Wiki Posts
Search

Status validity extended?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Status validity extended?

Hopefully not the wrong thread!
Last year I became SEN so the validity is until 2/2017 as on the card.
Yesterday I achieved 104963 however from MyLounge the validity is still 2/2017.
Reading around the forum I found mentions to "non-qualifiying" years i.e. you have to do the 100000 mles the year before the expiration. Did I understand correctly? If yes seems like a big limitation, especially in my case where LH has the best timetables compared to AF or BA
Thanks for any clarifications
Old Aug 18, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by frango
Reading around the forum I found mentions to "non-qualifiying" years i.e. you have to do the 100000 mles the year before the expiration. Did I understand correctly? If yes seems like a big limitation, especially in my case where LH has the best timetables compared to AF or BA
You became SEN in 2014. Your re-qualification years are 2015 or 2016.
As you made it again in 2015, your status will be extended until 02/2019. But this will only show up in your account at latest end 2016, when M&M will send you a new card. Strange, but that is the way it works.
2016 is your "dead year"; making 100k in 2016 will not extend your status validity.
Your next qualification years are 2017 or 2018.
Old Aug 18, 2015, 11:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Welcome to FT, frango, and congratulations on renewing your SEN status!

The MyLounge page of M&M website will continue to show the expiry date as February 2017 for another 15 months or so but rest assured you will receive a new SEN card around November 2016 and the expiry date will change to February 2019! This is a feature of M&M most of us don't understand.

If you check your account balance you should no longer see the line: "To extend your Senator status, you will need to earn xxxxx additional status miles between 01.01.2015 and 31.12.2015." at the bottom of the page. This is the clue that your SEN status has been renewed beyond February 2017.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Aug 18, 2015 at 2:49 pm Reason: Delete redundant comment
Old Aug 19, 2015, 12:06 am

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Keep in mind that in order to re-qualify for SEN, you will need 100.000 status miles. LH differentiates between award miles and status miles. Your summary page will show how many status miles you have got and how many award miles you have got.

In general, your status and award miles balance for one calendar year will be the same, unless you have participated in promotions or have taken up M&M credit cards which give you award miles for your spend.

Otherwise, congrats for attaining another 3.5 years SEN membership.
Old Aug 19, 2015, 2:23 am
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Welcome to FT, frango, and congratulations on renewing your SEN status!

The MyLounge page of M&M website will continue to show the expiry date as February 2017 for another 15 months or so but rest assured you will receive a new SEN card around November 2016 and the expiry date will change to February 2019! This is a feature of M&M most of us don't understand.

If you check your account balance you should no longer see the line: "To extend your Senator status, you will need to earn xxxxx additional status miles between 01.01.2015 and 31.12.2015." at the bottom of the page. This is the clue that your SEN status has been renewed beyond February 2017.
Thank you so much for the clarification: I had not noticed that now the line was only stating that I needed something like 520000 miles for HON Unreachable due to the economy only policy of my employer.

Reading in other threads about the "dead year" the suggestion seems to be to qualify with other alliances. This is a chicken and egg issue... since I would have to start from zero and work my may to the equivalent FT level. Starting to see that captivation point. Once gold you have no real motivation to start over, especially in my case where LH targets my destinations with the best layover times between flights
Old Aug 20, 2015, 9:52 am

Just to give me some assurance:
My status runs out 2/16. I recorded more than enough miles easily in 2014, may or may not make 100 k in 2015 as LH policy drives me into being opportunistic in my choice of airlines.

Will my status due to flight activity in 2014 be extended and for how long if I stay below the 100k threshold this year?
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by sw1x
Just to give me some assurance:
My status runs out 2/16. I recorded more than enough miles easily in 2014, may or may not make 100 k in 2015 as LH policy drives me into being opportunistic in my choice of airlines.

