FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more-495/)
-   -   No more free bag for *G/FTL/SEN on SN in "Check&Go" (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/lufthansa-austrian-swiss-brussels-lot-other-partners-miles-more/1646256-no-more-free-bag-g-ftl-sen-sn-check-go.html)

weero Jan 17, 15 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by UltraRant (Post 24183935)
Given the amount of strikes it's rather unique if anything flies at all with LH.

Well I fly them when not on paid work trips .. they got a lot cheaper and servcie quality has only dropped somewhat.

I guess LH has the same kind of crystal bulb to look in when they assume passengers want less benefits. Must be a *A thingy.
They use different auspices though - UA is like an abusive parents who beats the kids while claiming that this will be good for the kids in the long run.

But usual oddity is that about 1/3rd of the kids buy it and believe that they have been battered into better characters/frequent flyers.

little_dc Feb 18, 15 1:04 am

Brussels Airlines Bag Fees for *G

Has anyone ran into this issue after 1 Feb 15? I booked check & go before they announced they were going to start to charge *G members for a checked bag. I fly this weekend, and Iím getting mixed info from SN, some say I will get 1 checked bag as a *G as I booked before the change, and others tell me that I will not get a bag after 1 Feb. Anyone run into this. I have a facebook PM from the SN social media team and I hope this will work at the check in counter in Manchester.

As of Feb 1 2015, Brussels Airlines (SN) has decided to start the devaluation of Star Alliance Gold and change *G members for a checked bag when booked in Check&Go. As far as I can tell they are the first airline to do something like this. SWISS out of Geneva has a fare that charges for all checked bag but they allow *G and other status members 1 checked bag. UNITED charges for all checked bags for US domestic flights but allow *G 1 checked bag.

I wrote the Star Alliance contact page, and got a response telling me that Star Gold always get 1 extra bag no matter what airline or fare ?!?!

malmostoso Feb 18, 15 3:35 am

We had a discussion about this in another thread. SN is not alone in this game, following the footsteps of NZ.

Is it cool? No. Is it unheard of? Neither.

shefgab Feb 19, 15 9:55 am

Judging by the terminology on the SN website (http://www.brusselsairlines.com/en-b...e/default.aspx), to me it sounds like from 1 Feb, *G must pay for a bag, even if booked before that date. Not fair for people booked in advance, but there we go. I was caught out when BD changed their free catering for their Diamond Club pax - even if you booked before the change, you still didn't get any free catering as was the case before.

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 24371052)
We had a discussion about this in another thread. SN is not alone in this game, following the footsteps of NZ.

BA do this as well. Their "Hand Baggage Only" fares mean just that, even for BA Gold pax.

yrp Feb 23, 15 11:48 pm

Looking at the link posted above, it isn't clear if the table showing extra allowance for Star Gold applies to all flights or just international flights -- sort of seems to be under the international heading. Do *G get a second bag on Economy or Light&Relax fares within Europe?

I'm booked from MAD-BRU on SN connecting to BRU-YUL on AC, AC booking class K. I assume that would map to economy not check&go, so I'd get 2 bags with *G, right?

pewpew Feb 24, 15 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by yrp (Post 24404769)
I'm booked from MAD-BRU on SN connecting to BRU-YUL on AC, AC booking class K. I assume that would map to economy not check&go, so I'd get 2 bags with *G, right?

Well based on your itinerary, AC's bag fees (i.e. 3x70lbs for *G) prevail if it's all one a single ticket.

yrp Feb 28, 15 6:49 pm

Thanks, wasn't sure if AC's or SN's rules would apply.

shonamac Aug 27, 16 10:05 pm

Brussels Airlines hand-baggage only fares

If I have an hand-baggage only fare ('Check&Go') with SN and happen to be a Star Alliance Gold member (different *A carrier), would I be able to check a bag free of charge since *G members are allowed an extra bag FOC?

SK AAR Aug 27, 16 10:57 pm

Short answer: No

trooper Aug 27, 16 11:05 pm

Airlines that have introduced these fares seem to interpret that extra bag as only applying when a baggage allowance exists. Extra to that existing allowance.

KLouis Aug 27, 16 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 27129017)
Airlines that have introduced these fares seem to interpret that extra bag as only applying when a baggage allowance exists. Extra to that existing allowance.

Not all of them. Aegean does basic arithmetics: 0+1=1 :)

malmostoso Aug 27, 16 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis (Post 27129104)
Not all of them. Aegean does basic arithmetics: 0+1=1 :)

That's easy when you have Euclid in your team.

trooper Aug 28, 16 12:09 am

Good to know... not familiar with A3!!

shonamac Aug 29, 16 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by SK AAR (Post 27129002)
Short answer: No

Originally Posted by trooper (Post 27129017)

OP here. I have flown several times on SK on such handbaggage only fares and was allowed to check in a bag FOC due to my *G status. It seems they follow a similar policy to A3.

Perhaps the Lufthansa group plays by different rules?

PS. Before [redacted] Trooper corrects me, let me say I do know that [redacted] play a different game. Of course, in my book, [redacted] are no other than Air NZ.

SwissBritMiss Aug 30, 16 5:14 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso (Post 27129108)
That's easy when you have Euclid in your team.

Poor Pythagoras! Invents number theory; only remembered for triangles ;)

Best FT comment I've seen in a long time ^