Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Business Class Upgrade" (Cash Upgrade for 90-160 EUR) on regional European flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2015, 5:23 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by alexanderc
Seems like all the details are presentet here: http://www.lufthansa.com/us/en/Cash-...Business-Class

Among others:

Still, according to the table, it seems like you will be transferred to a different booking class, for example from L/K to P. Wonder if that will affect the accrual with other SA-programs such as EuroBonus? Probably not I guess..
Thanks for the great link, alexanderc!

IMHO it is a very fair price calculation offering the discerning Economy passenger an upselling opportunity! @:-)
Old Aug 27, 2015, 7:12 am

Programs: LY-PL, A3-*G
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Thank you for the link!

The translation table is cool. I doubt they can surpress the mileage credit to other FFP. The OS and LX system completely rebooks the ticket coupon. I presume LH does the same.
Do you have experience with crediting the upgraded OS flights to another FF program?
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think its an obscene price, my booking is showing £300 by way of four segments for a RT which makes the ticket more expensive than booking into P in the first place. I think it would have made more sense to have a single reduced price for the outbound and the return. For example £100 each way. £300 is just taking the Michael.

With status I wouldn't bother with any of it, but might be inclined to book Gramps or Mama for £200 extra.

I can't resist saying that LH has the worst seat of any legacy carrier. NEK is awful and no where near as bad as the new BA seats, which have an adjustable headrest and more padding. This makes the offer even more insulting.

Last edited by hugolover; Aug 28, 2015 at 6:16 am
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:39 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
With status the only perk mildly interesting is:

• One additional piece of carry-on baggage

which you can't pay to take onboard as a Y passenger.

Plus of course:

• A full meal and a wide choice of beverages

I'm yet to see a full meal served in LH shorthaul business class. Will I get a better meal than paying C passengers?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:52 am

The extra checked luggage allowance also could be nice. SEN gets 3x32kg vs 2x23kg.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:49 am
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
The translation table is cool.
But why this sophisticated translation system if miles are credited based on the original booking class? And the obvious question following is what the price of an upgrade from say M to P would be... I know it is merely rhetorical.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
The extra checked luggage allowance also could be nice. SEN gets 3x32kg vs 2x23kg.
I take it that you didn't read the link provided through..

It clearly states:

"The listed free baggage allowance of the originally booked Economy Class fare also still applies on the upgraded flight. "
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:20 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
I take it that you didn't read the link provided through..
Lack wrote "could be nice".
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:31 pm

Did not :-).

I'd gamble on the check-in results being more favorable then the miles credit even, doubt any agent checks twice the luggage in ticket vs just generally assuming C = 2 bags + status.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:36 pm

could
kəd,kʊd/

verb
modal verb: could

past of can1.

used to indicate possibility.
"they could be right"
used in making suggestions or polite requests.
"you could always ring him up"

Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Lack
Did not :-).

I'd gamble on the check-in results being more favorable then the miles credit even, doubt any agent checks twice the luggage in ticket vs just generally assuming C = 2 bags + status.
In ZRH, apparently they did train the check-in agents quite some.

Recently had the case where I got an (early) op-up at online checkin. Had two bigger bags and a smaller one, which was going to fit into the bigger one (so that was the plan originally pre-op-up)

When I noticed the op-up, I planed on using the extra bag allowance to keep the smaller bag out (no squeeze necessary, or so I thought..) - well, at CI I was clearly advised I'll still have only luggage allowance of my original booking class (ie, same as with the cash upgrade rules here)

I guess you can still "hope" on getting the bigger allowance, and having paid at least something for the upgrade, your chances might be bigger they'll show some lenience, but ZRH agents got definitely tasked to know about the rules & not give additional luggage and stick to the original booking class regarding what you can bring and what not.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 2:45 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by txl
But why this sophisticated translation system if miles are credited based on the original booking class? And the obvious question following is what the price of an upgrade from say M to P would be... I know it is merely rhetorical.

The translation table indicates the probability for you to be able to buy up when booked in a certain class. ie if you have a cheapo K ticket and P is open for sale, it will be very likely that that you can upgrade with cash. @:-)
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:36 am

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
So, anyone understood why you are no longer allowed to rebook an Eco ticket to a real Business Ticket? Are they afraid of making too much revenue?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: LH HON, AMEX Plat, Avis Pres, Sixt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton G, Priority G, Hyatt Plat,Kempinski PC
Originally Posted by txl
Quote:

The translation table is cool.

Does this meen you are not allowed to pay the fare difference to J any longer - thus axing the booking garuantee that applies to J only?
Old Sep 19, 2015, 6:52 am
mbr

Programs: LX SEN, HH Diamond, IHG, Melia Silver, AVIS, Sixt
Interesting difference by switching USA/English to Germany/German on the link posted above (http://www.lufthansa.com/de/de/Cash-...Business-Class).

USA/English:
"The credit of status and award miles under the Miles & More frequent flyer programme is made on the basis of the originally booked Economy Class fare."
Table shows: Economy Class Original booking class / Business Class Upgrade booking class

Germany/German:
"Die Gutschrift von Status-, Prämien-, Select und HON Circle Meilen im Rahmen des Miles & More Vielfliegerprogramms erfolgt auf Basis der Upgradebuchungsklasse."
Table shows: Economy Class Originalbuchungsklasse / Business Class Upgradebuchungsklasse

Question: Where do I have to prove that I am a German native and read LH's website in German only, so I have to get the higher miles credited?

Greets
mbr

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.