Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Moving to Germany: M&M credit card or Payback?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
This is quite a fascinating thread... I moved to Germany, have an Amex Plat, and am looking for a card for use when Amex isn't accepted. Either one of the PayBack Visas, or the Lufthansa Miles and More card, all look ideal for this.

Because of already having the Amex, I am leaning towards one of the PayBack Visas purely because of cost, but maybe the LH card does deserve a closer look?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:59 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by Mackle
This is quite a fascinating thread... I moved to Germany, have an Amex Plat, and am looking for a card for use when Amex isn't accepted. Either one of the PayBack Visas, or the Lufthansa Miles and More card, all look ideal for this.

Because of already having the Amex, I am leaning towards one of the PayBack Visas purely because of cost, but maybe the LH card does deserve a closer look?
Please be aware that this thread is more than three years old. The M&M CC accrual rates have changed for private cards and i am not aware of any PB Visa CC, just the Amex one that yields 1 PB point per €2 spent. Similar to what the private M&M cards earn these days.
mmff likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 5:23 am

Programs: Avis - PP, Bonvoy - Plat, BA - Bro, Hilton - Dia, Miles&More - FTL, Skywards - Sil, Sixt - Plat
Originally Posted by cas_de

Please be aware that this thread is more than three years old. The M&M CC accrual rates have changed for private cards and i am not aware of any PB Visa CC, just the Amex one that yields 1 PB point per €2 spent. Similar to what the private M&M cards earn these days.
When I log into my PayBack account, I can see advertised a PayBack Amex and two PayBack VISA cards which generate additional PayBack points.

I notice that the LH M&M business card has a 1:1 point/euro ratio rather than the 1:2 of the private card, but am guessing that the applicant has to prove they are a business (full time employee here so I can’t apply for this). This still lags behind the UK BA and Belgian M&M Amex cards with their 1.5:1 ratio though.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 1:35 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, BAEC Silver, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
I have a Payback visa credit card. Earning rates are not great to be honest, but I use it in Germany in places where I can't pay with amex and so as to actually earn any points (as opposed to have to resort to the boring ec karte). Similarly, this payback card gives you free cash withdrawals in EUR anywhere in Germany in VISA-geldautomaten i.e. virtually all the major banks. I like this feature. Otherwise the card is not too exciting.
Mackle likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by JFSV
Earning rates are not great to be honest, but I use it in Germany in places where I can't pay with amex and so as to actually earn any points (as opposed to have to resort to the boring ec karte)
This is exactly what I am looking for, a points-earning backup card for when Amex isn't accepted ^
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:56 am

Just seen there is a UK M&M charge card recently introduced that has 1.25 M&M miles per £1. As I still have a UK address, that's more tempting than 1 point per 2€...
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mackle
Just seen there is a UK M&M charge card recently introduced that has 1.25 M&M miles per £1. As I still have a UK address, that's more tempting than 1 point per 2€...
The downside is that it's Diners Club so there are acceptance issues. The other thing is that the Mastercard that runs alongside it is technically a prepaid version, so you can't use it in Curve or petrol stations or Revolut top-up, etc.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by yurtripper
The downside is that it's Diners Club so there are acceptance issues. The other thing is that the Mastercard that runs alongside it is technically a prepaid version, so you can't use it in Curve or petrol stations or Revolut top-up, etc.
Have to be honest, I was thinking/hoping that perhaps with a Revolut or Curve it becomes a suitable card to use in mainland Europe for those times when Amex isn't accepted But then I think Curve works with Revolut, which is also a top-up card, so maybe the LH UKMC companion card will eventually work with Curve...

That's this card shot down for now though. I guess that before moving to Germany, I was spoiled by the redemption value of Avios coupled with the BA Amex paying 1.5 Amex per pound I still can't believe that in their home country, it's a paltry 1 point per 2 Euro (compared with other Lufthansa Group countries like the Brussels Air Miles and More card paying 1.5 points per Euro) plus for example to fly FRA-LHR/LCY is a much higher MM point outlay than 7500-9000 Avios.

Last edited by Mackle; Jan 8, 2019 at 10:49 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.