missed connection, what compensation?

Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LX M&M
missed connection, what compensation?

Due to bad weather today, my flight from Zurich took off nearly 2h late so that i missed my connection from Vienna to Bangkok. They put me into a city hotel incl. transfer and they also changed my booking class into Y, orginal one was M.

My hotel in BKK for one night however is not refundable, should they pay for this as well and what else can i expect in terms of compensation, like free meals, lunch, dinner etc.

Thx for your help and advice
lx343
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:53 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Weather is D/AT/CH was terrible yesterday due to storm Niklas. The airline has to rebook, accomodate and feed you, which it seems they did. No compensation for damages are due though...
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No compensation is due for weather delays/cancellations.

Why should your hotel in BKK be reimbursed? LX/OS paid for a hotel in VIE and you got a bed to sleep in, right? Unless the hotel in VIE was much worse than your BKK hotel, you didn't suffer a loss - you just sleept in a bed in VIE rather than BKK
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: LX M&M
Originally Posted by SK AAR
No compensation is due for weather delays/cancellations.

Why should your hotel in BKK be reimbursed? LX/OS paid for a hotel in VIE and you got a bed to sleep in, right? Unless the hotel in VIE was much worse than your BKK hotel, you didn't suffer a loss - you just sleept in a bed in VIE rather than BKK
Coz i am arriving one day later then planned and therefore loosing my prepaid hotel in BKK. Of course the hotel in Vienna wasnt bad but nothing like the one in BKK. But have to expect the situation and looking forward to the flight tonight.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Yes, you lost your prepaid night in BKK but you got a free night in VIE = no relevant loss to be reimbursed.

Anyway, I suggest that your contact the hotel in BKK and explain the situation. Sometimes hotels can be accomodating and accept to change the reservation despite being pre-paid/non-refundable (in your situation to postpone the stay by 1 night).

Last edited by SK AAR; Apr 1, 2015 at 8:46 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by lx343
Coz i am arriving one day later then planned and therefore loosing my prepaid hotel in BKK. Of course the hotel in Vienna wasnt bad but nothing like the one in BKK. But have to expect the situation and looking forward to the flight tonight.
That's what you travel insurance is for - no reason why OS should refund you for prepaid hotel in BKK...
Old Apr 2, 2015, 6:18 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by vbroucek
That's what you travel insurance is for - no reason why OS should refund you for prepaid hotel in BKK...
"Travel Insurance" may be a common thing in the States, but it's next to impossible to get "Travel Insurance" in Germany that would cover something like this.

HTB.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:57 am

Travel insurance normally only covers additional expenses (e.g. missed connection and OS would not pay for hotel, or car broke down on way to airport and had to buy a new flight ticket), so would not normally reimburse your hotel in Bangkok. Also, it's pretty easy to buy in Germany - starting from around €40 for an annual policy.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP chose to take the risk of booking a reservation which he could not cancel. That risk is his and his alone to bear. If someone else is at fault, he can collect from that someone else. The delay reason here was weather and that leaves the rest of the world or nobody at fault.

EC 261/2004 only requires a duty of care in these circumstances and it is clear that this was met, e.g., hotel at VIE.

While not mandatory, I have never had a problem with obtaining a refund, credit, other item, when I have directly telephoned a property as soon as I have learned that conditions beyond my control such as weather will prevent me from making it to my destination on time. The most I have been asked to provide are my flight numbers.

If OP did not call and ask, he is likely out of luck. Simply a risk he chose to bear.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:09 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Originally Posted by Often1
While not mandatory, I have never had a problem with obtaining a refund, credit, other item, when I have directly telephoned a property as soon as I have learned that conditions beyond my control such as weather will prevent me from making it to my destination on time. The most I have been asked to provide are my flight numbers.
+1
Old Apr 6, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by htb
"Travel Insurance" may be a common thing in the States, but it's next to impossible to get "Travel Insurance" in Germany that would cover something like this...
I agree - my insurance covers additional expenses if I am not at fault ... not the loss of one night experience at BKK or VIE or wherever.
Originally Posted by SK AAR
..Unless the hotel in VIE was much worse than your BKK hotel, you didn't suffer a loss..
What hotels do airlines book you into???

I usually get the Gulag-Inn whenever I strand in MUC or the floors-R-US in FRA ... VIE must be dramatically different.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.