FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   No more free bag for *G/FTL/SEN on SN in "Check&Go" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1646256-no-more-free-bag-g-ftl-sen-sn-check-go.html)

hugolover Jan 15, 15 7:33 am

No more free bag for *G/FTL/SEN on SN in "Check&Go"

I didn't see this posted here:

Dear hugolover,

In August last year, we launched four new products on our European network offering passengers an even wider choice of travel. Next to Light&Relax, Flex&Fast and Bizz&Class, we introduced a new hand luggage only product, Check&Go, available from €69.

Right after the introduction of our new travel products, we put in place an interim period during which we honoured your free baggage allowance when travelling in Check&Go. As of February 1st 2015, and in-line with the luggage policy of Check&Go, only hand baggage of up to 12 kg will be free of charge.

As a status Miles & More member, you will however continue to enjoy your free baggage allowance when flying with one of the other three travel products that include checked baggage: Light&Relax, Flex&Fast and Bizz&Class.

Whichever way you choose to travel, the choice is yours!

Please find a complete overview here.

We look forward to welcoming you on board of one of our flights soon.

Yours sincerely,

keretey Jan 15, 15 8:45 am

Looks like large mistake.
They forgot to name it 'enhancement'...

malmostoso Jan 15, 15 8:49 am

Originally Posted by hugolover (Post 24171461)
I didn't see this posted here:

I reported it here. I received the same message today.

Who do they think they are, NZ?

TPJ Jan 15, 15 8:50 am

So now we have 2 exceptions to one extra piece of baggage for Star Golds:

- NZ 'Seat' fares
- SN 'Check&Go' fares

Grrrrr

svenbcn Jan 15, 15 10:04 am

I got the email as well. I wrote them a message on their Facebook page asking for a compensation for tickets already booked for February... *wishful thinking*

kanor Jan 15, 15 10:23 am

I dont seen any exceptions or other clauses on the *A webpage next to the bag benefit. Wonder what would happen if status pax would start sending their bills to *A or their FFP.

GBM.flights Jan 15, 15 10:50 am

This type of stuff amazes me.
Can this really be that much revenue that they feel the need to tell their frequent flyers to just shut up and pay?

And with FR and U2 increasing presence at BRU that's just asking for it...

weero Jan 15, 15 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by keretey (Post 24171886)
..They forgot to name it 'enhancement'...

And to stress that the customers actually insisted on this ... so they just gave in to popular demand.

pewpew Jan 15, 15 6:44 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by kanor
I dont seen any exceptions or other clauses on the *A webpage next to the bag benefit. Wonder what would happen if status pax would start sending their bills to *A or their FFP.

3. This benefit may only be available if travelling on two or more Star Alliance member airlines on a single ticket. Please contact the Star Alliance member airline with whom you will check-in with for further details.

UltraRant Jan 16, 15 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by weero (Post 24175529)
And to stress that the customers actually insisted on this ... so they just gave in to popular demand.

Given that FR and EZY are growing big time on BRU and given their hold luggage policies, there might indeed be a market for hand luggage fares only... ;)

I find it rather questionable if SN should pisz off its best customers by removing the free bag. I also find it questionable that SN willingly puts its product on the same level as the aforementioned. To me it'd make more sense to highlight all the benefits of flying with a 'real' airline instead...

What's next? SN out of *A and into ELFAA?

weero Jan 16, 15 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 24181446)
Given that FR and EZY are growing big time on BRU and given their hold luggage policies, there might indeed be a market for hand luggage fares only... ;)

I find it rather questionable if SN should pisz off its best customers by removing the free bag...

I sure agree ... but if LH thinks it can get away with claiming that the SENs demanded the abolition of the free birthday upgrade voucher, then I am sure "don't give us free luggage" will fly too.

Tirreg Jan 17, 15 2:32 am

SN decided not to honor the *G benefit of free checked baggage for their cheapest flight.

IMHO there are two options: Accept it or take another airline.

Star Alliance just an alliance. The itention of each airline is still to make money. There is no Star Alliance court where the whole SQ staff can be sent to Star Alliance prison for not releasing F/C awards to UA/LM FFP or SN has to pay 1.000.000.000.000.000.000.000 fine for not honoring baggage allowances.

And customers - no matter if they are PlatinumChairmanExecutiveSuperElite - paying 39 EUR for a cheap intra-Europe fare are not the airlines best customer.

tgj1974 Jan 17, 15 5:09 am

Originally Posted by Tirreg (Post 24183016)

And customers - no matter if they are PlatinumChairmanExecutiveSuperElite - paying 39 EUR for a cheap intra-Europe fare are not the airlines best customer.

Given a one way BRU-CPH on check and go monday is 250 EUR, wouldn't that be reasonable with a free bag. I would understand if check and go, was a limited number of tickets at ultra low prices well in advance, but in reality its just a new booking class where prices are following the other classes.

weero Jan 17, 15 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Tirreg (Post 24183016)
SN decided not to honor the *G benefit of free checked baggage for their cheapest flight.

IMHO there are two options: Accept it or take another airline.

Those are the two only options you can think of?

