Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The A380 economy experience-post it here.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2011, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Post The A380 economy experience-post it here.

I will be booking my first A380 flight (in Economy) in a few days. (FRA-MIA)
What will I find on board? I have watched some videos and listened to some advertisements but the proof comes from the person who really flew in Economy.
Are the seats really more comfortable then other economy seats?
Do you feel like you have MORE leg room?
When someone reclines the seat in front of you is the meal tray in a comfortable position for you?
When boarding this huge craft, is there more then one entrance or do all rows (50 through 94) board from one door?
Is there enough over head storage space?
Is the service good, very good, OK, or lacking?
Is there zone boarding on such a large craft?
Specific to Frankfurt, where is the boarding area for this craft? What gates handle the A380?

If anyone has had experience I would love to see it posted here for all to see.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I flew on the inaugural SFO-FRA A380 flight and back to SFO two days later. I found the ride quite pleasant, more than I expected and WAY more than on the 744s which are the only other LH Y experience I have.

Are the seats really more comfortable then other economy seats?
Than the 744? ABSOLUTELY!
Do you feel like you have MORE leg room?
Yes.
When someone reclines the seat in front of you is the meal tray in a comfortable position for you?
I didn't have much of a problem. The reclined seat doesn't change where the tray is. The FAs did ask folks to un-recline during the meals so that helps a bit.
When boarding this huge craft, is there more then one entrance or do all rows (50 through 94) board from one door?
We used two doors on the main level and a third upstairs.
Is there enough over head storage space?
Yup.
Depends on the crew more than the aircraft. I found that the front or rear Y cabin had better service than the middle two.
Specific to Frankfurt, where is the boarding area for this craft? What gates handle the A380?
I'm pretty sure we were out in C14-16 or something like that.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbm12
I flew on the inaugural SFO-FRA A380 flight and back to SFO two days later. I found the ride quite pleasant, more than I expected and WAY more than on the 744s which are the only other LH Y experience I have.
What a great story and good pictures too. Thanks for your input.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 8:55 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Heidelberg Barbie
I will be booking my first A380 flight (in Economy) in a few days. (FRA-MIA)
What will I find on board? I have watched some videos and listened to some advertisements but the proof comes from the person who really flew in Economy.
An excellent thread. I'm sure many people will find it useful. I have read accounts of Y experience on the A380 in other threads and hope they can at least be linked from this one.

I think it depends on the airport. At some (like SFO) they use three jetbridges with two for the lower deck. At others they only use one for the upper deck and one for the lower but may operate boarding by zone (e.g. NRT).

I've only flown in F and had a mixed experience.

Is there zone boarding on such a large craft?
Please see above.

Specific to Frankfurt, where is the boarding area for this craft? What
gates handle the A380?
C13-16 as already mentioned. These gates allow boarding on two levels.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
An excellent thread. I'm sure many people will find it useful. I have read accounts of Y experience on the A380 in other threads and hope they can at least be linked from this one.
Thanks very much for your positive words, NewbieRunner!

I had done a bit more research on the Miami airport as to how they will handle this aircraft. The craft will 'dock' at the "J" terminal as all other LH craft are currently doing however I do not believe boarding will be through 2 doors. Also,boarding to the upper deck ... the terminal area of "J" uses a set of stairs to go down to the jetway so in my imagination I am thinking there has been installed a level for that deck? Hopefully someone with MIA experience will post.

MIA needs more 'people movers' as it is a loooooong walk from the main hall to "J"!!!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 12:37 am

Awesome Question

I will be flying on the new A380 from SFO in Y in August. This was my #1 requirement on my upcoming flight to TLV. I could not settle for Delta's old 747 out of JFK. I had to fly the A380 sooner rather than later after reading the many reports.

I wish you all the best on your first A380 flight it will feel like a kid in a candystore lol.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 1:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

I had done a bit more research on the Miami airport as to how they will handle this aircraft. The craft will 'dock' at the "J" terminal as all other LH craft are currently doing however I do not believe boarding will be through 2 doors. Also,boarding to the upper deck ... the terminal area of "J" uses a set of stairs to go down to the jetway so in my imagination I am thinking there has been installed a level for that deck? Hopefully someone with MIA experience will post.
I'd be very surprised if LH decided to start a regular service of the A380 to an airport without the facility for passengers to board/deboard on two levels. Someone pointed out earlier the importance of allowing passengers to access seats in all classes without having to use stairs. LH could put F and C classes on the upper deck and Y on the lower deck because direct boarding would be possible on both decks.

