Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New European Economy Fares [HBO/light topics merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by burrbrown
Just wanted to post my personal experience with a Swiss Economy light fare. I had assumed wrongly that even with the stated "no checked luggage", a *G member would get a +1 to their checked baggage allowance.

However, when I checked in today for a Swiss short haul flight on an economy light fare, I still had to pay for a piece of luggage as a *G.

It turns out that european "Economy Light" fares are specifically excluded from the extra baggage allowance usually afforded to *G members on the Star Alliance's Gold member webpage: http://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status

It states in the Extra Baggage Allowance section: "For travel within Europe on “Light” fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and “Check&Go” fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance will not be offered."
That's odd. I successfully checked a bag as *G on a LX Light fare in October. My status is through TK and the agent didn't hesitate to check my bag once I showed my TK card.

I wonder if this is a new change?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: A3 *G
Originally Posted by gooselee
That's odd. I successfully checked a bag as *G on a LX Light fare in October. My status is through TK and the agent didn't hesitate to check my bag once I showed my TK card.

Interesting. I prepaid for the luggage the night before after seeing the wording on the star alliance website (since it was 19CHF online vs 35CHF at the airport). Since it was a really early morning flight we just arrived to ZRH and dropped off the bag at the regular check in area. Was still half asleep and didn't try looking for the *G/business check in area to try and check in our smaller roller bag carry on - I would have checked in if luggage was free.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: BD the last decent FFP
Originally Posted by gooselee

Quite likely your Light fare was booked prior to June 23rd (GVA light fares) or you were just lucky.

This is the text in the FAQs of Light Fares

What do status customers (HON Circle Member, Senator, Frequent Traveller) need to consider when choosing a fare?

Tarif Economy Light does not include free advanced seat reservation or any additional baggage (e.g. golf equipment). All other status benefits, such as free lounge access, remain unchanged with this fare.
You can check the thread for LX new fares here
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:38 am

Light fares on LX are even more tricky, as mentioned before, the "old" light fares had luggage (were only offered Ex/To-GVA) when travelling as *G, the new ones don't. The LX system couldn't even properly price out "classic" fares Ex-ZRH and back to GVA for quite a while. Not sure if it's fixed now.

And to the question if prices got cheaper when LX/LH introduced light fares: No, they didn't. The former class K (for example) became K light, with K classic being 25 CHF more per leg (ie, 50 CHF more per return)

On cheap RT tickets Ex-ZRH, that meant an increase from 99 CHF to 149 CHF, if you still wanted luggage/ASR. On "regular" fares around 200 CHF (most destinations if booked early enough) it means an increase of 25% fare, unless you don't want to travel with CI luggage.

For me, it still smells, and I try to avoid companies which are doing such practices. My travel with LX has been further reduced as a result. F7 has more comfy seats anyway But based in ZRH I can't avoid LX completely. However, whenever I've a decent alternative, I'm leaving my money there now.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:15 pm

Does anyone have any advice on an OTA that allows you to choose between Light and Classic fares? Opodo has the option to add luggage, but that doesn't look like the classic fare. Help GREATLY appreciated!
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by salzburgflyer
Does anyone have any advice on an OTA that allows you to choose between Light and Classic fares? Opodo has the option to add luggage, but that doesn't look like the classic fare. Help GREATLY appreciated!
imho no OTA does allow to book anything but light fares.

Nonstop YOU!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:52 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Has priority boarding for status passengers in Economy on European flights been enhanced away with the new European fares? I flew two Economy Classic flights at the weekend and ''Priority Boarding' did not appear above the QR code on mobile BPs as it used to. I wasn't at the gate when boarding started and don't know if there was any announcement about who could board early.

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Dec 1, 2015 at 8:53 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Has priority boarding for status passengers in Economy on European flights been enhanced away with the new European fares? I flew two Economy Classic flights at the weekend and ''Priority Boarding' did not appear above the QR code on mobile BP as it used to. I wasn't at the gate when boarding started and don't know if there was any announcement about who could board early.
Priority boarding has been working fine for me with the new fares, last time two weeks ago. Btw, no difference whether LH, LX or OS.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:27 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
Same for me. It worked both in MUC and WAW.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Priority boarding is for HON/SEN/*G, that is what they look at on the BP.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:50 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
This is what I'm talking about? Why did they remove it from a mobile BP?

Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:56 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I'm one of the nerds who has a bb and mostly uses paper BP, so I never had/saw the blue bar the cool kids with fruity smartphones had/have.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
This is what I'm talking about? Why did they remove it from a mobile BP?

My few BPs when I had *G never had this.

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I'm one of the nerds who has a bb
I'm so sorry for your pain
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
I'm one of the nerds who has a bb
I'm giving up on mine, enough is enough.

No problem with early boarding on light fares, but I always get myself a paper BP anyway.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Originally Posted by malmostoso
No problem with early boarding on light fares, but I always get myself a paper BP anyway.
same for me, check-in online, get a paper BP at the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.