No more free bag for *G/FTL/SEN on SN in "Check&Go"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 1:23 pm Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Oct 13, 2016, 3:09 pm

x

Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.

that sucks
Old Oct 15, 2016, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Happy to confirm SAS thinking aligns with the 0+1=1 identity.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Happy to confirm SAS thinking aligns with the 0+1=1 identity.
We'll add the Scandis to the Greeks in the "can do maths" camp. Out are the Swiss, Germans, Austrians, Belgians and Kiwis...

0 != 1

Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), IHG Spire Elite, Accor ALL Gold
Brussels Airlines Check & Go *G extra baggage allowance

I purchased a Check & Go fare yesterday and purchased 1 bag with my ticket. I have Star Alliance Gold with NZ, and I was wondering whether or not I get an additional bag because the chart below is a bit confusing as well as the Star Alliance website.

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-...ent-flyer.aspx

Star Alliance website Quote:
Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS, "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, "tap discount" fares offered by TAP and “Go light” fares offered by SAS as well as on “Seat” fares offered by Air New Zealand, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
If I have pre-purchased a bag on the Check & Go fare, the wording implies that I wouldn't be eligible for a second bag even though I have paid for the first, is my understanding correct?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Correct. No free second checked bag.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 6:54 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Light&Relax fare on SN

Hi,

I purchased a Light&Relax fare on SN between FCO-BRU. Yesterday while checking in, as I have read and as I understand, as *G, I should have been eligible for a 2nd check in bag for free under the normal *G benefit. However the check-in agent at FCO (a 3rd party agent) insisted that the computer said I needed to pay for the 2nd bag. Since there was no station manager of SN at Rome, I just paid since after some time it was clear that it was futile to argue further.
Already wrote to SN to reclaim back this fee as it is clearly stated on the StarAlliance website that only Check&Go fares need to pay even as a *G (which in my opinion is still rather terrible).

Normally I try to avoid flying with SN unless the fare difference is super huge and "suffering" the < 2 hours flight is worth it above the silly policy of the BoB for this fare and the horrible airport of BRU.
My only consolation yesterday was that the flight was operated by one of the themed aircraft - the Smurf and to enjoy the Star Alliance lounge at FCO (which was superb btw as a lounge)

Cheers!
Old Sep 11, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Hi,

I purchased a Light&Relax fare on SN between FCO-BRU. Yesterday while checking in, as I have read and as I understand, as *G, I should have been eligible for a 2nd check in bag for free under the normal *G benefit. However the check-in agent at FCO (a 3rd party agent) insisted that the computer said I needed to pay for the 2nd bag. Since there was no station manager of SN at Rome, I just paid since after some time it was clear that it was futile to argue further.
Already wrote to SN to reclaim back this fee as it is clearly stated on the StarAlliance website that only Check&Go fares need to pay even as a *G (which in my opinion is still rather terrible).

Normally I try to avoid flying with SN unless the fare difference is super huge and "suffering" the < 2 hours flight is worth it above the silly policy of the BoB for this fare and the horrible airport of BRU.
My only consolation yesterday was that the flight was operated by one of the themed aircraft - the Smurf and to enjoy the Star Alliance lounge at FCO (which was superb btw as a lounge)

Cheers!
That sounds strange. The policy of not giving +1 bag for *G should only apply to Light/Go type fares (e.g 0PC) on LH Group airlines. On LO you still get an extra bag as *G with the 0PC fares.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Free baggage allowance as Star Gold does not automatically apply to all individual flights.

It's written on the Star Alliance website.
Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights.
https://www.staralliance.com/en/gold-status
Old Nov 4, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: TG, SQ. Amex
Checked baggage on BRU

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere. I am looking at a few segments on Brussels airline next year. I have Star Alliance G. If I book in the hand baggage only class ( check and go ) will my status allow me to check in a bag under 20kg?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
No, check and go gives no luggage, even with status.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 12:23 am

Unfortunately, no.

Star gold gives you an extra checked in bag if your ticket already includes one but no extra allowance on HBO fares.

https://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-...ent-flyer.aspx

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.