Seating on the 747 was designed before these things were considered important.

The "J" terminal may be a long way away but so are the "C" gates in FRA!!
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:02 am

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC

I was always wondering about the A gates in Frankfurt. (sorry, I am not very good at Frankfurt since I avoid whenever possible) Somewhere I read that Terminal 1A will have four A380 gates as well. Are they yet under construction (that extension replacing the FCT at some point) or are these gates of the latest extension that was opened last?year?

I assume those gates are not ready yet, North American departues (SFO,MIA, JFK) would make sense to send out of 1A like the rest...
Old Jul 7, 2011, 5:39 am

MIA needs more 'people movers' as it is a loooooong walk from the main hall to "J"!!!

My girlfriend was on the MIA / FRA flight a few days ago, traveling in business class, I'll do the same next month. I think she mentioned that all classes are boarding from the same J departure level but that the jetway for first / business class slopes upwards. Since you are saying "all other LH aircraft": there are none, only the A380 to my knowledge since the DUS and MUC flights don't operate anymore.
Unless you are connecting the J terminal is not that bad at all. You can use the security checkpoint at the very end of the terminal, close to LH check-in, and then it's a fairly short walk to the gate.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by supermasterphil
I was always wondering about the A gates in Frankfurt. (sorry, I am not very good at Frankfurt since I avoid whenever possible) Somewhere I read that Terminal 1A will have four A380 gates as well. Are they yet under construction (that extension replacing the FCT at some point) or are these gates of the latest extension that was opened last?year?

I assume those gates are not ready yet, North American departues (SFO,MIA, JFK) would make sense to send out of 1A like the rest...
I'm actually fascinated by FRA! When Pier A-Plus opens there will be four positions for the A380 and three for the A340-600. Each A380 position will have three jetbridges and each A340-600 position will have two jetbridges. Two smaller (e.g. A321) aircraft can also dock at each of the A380 position (so a maximum of 11 aircraft in all) and there will be three positions for remote parking.

Pier A-Plus will have four levels. Level 2 will be Schengen and levels 3 & 4 for non-Schengen (departure and arrival). The current Pier A also has two levels but it cannot handle the A380 because Schengen and non-Schengen passengers cannot mix.

Pier A-Plus is supposed to open some time during 2012. More information available here.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
I'm actually fascinated by FRA! When Pier A-Plus opens there will be four positions for the A380 and three for the A340-600. Each A380 position will have three jetbridges and each A340-600 position will have two jetbridges..
How is that relevant when you park 5 miles from the terminal and you have to leave the plane by buses?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by weero
How is that relevant when you park 5 miles from the terminal and you have to leave the plane by buses?
Do you mean when they come to pick you up in a limo - unless you are flying in F?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:45 am
Original Poster

I'd be very surprised if LH decided to start a regular service of the A380 to an airport without the facility for passengers to board/deboard on two levels. Someone pointed out earlier the importance of allowing passengers to access seats in all classes without having to use stairs. LH could put F and C classes on the upper deck and Y on the lower deck because direct boarding would be possible on both decks.

Seating on the 747 was designed before these things were considered important.

I will be taking pictures of all my travel experiences (as I often do) and will try to get a shot of the Miami "J" terminal config for the A380 AND the "C" gates in Frankfurt. In Miami, it seemed like a 2 kilometer walk I made, getting to "J" but perhaps it was the Miami heat?
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:58 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
I'm actually fascinated by FRA!
This doesnt come as a surprise
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:55 am

I will be taking pictures of all my travel experiences (as I often do) and will try to get a shot of the Miami "J" terminal config for the A380 AND the "C" gates in Frankfurt.
I've found this photo of LH's A380 at gate C14 in FRA with three jetbridges.

In NRT it's similar to MIA as described by mercflight. All passengers board from the same gate (45) but F and C passengers have longer to walk and it's uphill!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.