Star Alliance just an alliance. The itention of each airline is still to make money. There is no Star Alliance court where the whole SQ staff can be sent to Star Alliance prison for not releasing F/C awards to UA/LM FFP
The *A absolutely has a mediation system. The free additional luggage allowance is a minimum *A benefit. C and F of certain routes and dates is not. SQ absolutely provides some inventory to the generic *A pool (i.e. non-KF and non-M&M programs) but not on modern equipment longhauls.

..And customers - no matter if they are PlatinumChairmanExecutiveSuperElite - paying 39 EUR for a cheap intra-Europe fare are not the airlines best customer.
Wait two more years and these will absolutely be the customers LX, LH, and SN will compete over with the pure LCCs.

UltraRant Jan 17, 15 8:38 am

Originally Posted by weero (Post 24181801)
I sure agree ... but if LH thinks it can get away with claiming that the SENs demanded the abolition of the free birthday upgrade voucher, then I am sure "don't give us free luggage" will fly too.

Given the amount of strikes it's rather unique if anything flies at all with LH.

Anyway, you're right. SAS uses a forum called 'MySAS' where they claim passengers fill out such idiotic demands like: we want less points, we don't want priority boarding in OSL and we don't need a real C section on intra-Europe flights.

I guess LH has the same kind of crystal bulb to look in when they assume passengers want less benefits. Must be a *A thingy.

weero Jan 17, 15 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 24183935)
Given the amount of strikes it's rather unique if anything flies at all with LH.

Well I fly them when not on paid work trips .. they got a lot cheaper and servcie quality has only dropped somewhat.

I guess LH has the same kind of crystal bulb to look in when they assume passengers want less benefits. Must be a *A thingy.
They use different auspices though - UA is like an abusive parents who beats the kids while claiming that this will be good for the kids in the long run.

But usual oddity is that about 1/3rd of the kids buy it and believe that they have been battered into better characters/frequent flyers.

little_dc Feb 18, 15 1:04 am

Brussels Airlines Bag Fees for *G

Has anyone ran into this issue after 1 Feb 15? I booked check & go before they announced they were going to start to charge *G members for a checked bag. I fly this weekend, and I’m getting mixed info from SN, some say I will get 1 checked bag as a *G as I booked before the change, and others tell me that I will not get a bag after 1 Feb. Anyone run into this. I have a facebook PM from the SN social media team and I hope this will work at the check in counter in Manchester.

As of Feb 1 2015, Brussels Airlines (SN) has decided to start the devaluation of Star Alliance Gold and change *G members for a checked bag when booked in Check&Go. As far as I can tell they are the first airline to do something like this. SWISS out of Geneva has a fare that charges for all checked bag but they allow *G and other status members 1 checked bag. UNITED charges for all checked bags for US domestic flights but allow *G 1 checked bag.

I wrote the Star Alliance contact page, and got a response telling me that Star Gold always get 1 extra bag no matter what airline or fare ?!?!

malmostoso Feb 18, 15 3:35 am

We had a discussion about this in another thread. SN is not alone in this game, following the footsteps of NZ.

Is it cool? No. Is it unheard of? Neither.

shefgab Feb 19, 15 9:55 am

Judging by the terminology on the SN website (http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-b...e/default.aspx), to me it sounds like from 1 Feb, *G must pay for a bag, even if booked before that date. Not fair for people booked in advance, but there we go. I was caught out when BD changed their free catering for their Diamond Club pax - even if you booked before the change, you still didn't get any free catering as was the case before.

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 24371052)
We had a discussion about this in another thread. SN is not alone in this game, following the footsteps of NZ.

BA do this as well. Their "Hand Baggage Only" fares mean just that, even for BA Gold pax.

yrp Feb 23, 15 11:48 pm

Looking at the link posted above, it isn't clear if the table showing extra allowance for Star Gold applies to all flights or just international flights -- sort of seems to be under the international heading. Do *G get a second bag on Economy or Light&Relax fares within Europe?

I'm booked from MAD-BRU on SN connecting to BRU-YUL on AC, AC booking class K. I assume that would map to economy not check&go, so I'd get 2 bags with *G, right?

pewpew Feb 24, 15 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by yrp (Post 24404769)
I'm booked from MAD-BRU on SN connecting to BRU-YUL on AC, AC booking class K. I assume that would map to economy not check&go, so I'd get 2 bags with *G, right?

Well based on your itinerary, AC's bag fees (i.e. 3x70lbs for *G) prevail if it's all one a single ticket.

yrp Feb 28, 15 6:49 pm

Thanks, wasn't sure if AC's or SN's rules would apply.

shonamac Aug 27, 16 10:05 pm

Brussels Airlines hand-baggage only fares

If I have an hand-baggage only fare ('Check&Go') with SN and happen to be a Star Alliance Gold member (different *A carrier), would I be able to check a bag free of charge since *G members are allowed an extra bag FOC?

SK AAR Aug 27, 16 10:57 pm

Short answer: No

trooper Aug 27, 16 11:05 pm

Airlines that have introduced these fares seem to interpret that extra bag as only applying when a baggage allowance exists. Extra to that existing allowance.

