas_de
Old Oct 20, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: LX SEN
I searched a while and could not find it. There used to be one for fixed cash upgrades and for plusgrade upgrades, if I remember correctly.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, M&M, HHonors Gold
Going back to last post, anyone found the chart or knows if it's possible to check to what fare code upgrade will book? Currently have Y eco shorthaul and can upgrade for £40 to business but don't know to which code it will book. If it goes to P, as suggested here, it will earn me fewer miles than current Y. I'm going to credit miles to United, as LH would give me peanuts. The only benefits I see, is getting access to LH lounge at LHR T2 and small meal on a plane to MUC. I can get access to non-airline lounge for £15, so probably not worth paying £40 to upgrade and get fewer miles.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: A3*G,BA Silver
Y becomes Z.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 6:55 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by ermis177
Y becomes Z.
Not anymore with the new system. It can change in all Business Booking-Classes from P to J. You only will find out after booking and paying. I had K tickets that ended in D and B tickets that ended in P. For now it is a lottery! You may look in the availability of Business booking classes, to have an idea in which booking class you may end.
romans likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.