Lounge in PHL

Old Apr 4, 11, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Lounge in PHL

Bumping this up to the top to see if anything has changed with LH service in PHL. Are they still using US Airways Envoy Departure Lounge for LH C pax? Wife and I are scheduled on the outbound PHL-FRA LH Flight in C in July and curious of lounge accommodations before boarding flight. Last time I was in this lounge when flying US Envoy, food reminded me of a casual backyard cookout with cold cuts, etc. If that is still the case I'm guessing we'll have a better meal on board and to avoid these items.

Anyone who flies LH out of PHL in C please post your thoughts on the above.

THanks,
James
Old Apr 4, 11, 1:35 pm

Programs: EZ Pass, Starbucks Gold, Red Cross blood donor
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Bumping this up to the top to see if anything has changed with LH service in PHL. Are they still using US Airways Envoy Departure Lounge for LH C pax?
Yes.
Last time I was in this lounge when flying US Envoy, food reminded me of a casual backyard cookout with cold cuts, etc. If that is still the case I'm guessing we'll have a better meal on board and to avoid these items.
I'm sure you'll have a better meal on board. But depending on how hungry you get, you could think of the lounge as pre-appetizers.
Old Apr 4, 11, 2:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by bitburgr View Post
I'm sure you'll have a better meal on board. But depending on how hungry you get, you could think of the lounge as pre-appetizers.
Agreed - there's not much you could make a meal of, but I vaguely recall a small salad bar on my last visit which was not bad at all. Food-wise, the Envoy lounge is streets ahead of a Red Carpet Club, but behind a SEN lounge. At least the booze is free.
Old Apr 4, 11, 5:34 pm

Programs: LH SEN, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I was there recently and liked the fact that it wasn't overly crowded (weekday evening). Snacks were ok and they had a really nice selection of fresh fruit. It was one of the nicer lounges that I have been in in North America.
Old Apr 4, 11, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like itmis a nice place to relax....

Thanks to everyone who responded. Looks lime we will enjoy ourselves and have some good snack options to hold us over till dinner on board. We don't plan to have lunch that day since we will be flying to PHL late morning.
Old Apr 5, 11, 1:48 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, External Miles & Points Resources

Note that the Envoy lounge is only open during limited hours (ie the afternoon)
http://www.usairways.com/en-US/trave...tions.html#Phi

I usually pass thru PHL in the morning when connecting and had to settle for the club, which is still better than what UA and CO offer.
Old Feb 7, 14, 2:07 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Lounge Access After 3/31/2014

LH uses US Air lounge in Terminal A now. What access people with LH business tickets will have in PHL once US Air exits Star Alliance?
Old Feb 9, 14, 12:54 am

Programs: UA 1K; AA;AGR;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Originally Posted by Kpoxa View Post
LH uses US Air lounge in Terminal A now. What access people with LH business tickets will have in PHL once US Air exits Star Alliance?
I don't know, but of course you can always schlep over to D terminal and use the United Lounge, but that is a LONG walk from the LH gates! In addition, the UA lounge is very small, and wouldn't be able to handle a entire LH business class flight.

If I had to make an educated guess, I would imagine that LH will simply contract with US (soon to be AA) to continue to use their lounge in the A terminal. One flight a day would certainly not justify them opening their own Senator Lounge!
Old Feb 9, 14, 12:24 pm

BA & AA operate a Galleries lounge in PHL, one would assume it will be consolidated with the US assets and create an opening for *A to open a lounge
Old Feb 10, 14, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA;AGR;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC;National Executive; Johnnie Walker Gold
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
BA & AA operate a Galleries lounge in PHL, one would assume it will be consolidated with the US assets and create an opening for *A to open a lounge
But once US leaves the *A, that will leave just LH with their one flight a day in the A terminal, and UA and AC in the D terminal. Can't really imagine that is enough to justify opening a new *A lounge.

Well we should have a better idea come April!
Old Feb 11, 14, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq View Post
But once US leaves the *A, that will leave just LH with their one flight a day in the A terminal, and UA and AC in the D terminal. Can't really imagine that is enough to justify opening a new *A lounge.
LH has a full fledged lounge operating in DTW with just a single flight a day. The *G visits pay for its upkeep. Altough I doubt the PHL A concourse has enough *A foot traffic to keep it filled. US/AA will probably not give up gate space in A to UA/AC either.
Old Feb 11, 14, 4:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by oliver2002 View Post
LH has a full fledged lounge operating in DTW with just a single flight a day. The *G visits pay for its upkeep. Altough I doubt the PHL A concourse has enough *A foot traffic to keep it filled. US/AA will probably not give up gate space in A to UA/AC either.
As pointed out in the MUC-CLT thread, quite often the airlines do not pay any rent for the facilities and the airport sees it as an incentive to keep the route(s) open and airlines happy. In other words, an airline pays for its (outsourced) staff, food etc. and the airport offers the real estate for free or even coughs up all expenses.

It has become tougher in recent years, especially in the EU with competition rules ruling out favourable treatment, but you always find a way to circumvent the compliance folks. Since carrier A gets it at XYZ and carrier B gets it at YXZ, it does not matter anyway.

PHL will be an interesting market, being close to Delaware helps a lot, as always the premium cabin on LH is full anyway, but it will be fascinating to see how Y develops without in/out bound passenger flows on Star. Even worse for US in Europe with hardly any access to the major hubs over here. Hardly any access to LHR, the other OW hub being away from major traffic flows in Western Europe will be a challenge to sell.

Last edited by FD1971; Feb 11, 14 at 5:08 am
Old Apr 8, 14, 11:47 am

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
LH website is still showing US Airways Club lounge at terminal A for LH business ticket holders. Can anyone confirm that the lounge is still accessible post US exit from Star Alliance?
Old May 20, 14, 10:59 pm

any recent PHL experiences?

I thought I'd bump this thread to see if there are any recent experiences with lounge access in PHL. Can anyone confirm that LH business class flyers are still being sent to the US lounge?
Old May 21, 14, 2:06 am

LH continues to use the US Club in PHL & CLT.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: