Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reviews/Feedback on LH Premium Economy flights?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:21 am

LH Premium Economy - Worth It?

Hi

Has anyone recently flown on LH in PE? I am booked on FRA-JNB in Dec., and being 6'4'' the extra 7" of legroom is really tempting. However, when comparing the LH PE to AF PE, it seems like a much inferior product. I'm not sure whether it is worth the extra money to upgrade.

Thoughts?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA silver, LH, UA
Originally Posted by flyerboy87
Hi

Has anyone recently flown on LH in PE? I am booked on FRA-JNB in Dec., and being 6'4'' the extra 7" of legroom is really tempting. However, when comparing the LH PE to AF PE, it seems like a much inferior product. I'm not sure whether it is worth the extra money to upgrade.

Thoughts?
Got op-uped on MUC-HKG. It was very decent experience. Better than UA Y+ (more space, less cramped, better IFE, a small amenity kit). As 1.70m (5'8"?) I can enjoy a regular Y seat, but if I need to be fresh and/or the price differnce is small, why not?
Old Feb 15, 2015, 3:56 pm

Programs: LH MM**, HH Silver
Writing this @FL370 in an LH A346 sitting in 25K exit row Y+ seat. Am 190cm tall, roughly 6'3".
Less legroom than plain old Y exit row due to the hard bulk head. Can't really stretch my legs. The leg rest is not of much use for me either. Irony- if you want to stretch your legs, do not take the exit row...
Other than that no complains. The seat is decent, the wide arm rest makes a big difference. Got a fast track for immigration, too. Amenity kit with bare essentials, but sufficient.

Last edited by whiskey_sk; Feb 15, 2015 at 4:10 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 16, 2015, 12:29 am

Y+ was very different to the standard eco experience. It is not just extra legroom like UA+. I tis a different product with a very nice seat, better food and service in general. Made the flight very enjoyable and if it is reasonable priced it is a no brainer in my opinion.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: LH-SEN, DL-Platinum
I'd be very grateful if someone would venture a comparison between an exit row seat on a 747 or A330/340 compared to Y+. While I still have SEN status, that's the relevant comparison for me. I'm not sure it's worth the money to upgrade over 32A on the 747, for example.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by econprof
I'd be very grateful if someone would venture a comparison between an exit row seat on a 747 or A330/340 compared to Y+. While I still have SEN status, that's the relevant comparison for me. I'm not sure it's worth the money to upgrade over 32A on the 747, for example.
Y+ advantages:

--Noticeably wider seat with own armrest.
--Noticeably more recline in seat.
--In seat power (with a power supply that can handle at least an 85W Apple supply.
--Nice tray table for eating/working/playing (note you will have to recline yourself somewhat if you want to use a laptop at your seat when the person in front of you is fully reclined)
--Same Y food, but served in ceramic instead of plastic.

32A advantages:

--Cheap for SEN
--Window with aisle access (though sometimes the pax sprawled out in 31B will make that difficult)
--more leg room

My humble opinion: the value is there in Y+ vs. "32A" and is worth the extra cost if your budget is not absolutely restricted.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:51 pm

Originally Posted by econprof
honestly, I couldn't care less about chinaware, it's legroom I crave, and my observations are as follows:
- in general, an exit row in plain Y is giving you significantly more legroom than any Y+ seat on a 346.
- on a 744 the seat to be is 33A/K in plain Y.
- on a 748 the exit row is in Y+ section, however way better than its 346 counterpart - on 748 you get all the Y+ benefits plus exit row legroom galore, since there is no bulkhead as on a 346.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
honestly, I couldn't care less about chinaware, it's legroom I crave, and my observations are as follows:
- in general, an exit row in plain Y is giving you significantly more legroom than any Y+ seat on a 346.
- on a 744 the seat to be is 33A/K in plain Y.
- on a 748 the exit row is in Y+ section, however way better than its 346 counterpart - on 748 you get all the Y+ benefits plus exit row legroom galore, since there is no bulkhead as on a 346.
Power and recline are worth something to me, but guess because I have short legs, I do not notice the lack of legroom so much...

I can see how the exit row leg room could trump some width and recline for taller travelers.

The exit rows are nice for stretching the legs, though.
Sorry, but I have not had the pleasure of Y+ on a 346 (yet).
Old Feb 16, 2015, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by N1003U
Power and recline are worth something to me, but guess because I have short legs, I do not notice the lack of legroom so much...

I can see how the exit row leg room could trump some width and recline for taller travelers.

I am tall and I am thin, of an enviable height, and I've been known to be quite handsome...
...from a certain angle and in a certain light
You most definitely have a point with the recline, it's really a class apart from plain Y ^
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:23 am

Programs: LH FTL
Y+ advantages:
--Same Y food, but served in ceramic instead of plastic.
Sure, chinaware is an advantage over the plastic bowls in Y, but if the food is the same, it's smoke and mirrors, isn't it?
So no difference in terms of qualitiy and quantity of the meals?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

My humble opinion: the value is there in Y+ vs. "32A" and is worth the extra cost if your budget is not absolutely restricted.
However nice Y+ is.... I was looking for a quick trip to Japan on LH. €600 for Y (or in fact K) vs €1.500 for Y+.

A bit expensive for the extra room and a few more miles.... But I must admit, still a bit of a steal compared to the €3.700 they want for C.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by RTW1
However nice Y+ is.... I was looking for a quick trip to Japan on LH. €600 for Y (or in fact K) vs €1.500 for Y+.

A bit expensive for the extra room and a few more miles.... But I must admit, still a bit of a steal compared to the €3.700 they want for C.
Have you checked meilenschnaeppchen, too? IIRC there was availability to Japan every month over the past year or so.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:05 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by whiskey_sk
Have you checked meilenschnaeppchen, too? IIRC there was availability to Japan every month over the past year or so.
I know... but that doesn't really work for me on a somewhat last minute trip since the booking requirements demand that I book way in advance. You can book now for June :-(.
And I still pay the €500 in taxes.

Last edited by RTW1; Feb 17, 2015 at 1:11 am
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:14 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RTW1

What dates are you looking at? I can find €2,830 in C (Z) AMS-HND next week though Y+ is rather expensive at €2,693. Also try booking on NH's website. They've lowered fuel surcharges even on flights operated by LH.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 1:30 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Coming back to Y vs Y+:

Power: the new and retrofitted aircraft have power in plain Y too.

Seat spacing: what bugs me in Y is that bulkhead and exit row seating (which often mean more leg/personal space) have the table/tray stored in the armrest, making it immovable. So you are sort restricted at the hips. I Y+ that is not a problem.

I would buy the K fare and bid for Y+(N) via plusgrade with 200€. @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.