Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa flat tire rule

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2015, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, A3 Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, former UA Premier Executive
Lufthansa flat tire rule

I have a flight with Lufthansa and there is a possibility that I will arrive to the airport a little too late and miss the flight. I know on US carriers they'll just put me on the next flight, but since I know LH is stricter with same day stand-by's and everything else, I was wondering if there will be a penalty to put me on the next flight two hours later, or if I'll just be screwed and need to buy a new ticket.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:20 am

There's no flat tyre rule, so in most cases you'll have to buy a new ticket.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
or if I'll just be screwed and need to buy a new ticket.
Thats the option!

Honestly, if LH (or any other European airline) would open loophole (flat tire rule), then that loophole would be misused.
Instead of buying an expensive flexible ticket, business people would just book an early flight, and if the meeting runs late, they would invoke the flat tire rule to get onto a later flight for free.

Easyjet has a pretty cool reverse-flat-tire-rule. If you arrive early at the airport, you can rebooked onto an earlier flight for free.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The LH flat tire rule is: Don't get a flat tire !

For what it's worth, most US carriers have long ago eliminated their flat tire unwritten policy. Depending on the circumstances, you may get yourself rebooked, but with capacity cut and loads up, the availability of seats is now as great an issue as whether an agent would rebook if there were availability.

As to LH, plan on buying a new ticket at walk-up prices unless your original ticket is fully refundable. Also, remember that if there are onward or return segments on the ticket, those will be cancelled too unless you have purchased one of those pricey tickets not requiring segments to be flown in order.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:09 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
See the similar discussion on LX recently: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/swiss...e-rule-lx.html
Old Aug 7, 2015, 10:03 am

Programs: UA Platinum/*G (pmCO Plat, once upon a time), ZE President's Circle, Marriott Gold, AA, BT, DL, PS
Definitely endorse what was said above.

For LH, there's not even a flat tire rule or equivalent for connecting flights, i.e., once your itinerary has already begun. LH tried to get me to pay €1000 after I overslept a connection (yay faulty cell phone alarm) while napping at the FRA Senator Lounge. (I argued it down substantially, and having *G status helps, but there was definitely a mismatch of expectations there.)

This sounds normal to Europeans but it's quite surprising to Americans, given that esp. status passengers would be easily accommodated in these cases.

Huge contrast to the UA SDC policy, that's for sure!
Old Aug 8, 2015, 4:07 pm

OP: Are you arriving due to another flight or just late for timing issues (work, life, whatever)?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:05 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
"Flat tyre rule"? "No, of course not. German tyres do not go flat."
Old Aug 10, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by og
You are right - my BMW has "run flat tyres"
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
Referencing above...flying in J from Fra to Ewr. Stuck in a long security line. If I miss EWR and get to gate 5 min after door closes will they put me on JfK or will they hit me up for an add collect?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 3:47 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by og
Most German cars are now coming with run-flat tyres... I know, I own two BMWs...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:44 am

Programs: M&M SEN**; FB Silver; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by warakorn
Easyjet has a pretty cool reverse-flat-tire-rule. If you arrive early at the airport, you can rebooked onto an earlier flight for free.
Many South American airlines did this already years ago, especially on high-frequency domestic routes - RG, JJ, AV...
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:40 pm

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by dparkinson
Referencing above...flying in J from Fra to Ewr. Stuck in a long security line. If I miss EWR and get to gate 5 min after door closes will they put me on JfK or will they hit me up for an add collect?
If you checkin in time, and dont oversleep, I think they should rebook you.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:47 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dparkinson
There are Fast Lines in Frankfurt for passengers with a tight connection. If I were you I wouldn't wait in a long line if you are pressed for time. You might well be out of luck.

LH lurkers have stated several times that if you get stuck in passport control or security, they will make you pay to get rebooked. You then have the option to sue the German government for damages, but chances are slim they will have to pay you back :-( There was one case where security they kept a flyer several hours until some special equipment could be brought in -- that was considered unreasonable by the judges.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.