KLouis Aug 27, 16 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 27129017)
Airlines that have introduced these fares seem to interpret that extra bag as only applying when a baggage allowance exists. Extra to that existing allowance.

Not all of them. Aegean does basic arithmetics: 0+1=1 :)

malmostoso Aug 27, 16 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 27129104)
Not all of them. Aegean does basic arithmetics: 0+1=1 :)

That's easy when you have Euclid in your team.

trooper Aug 28, 16 12:09 am

Good to know... not familiar with A3!!

shonamac Aug 29, 16 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 27129002)
Short answer: No

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 27129017)

OP here. I have flown several times on SK on such handbaggage only fares and was allowed to check in a bag FOC due to my *G status. It seems they follow a similar policy to A3.

Perhaps the Lufthansa group plays by different rules?

PS. Before [redacted] Trooper corrects me, let me say I do know that [redacted] play a different game. Of course, in my book, [redacted] are no other than Air NZ.

SwissBritMiss Aug 30, 16 5:14 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 27129108)
That's easy when you have Euclid in your team.

Poor Pythagoras! Invents number theory; only remembered for triangles ;)

Best FT comment I've seen in a long time ^

cyborg Aug 30, 16 7:53 pm

deleted

luftair Oct 13, 16 3:09 pm

x

Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.

that sucks

IAN-UK Oct 15, 16 1:33 am

Happy to confirm SAS thinking aligns with the 0+1=1 identity.

SwissBritMiss Oct 17, 16 10:09 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK (Post 27348625)
Happy to confirm SAS thinking aligns with the 0+1=1 identity.

We'll add the Scandis to the Greeks in the "can do maths" camp. Out are the Swiss, Germans, Austrians, Belgians and Kiwis...

0 != 1

;)

BZNZ Apr 20, 18 8:30 am

Brussels Airlines Check & Go *G extra baggage allowance

I purchased a Check & Go fare yesterday and purchased 1 bag with my ticket. I have Star Alliance Gold with NZ, and I was wondering whether or not I get an additional bag because the chart below is a bit confusing as well as the Star Alliance website.

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-...ent-flyer.aspx

Star Alliance website Quote:

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, "tap discount" fares offered by TAP and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
If I have pre-purchased a bag on the Check & Go fare, the wording implies that I wouldn't be eligible for a second bag even though I have paid for the first, is my understanding correct?

SK AAR Apr 20, 18 9:39 am

Correct. No free second checked bag.

nldogbert Sep 11, 18 6:54 am

Light&Relax fare on SN

Hi,

I purchased a Light&Relax fare on SN between FCO-BRU. Yesterday while checking in, as I have read and as I understand, as *G, I should have been eligible for a 2nd check in bag for free under the normal *G benefit. However the check-in agent at FCO (a 3rd party agent) insisted that the computer said I needed to pay for the 2nd bag. Since there was no station manager of SN at Rome, I just paid since after some time it was clear that it was futile to argue further.
Already wrote to SN to reclaim back this fee as it is clearly stated on the StarAlliance website that only Check&Go fares need to pay even as a *G (which in my opinion is still rather terrible).

Normally I try to avoid flying with SN unless the fare difference is super huge and "suffering" the < 2 hours flight is worth it above the silly policy of the BoB for this fare and the horrible airport of BRU.
My only consolation yesterday was that the flight was operated by one of the themed aircraft - the Smurf and to enjoy the Star Alliance lounge at FCO (which was superb btw as a lounge)

Cheers!

yurtripper Sep 11, 18 8:15 am

Originally Posted by nldogbert (Post 30191588)
Hi,

I purchased a Light&Relax fare on SN between FCO-BRU. Yesterday while checking in, as I have read and as I understand, as *G, I should have been eligible for a 2nd check in bag for free under the normal *G benefit. However the check-in agent at FCO (a 3rd party agent) insisted that the computer said I needed to pay for the 2nd bag. Since there was no station manager of SN at Rome, I just paid since after some time it was clear that it was futile to argue further.
Already wrote to SN to reclaim back this fee as it is clearly stated on the StarAlliance website that only Check&Go fares need to pay even as a *G (which in my opinion is still rather terrible).

Normally I try to avoid flying with SN unless the fare difference is super huge and "suffering" the < 2 hours flight is worth it above the silly policy of the BoB for this fare and the horrible airport of BRU.
My only consolation yesterday was that the flight was operated by one of the themed aircraft - the Smurf and to enjoy the Star Alliance lounge at FCO (which was superb btw as a lounge)

Cheers!

That sounds strange. The policy of not giving +1 bag for *G should only apply to Light/Go type fares (e.g 0PC) on LH Group airlines. On LO you still get an extra bag as *G with the 0PC fares.

warakorn Sep 12, 18 8:59 am

Free baggage allowance as Star Gold does not automatically apply to all individual flights.

It's written on the Star Alliance website.

Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights.
https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status

Flyingbiker Nov 4, 18 10:07 pm

Checked baggage on BRU

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I am looking at a few segments on Brussels airline next year. I have Star Alliance G. If I book in the hand baggage only class ( check and go ) will my status allow me to check in a bag under 20kg?