LH, LHR-BER, GermanWings and No Lounge Access

Old Mar 23, 2015, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
(a) Why on earth would the UA lounge let you in on a non *A flight?! The LH lounge is different - Germanwings are "allowing" certain customers to use it under certain conditions.
United gold cardholders should get access into the LH Lounge, when departing on a 4U flight, regardless of fare class.
I will ask the LH lounge next Wednesday when departing with LX.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ObserverA3
This is where you're losing me.

(a) Why on earth would the UA lounge let you in on a non *A flight?! The LH lounge is different - Germanwings are "allowing" certain customers to use it under certain conditions.

(b) Your quote from the lounge attendant suggests that at some point you must have become aware that you're placing that person's job at risk if you (continue to) suggest s/he bends the rules for you. I can only hope that you stopped pushing at that point.

FWIW, I really dislike the path LH is pursuing with 4U - but the only remedy is not to fly them.
Re a) Prior to the terminal move, the UA lounge let me in while I was flying Germanwings. That's why.

Re b) A bit melodramatic. She said it with a smile. This was not some pushy confrontation and there as no "continuing" to suggest anything.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:18 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Roar
Why would Lufthansa have this policy? It has really made me angry. I could write customer service, but my sense is they already know and obviously don't care...
To answer your initial question: LH has this policy because they wanted to create a low cost airline ("cost" basically referring to operating cost, not the cost of the ticket) and one of the many ways to reduce the cost was to take that airline out of *A and limit lounge access to non-LH elites.

Obviously this cost-saving exercise hasn't worked out so well and some non-LH elites (UA) are again allowed into (some?) LH lounges when flying the low cost airline.

HTB.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:14 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BAEC Bronze, S7 Приоритет, TrueBlue
Originally Posted by Roar
I'd probably just need to get a BA status match and just shift to BA. I am toying with it.
You might get lounge access with BA (OK in TXL, not that great in LHR), but you'd have to endure the horrible new BA short haul seating in both classes, which is worse than Germanwings' SMART/BEST seating IMHO, and overcrowded LHR T5. Some things to consider before heading over.
Old Mar 23, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
I'm a UA1K - I do most of my flying on LH/LX

Like the OP, I'm incredibly frustrated with 4U - I now avoid it like the plague

Not only lounge access, but they are often more expensive:

Germanwings

Mon 30th Mar - Flight no 4U9343
Manchester - Manchester Intl (MAN) to Dusseldorf - Dusseldorf Arpt (DUS) Depart 15:55 Arrive 18:20

Thu 2nd Apr - Flight no 4U9344
Dusseldorf - Dusseldorf Arpt (DUS) to Manchester - Manchester Intl (MAN) Depart 18:55 Arrive 19:25

Economy fare - Ł400.00 plus Ł58.50 airline taxes

Lufthansa

Mon 30th Mar - Flight no LH2501
Manchester - Manchester Intl (MAN) to Munich - Munich Intl Arpt (MUC) Depart 10:40 Arrive 13:40

Mon 30th Mar - Flight no LH2012
Munich - Munich Intl Arpt (MUC) to Dusseldorf - Dusseldorf Arpt (DUS) Depart 14:25 Arrive 15:35

Thu 2nd Apr - Flight no LH87
Dusseldorf - Dusseldorf Arpt (DUS) to Frankfurt - Frankfurt Intl (FRA) Depart 19:30 Arrive 20:25

Thu 2nd Apr - Flight no LH948
Frankfurt - Frankfurt Intl (FRA) to Manchester - Manchester Intl (MAN) Depart 22:15 Arrive 23:00

Economy fare - Ł123.00 plus Ł160.64 airline taxes

So, better flight times, guaranteed lounge access & more miles - why would I fly 4U??
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:43 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Same experience intra-Germany: CGN-HAM and back was over 400€ while LH gladly sold me this as a connection through Munich for 180€. The longer flighttime meant getting up two hours earlier, but other than that it was fully worth it...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Mar 24, 2015, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufth...anwings-5.html
Old Jun 25, 2015, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If anyone can find the documentation that proves that UA Star Golds get access to LH lounges when on 4U, can you please share? I have a connection DUB-DUS-MAD and am hoping to have access in DUS.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 7:40 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
If anyone can find the documentation that proves that UA Star Golds get access to LH lounges when on 4U, can you please share? I have a connection DUB-DUS-MAD and am hoping to have access in DUS.
You should be good. I connected in DUS last week on a basic fare and was let in with my guest.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 2:20 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
DUS is fine for 4U they know the 4U-lounge rules - it is places like TXL that will give you trouble!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 6:07 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
United gold cardholders should get access into the LH Lounge, when departing on a 4U flight, regardless of fare class.
I will ask the LH lounge next Wednesday when departing with LX.
Again, last week I have asked the LH SEN lounges in TXL and FRA.
United gold cardholders can access the LH SEN lounge, when departing on an 4U flight - regardless of fare class.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 11:42 pm

*G from TK - lounge access at LHR when flying 4U?

Hi everyone!

I have wreathe previous posts and from what I read it seems like *G cutsomer from UA and ANA are being granted access to the LH lounges when flying 4U economy. Does anybody know whether this applies to TK *G card holder s well?

P
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:23 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by pablitoooooo
I have wreathe previous posts and from what I read it seems like *G cutsomer from UA and ANA are being granted access to the LH lounges when flying 4U economy. Does anybody know whether this applies to TK *G card holder s well?
No. UA and ANA made a special arrangement for their *G customers to access LH lounges when flying 4U. As far as I know TK has not made such an arrangement.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:45 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
If anyone can find the documentation that proves that UA Star Golds get access to LH lounges when on 4U, can you please share?
The following is from Lufthansa's lounge access rules. For Eurowings read Germanwings.

Advice for passengers who are departing with Eurowings:

• Passengers have free access to the Lufthansa Senator and Business Lounges in Germany provided they have a Miles & More HON Circle Member or Senator Card.
  • Passengers who have booked the Eurowings BEST fare and Frequent Travellers who have booked the SMART fare are entitled to use the Lufthansa Business Lounges on the day of their flight.
  • Passengers who have a Star Alliance Gold Card, however, do not have access to the Lufthansa Lounges. Exceptions to this are the Star Alliance Gold Card customers of the airlines United Airlines (UA) and All Nippon Airways (NH), who receive access to Lufthansa’s Senator and Business Lounges.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:33 pm

Programs: AC E75K
Flying to TXL in a couple weeks on AC. Originally connecting via LHR on 4U, later switched to MUC on LH for unrelated reasons. Extra glad that I did now that I see this!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.