Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

How do United/Star Alliance elite status & new Lufthansa European fares correlate?

How do United/Star Alliance elite status & new Lufthansa European fares correlate?

Old Jul 31, 15, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage

I have been United Mileage Plus Gold for the last 15 years. When I was flying Lufthansa (and other Star Alliance airlines) that meant an extra free piece of luggage in addition to the normal allowance. Recently Lufthansa introduced "new Europe fares":

https://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...il_lhcom_RU_RU

If I buy "Economy Light" ticket for flying within Europe, as United/Star Alliance Gold how many free pieces of luggage will I be able to take?
Old Jul 31, 15, 7:49 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by GREAKLY View Post
I have been United Mileage Plus Gold for the last 15 years. When I was flying Lufthansa (and other Star Alliance airlines) that meant an extra free piece of luggage in addition to the normal allowance. Recently Lufthansa introduced "new Europe fares":...
Unless LH is going to say these are not *A flights, the *A rules state for *G that (at a min)
As a Gold Status holder you can choose not to travel light. We allow an additional 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies.
LH can do more but not less.

Since this is a LH issue, suspect you will get a better answer there -- so will move this to that forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jul 31, 15, 8:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
No free bags on light fare including LH own elites or *G
Old Aug 1, 15, 1:31 am
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Unless LH is going to say these are not *A flights, the *A rules state for *G that (at a min)
This "rule" was recently enhanced to only apply if you have "one" ticket operated with at least "two" *A airlines.

HTB.
Old Aug 2, 15, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by htb View Post
This "rule" was recently enhanced to only apply if you have "one" ticket operated with at least "two" *A airlines.
Could you please send me a link to that. It sounds ridiculous. If I fly a connecting flight will my luggage allowance be based on the fact, whether one of the segments is operated by another airline (not LH) or not?
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:00 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
It will apply, unless you buy both flights on the LH Light fare.
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
If you connect you will never have a light fare!
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:01 pm

Programs: LH, EY, Marriott
Other airlines actually provide everything they are bound to by *A rules, so LH has to comply as well when you have a "mixed" ticket But don't worry, the McKinsey guys will find a way around that sooner or later.
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:17 pm
htb

Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Originally Posted by GREAKLY View Post
Could you please send me a link to that. It sounds ridiculous. If I fly a connecting flight will my luggage allowance be based on the fact, whether one of the segments is operated by another airline (not LH) or not?
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/, look at footnote number 3.

HTB.
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by gojko88 View Post
Other airlines actually provide everything they are bound to by *A rules
LH is doing what NZ has been doing for years: the cheapest shorthaul flights don't include any extra bags for *A elites.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/checked-in-baggage

As others have pointed out, it is not against the rules to not offer extra luggage to *A elite members who buy a ticket that only has LH "Economy Light" flights.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Aug 2, 15 at 1:11 pm
Old Aug 2, 15, 3:19 pm
htb

Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more View Post
As others have pointed out, it is not against the rules to not offer extra luggage to *A elite members who buy a ticket that only has LH "Economy Light" flights.
Important detail: it's "not any more". Originally there was no such provision in the *A rules.

HTB.
Old Aug 2, 15, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by htb View Post
Important detail: it's "not any more". Originally there was no such provision in the *A rules.

HTB.
What came first, the *A rule change or LH's introduction of "Light" fares? If the *A rule change came first, the "Light" fare baggage rules never violated the *A rules.
Old Aug 2, 15, 3:59 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
NZ introduced the light concept and amended the *A rules about two years ago.
Old Aug 2, 15, 4:33 pm

Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer View Post
If you connect you will never have a light fare!
It's possible if you connect LH to LH on two European segments.
Old Aug 2, 15, 5:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Yes of course but I was thinking UA/ LH - anyway if you buy the light fare you will have to pay for luggage - that is the whole purpose of that fare!
So no status with any airline is going to exempt you from that - quite easy to understand - I think!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: