Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

How do United/Star Alliance elite status & new Lufthansa European fares correlate?

How do United/Star Alliance elite status & new Lufthansa European fares correlate?

Old Jul 31, 15, 7:34 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
Posts: 158
How do United/Star Alliance elite status & new Lufthansa European fares correlate?

I have been United Mileage Plus Gold for the last 15 years. When I was flying Lufthansa (and other Star Alliance airlines) that meant an extra free piece of luggage in addition to the normal allowance. Recently Lufthansa introduced "new Europe fares":

https://www.lufthansa.com/online/por...il_lhcom_RU_RU

If I buy "Economy Light" ticket for flying within Europe, as United/Star Alliance Gold how many free pieces of luggage will I be able to take?
GREAKLY is offline  
Old Jul 31, 15, 7:49 pm
  #2  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Posts: 52,027
Originally Posted by GREAKLY View Post
I have been United Mileage Plus Gold for the last 15 years. When I was flying Lufthansa (and other Star Alliance airlines) that meant an extra free piece of luggage in addition to the normal allowance. Recently Lufthansa introduced "new Europe fares":...
Unless LH is going to say these are not *A flights, the *A rules state for *G that (at a min)
As a Gold Status holder you can choose not to travel light. We allow an additional 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies, or one additional piece of luggage where the piece concept applies.
LH can do more but not less.

Since this is a LH issue, suspect you will get a better answer there -- so will move this to that forum

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
WineCountryUA is offline  
Old Jul 31, 15, 8:06 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: JAX / MUC / BER
Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
Posts: 353
No free bags on light fare including LH own elites or *G
KP2006 is offline  
Old Aug 1, 15, 1:31 am
  #4  
htb
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Posts: 4,608
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Unless LH is going to say these are not *A flights, the *A rules state for *G that (at a min)
This "rule" was recently enhanced to only apply if you have "one" ticket operated with at least "two" *A airlines.

HTB.
htb is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 11:08 am
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Programs: UA MP, Delta Sky Miles, AA Advantage
Posts: 158
Originally Posted by htb View Post
This "rule" was recently enhanced to only apply if you have "one" ticket operated with at least "two" *A airlines.
Could you please send me a link to that. It sounds ridiculous. If I fly a connecting flight will my luggage allowance be based on the fact, whether one of the segments is operated by another airline (not LH) or not?
GREAKLY is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:00 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 2,553
It will apply, unless you buy both flights on the LH Light fare.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:00 pm
  #7  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: a proud member of FT since 05-05-1998
Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Posts: 2,234
If you connect you will never have a light fare!
Germanfflyer is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:01 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: BEG
Programs: LH, EY, Marriott
Posts: 2,113
Other airlines actually provide everything they are bound to by *A rules, so LH has to comply as well when you have a "mixed" ticket But don't worry, the McKinsey guys will find a way around that sooner or later.
gojko88 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:17 pm
  #9  
htb
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Posts: 4,608
Originally Posted by GREAKLY View Post
Could you please send me a link to that. It sounds ridiculous. If I fly a connecting flight will my luggage allowance be based on the fact, whether one of the segments is operated by another airline (not LH) or not?
http://www.staralliance.com/en/benef...silver-status/, look at footnote number 3.

HTB.
htb is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 12:50 pm
  #10  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The electrified part of North Carolina
Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by gojko88 View Post
Other airlines actually provide everything they are bound to by *A rules
LH is doing what NZ has been doing for years: the cheapest shorthaul flights don't include any extra bags for *A elites.
http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/checked-in-baggage

As others have pointed out, it is not against the rules to not offer extra luggage to *A elite members who buy a ticket that only has LH "Economy Light" flights.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Aug 2, 15 at 1:11 pm
UA1K_no_more is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 3:19 pm
  #11  
htb
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Programs: LH M&M (was: SEN), UA*G(1K), PC Spire Amb, Marriott Gold (by virtue of UA*G), Accor Gold
Posts: 4,608
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more View Post
As others have pointed out, it is not against the rules to not offer extra luggage to *A elite members who buy a ticket that only has LH "Economy Light" flights.
Important detail: it's "not any more". Originally there was no such provision in the *A rules.

HTB.
htb is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 3:26 pm
  #12  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: The electrified part of North Carolina
Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Posts: 4,157
Originally Posted by htb View Post
Important detail: it's "not any more". Originally there was no such provision in the *A rules.

HTB.
What came first, the *A rule change or LH's introduction of "Light" fares? If the *A rule change came first, the "Light" fare baggage rules never violated the *A rules.
UA1K_no_more is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 3:59 pm
  #13  
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: MUC
Programs: LH SEN
Posts: 39,556
NZ introduced the light concept and amended the *A rules about two years ago.
oliver2002 is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 4:33 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: HAG
Programs: ST E+, *G, some hotel gold...
Posts: 2,553
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer View Post
If you connect you will never have a light fare!
It's possible if you connect LH to LH on two European segments.
Fabo.sk is offline  
Old Aug 2, 15, 5:37 pm
  #15  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: a proud member of FT since 05-05-1998
Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Posts: 2,234
Yes of course but I was thinking UA/ LH - anyway if you buy the light fare you will have to pay for luggage - that is the whole purpose of that fare!
So no status with any airline is going to exempt you from that - quite easy to understand - I think!
Germanfflyer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: