Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving to Germany: M&M credit card or Payback?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Moving to Germany: M&M credit card or Payback?

Hello forum,

soon I will move to Germany and I will have to change my current Belgian M&M credit card.

Currently I am SEN so I could get the M&M card for free, however I will not keep the status beyond the two years (no travel at the new job).
I read a little about Payback and the fact that it's a little more "flexible", and allows 1:1 transfer to M&M if necessary.

What would you recommend as a strategy to continue adding a few thousand award miles (~20000) a year to my account?

Thank you!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:14 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Sounds like a reasonable idea, given that you will not be doing air travel in your new job

The PAYBACK card is free and it gets you points for shopping at a series of gas sations, supermarkets, department stores, drusgtores and so on.

You can set up an automatic transfer system on your account and they transfer the points 1:1 to M&M.

Brings me in around 10-15k points per year which is actually quite a lot considering how measly LH are with M&M points on discounted domestic air travel, which, basically, is all I do with them.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by malmostoso
Hello forum,

soon I will move to Germany and I will have to change my current Belgian M&M credit card.

Currently I am SEN so I could get the M&M card for free, however I will not keep the status beyond the two years (no travel at the new job).
I read a little about Payback and the fact that it's a little more "flexible", and allows 1:1 transfer to M&M if necessary.

What would you recommend as a strategy to continue adding a few thousand award miles (~20000) a year to my account?
The best option is probably M&M-CC and Payback.

Payback only gives you points at a selection of stores (online and offline). If you keep your M&M-CC, you will additionally get miles for paying with your M&M-CC and enjoy unlimited mileage validity.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:18 am
DTS

Programs: AS 75k, A3 Gold, AC 25k, IHG Plat
Yeah, look for a good signup bonus on the M&M credit card (20k or more), and get it...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by worldclubber
The best option is probably M&M-CC and Payback.
I fully agree.

M&M-CC is a normal CC with some nice features (CDW upon car rentals, mileage validity, .. ). Payback is a system where - upon giving up some privacy on your buying patterns and utilizing some advanced multipliers - you can generate quite some points (= M&M miles) as kickback on spending money.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:58 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by Fly1By1Wire
I fully agree.

M&M-CC is a normal CC with some nice features (CDW upon car rentals, mileage validity, .. ). Payback is a system where - upon giving up some privacy on your buying patterns and utilizing some advanced multipliers - you can generate quite some points (= M&M miles) as kickback on spending money.
Additionally you can extend the lifetime of all points collected at Payback - in case that you have no Miles & More credit card which abolishes the award miles expiry.

You can hold these Payback points nearly to their expiration date after three years and then transfer them to Miles & More. Then the validity of the award miles begins with the transfer date and not the former collection date.

Therefore for all non-SENS and non-FTLS and non-holders of a more expensive M&M card the automatic transfer is not a good strategy.

Payback points can be transferred on any given day beginning with 200 points and increments of 1 point. The "transfer subscription" doesn't deliver any additional value.

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Thank you all for your advice. I read more about payback and I understand better how it works. Maybe the free Payback AMEX is not a bad idea as a backup card (as long as it's free), while the Visa seems like a waste of time and money (1 point each 4€? Really?).

The travel insurances might be worth paying for the M&M credit card. I'll get the SEN one when I move, and then see what to do in 2017.

Thank you!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:51 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
Also note that Payback offers a VISA card and an Amex card as well. The VISA card gives one payback point for every 4 Euros spent and the Amex gives one payback point for every 2 Euros spent. No points for cash withdrawals, although the one reason for getting the PB Visa is that cash withdrawals are free of charge in the Eurozone and in Sweden and the UK.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Thank you all for your advice. I read more about payback and I understand better how it works. Maybe the free Payback AMEX is not a bad idea as a backup card (as long as it's free), while the Visa seems like a waste of time and money (1 point each 4€? Really?).

The travel insurances might be worth paying for the M&M credit card. I'll get the SEN one when I move, and then see what to do in 2017.

Thank you!
As a backup the Payback CC may be OK, but not as a primary card. You get one mile per Euro spent on your LH M&M-CC and up to 10 regular Payback points per Euro. A stop at the drug store can give you more points than a couple of cheap intra-European LH flights...
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:10 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
If you get the AMEX card, try to find the right time to apply. I've applied twice: the first time I got some thousands points and the yearly fee would be waived for the first year. So I canceled the card after the first year.

A few months later they had a campaign with "no yearly fees forever", so I applied again and recieved a couple of thousands points again. This time I'll probably just keep the card because it's nice to have an AMEX "just in case".

HTB.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:29 am
Original Poster

That was my reasoning as well. A backup, free AMEX is not a bad thing to have.

I was wondering about "double dipping": say that I buy somewhere which awards payback points, and I pay with the M&M credit card : would I get 2 miles per €?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
Yes, I think you would.

I, for instance, buy stuff at my local drugstore and pay with my BA Barclaycard, but also present my PAYBACK card so I get PAYBACK points for using the store AND BA points for using the Barclaycard.

Same should apply for any M&M-routed credit card.

btw, if you haven't been solicited yet and still want to sign up for a LH Visa with a German address send me a pm with your details, since if I recruit you I will get some LH miles as a reward
Old Feb 12, 2015, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Originally Posted by gum
Additionally you can extend the lifetime of all points collected at Payback - in case that you have no Miles & More credit card which abolishes the award miles expiry.

You can hold these Payback points nearly to their expiration date after three years and then transfer them to Miles & More. Then the validity of the award miles begins with the transfer date and not the former collection date.

Therefore for all non-SENS and non-FTLS and non-holders of a more expensive M&M card the automatic transfer is not a good strategy.

Payback points can be transferred on any given day beginning with 200 points and increments of 1 point. The "transfer subscription" doesn't deliver any additional value.

Hope this helps.
Very useful to know, thanks very much. I was thinking that I would have to transfer them all this March (from Payback to M&M) but I didn't know you could transfer as many as you want when you want.

Malmotoso , I would bide your time and wait for a signup bonus. It might be worth sitting out. By the way, you can select up to 2 shopping partners with the Payback AMEX to receive double points on all purchases. I selected dm and Kaufhof, because I do quite a bit of shopping in both places.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 1:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I have both, but hardly use the °P Amex. The main reason is the low 2€:1°P ratio and the limited acceptance of the Amex in Germany (yes, its still an issue). The two dm I shop at also switched to accepting MC (previously only Visa and Amex), so I don't bother to use the Amex.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 4:16 am

Programs: KL FlyingBlue Gold, AY+, MM FTL, TK*G
That was my reasoning as well. A backup, free AMEX is not a bad thing to have.

I was wondering about "double dipping": say that I buy somewhere which awards payback points, and I pay with the M&M credit card : would I get 2 miles per €?
Yes, you will.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.