Will my status due to flight activity in 2014 be extended and for how long if I stay below the 100k threshold this year?
As your status runs until 02/16, your requalification years are 2014 or 2015.
As you requalified already in 2014, your status will be extended until 02/2018.
This will show up in your account around november 2015 when you will also receive the new card.
Thus 2015 is your "dead year". How many miles you collect in 2015 has absolutely no impact on status validity.
Your next requalification years are 2016 or 2017.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 10:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Thank you so much for the clarification: I had not noticed that now the line was only stating that I needed something like 520000 miles for HON Unreachable due to the economy only policy of my employer.
Hehe, I forgot that once you requalify as SEN the line at the bottom reminds you how may miles you need for HON.

Reading in other threads about the "dead year" the suggestion seems to be to qualify with other alliances. This is a chicken and egg issue... since I would have to start from zero and work my may to the equivalent FT level. Starting to see that captivation point. Once gold you have no real motivation to start over, especially in my case where LH targets my destinations with the best layover times between flights
You can keep on flying on LH and collect miles in another frequent flyer programme in your "dead year". Some people do. Or like me you can continue to credit all your miles to M&M so you can get enough miles for an F award on LH sooner and more often.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 11:05 am

Programs: Der 5* FTL
I'd say you need to figure out for yourself if you want to stick with *A, LH or not LH, in which case it does not make too much sense to credit elsewhere, or, if your circumstances are conductive to this, use the dead year to get to a gold status on another alliance.

The plus is simple - if, in the following years, you are forced by circumstance to use OW or ST instead of *A, you might have a gold card that makes it more bearable.
The minuses are a bit more numerous.
One of them is pretty apparent - if you decide to use the dead year to attain a status with, say AF/KL, you start without any status at all (unless you find an ST status match offer),
Another is, that you are splitting the miles. If you want rather one award, but sooner, and then another later, instead of two awards later (on separate cards), you are better off crediting all to M&M - like NewbieRunner does. Depending on the programme, you might even run into issues with miles validity, but I should think you'll pick one where it won't be a problem as long as you have status.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I (unless you find an ST status match offer),
AZ is matching everything and everybody right now.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum For Life, BA Bronze, LH FQTV
Hi,
Sorry for reviving an old thread...
I became (again) FTL last year, with a validity of two years, i.e. 2020. I will reach again the 30 segments in 2018.
Does this mean that my status will be extended until 2021 or what matters is the number of segments in 2019?
Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by justcallmedoc
Hi,
Sorry for reviving an old thread...
I became (again) FTL last year, with a validity of two years, i.e. 2020. I will reach again the 30 segments in 2018.
Does this mean that my status will be extended until 2021 or what matters is the number of segments in 2019?
Thanks!
No, this is your ‘dead’ year, the 30 segments this year will not extend your status for FTL.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:02 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by chris63

No, this is your ‘dead’ year, the 30 segments this year will not extend your status for FTL.
Are you sure about that?

I’m in a similar position - qualified for FTL last year and thinking about going for it again this year (half way there already by segments).
I thought that if I qualified this year then my status would then be valid till early 2022, even though it might not be updated to show this until during 2019. Then 2019 would indeed be a dead year.

Would be nice to get a definitive answer on this because if I don’t need to bother chasing FTL this year I can clear my A3 *G earlier (hopefully before my SQ *G runs out in November).
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: LO
Originally Posted by yurtripper
qualified for FTL last year
so you can extend it this or next year. You don't have to do it this year but you can extend only once within 2 years. Exactly, 2019 will be your useless year in M&M or you try to reach SEN.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by yurtripper

Are you sure about that?

I’m in a similar position - qualified for FTL last year and thinking about going for it again this year (half way there already by segments).
I thought that if I qualified this year then my status would then be valid till early 2022, even though it might not be updated to show this until during 2019. Then 2019 would indeed be a dead year.

Would be nice to get a definitive answer on this because if I don’t need to bother chasing FTL this year I can clear my A3 *G earlier (hopefully before my SQ *G runs out in November).
See what you mean, I should have said that there is a dead year within 2 year period & that there is no point in requalifying every year.

So, yes, you should be fine if you requalification this year & don’t bother next year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.