Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reviews/Feedback on LH Premium Economy flights?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by pobbop
An experience - on the A340-300 between FRA-TPA, the middle row bulkhead had observably more legroom (more than a foot) than the 2 window rows. Not sure why.
Thanks!

Anyone know about the 744 PE bulkhead seats?
Old Feb 1, 2016, 3:23 pm

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Almost ended up sitting in PE, but our upgrades to biz cleared on the 744.

Not worth the 50k miles per pax from M&M - for that value one can buy the revenue biz P fare if available ex-India. (Which was available when I was booking)

No need for all the stress up to boarding to see if you end up in front - I was resigned to sitting in the back, and also never got the extra baggage allowance.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SuperFlyBoy
..No need for all the stress up to boarding to see if you end up in front - I was resigned to sitting in the back, and also never got the extra baggage allowance.
Good point actually. One of the main reason why I almost entirely switched flying LH over staying with UA (other than the better food, drinks, much better pilots, cooler crews, and cleaner seats) is that I absolutely loathe the upgrade rodeo. Even as a 1K on full fares, I never clear before the gate. But the last two times I cleared, I cleared after "boarding completed". So well after all the emotional damage is done, I got installed in the tiny seat, and the entire plane then gets to watch Dr. Cheapo to wander back to C "for free".

It annoys me so much that on the relatively short TATL, I turned the past-last minute upgrade down. I find it unprofessional and ridiculous. On LH I get PE and don't have to fight with anyone.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by weero
Good point actually. One of the main reason why I almost entirely switched flying LH over staying with UA (other than the better food, drinks, much better pilots, cooler crews, and cleaner seats) is that I absolutely loathe the upgrade rodeo. Even as a 1K on full fares, I never clear before the gate. But the last two times I cleared, I cleared after "boarding completed". So well after all the emotional damage is done, I got installed in the tiny seat, and the entire plane then gets to watch Dr. Cheapo to wander back to C "for free".

It annoys me so much that on the relatively short TATL, I turned the past-last minute upgrade down. I find it unprofessional and ridiculous. On LH I get PE and don't have to fight with anyone.
Personally, my experience with UA food (in biz - never flown in the back TATL - thanks to planning ahead for R space) has been very good - almost always.

I was so tired that I couldn't even get a chance to properly check out the PE on the 744, but the FA confirmed that PE had to use the same lavs as economy pax, which is wild.

I am seeing that lav space is definitely lacking on board this aircraft in C.

LH food just simply sucks, period. (In any COS, unless food in C/F is catered ex-USA, where sometimes they go (slightly) beyond the mediocre)

We had to endure the same meal we had a couple of weeks ago - some rendition of an Indian chicken curry with dal - just served with much more finesse than earlier years - due to the (relatively new) restaurant service.

It's sad that LH is forcing the crews to do this when the actual food is not up to even basic Air India standard! (And I must say AI has improved substantially)
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:54 pm

Personally, my experience with UA food (in biz - never flown in the back TATL - thanks to planning ahead for R space) has been very good - almost always.
Sure that is possible, I was talking food in coach and there UA is shameless, almost like their lounge offerings. 19th century prison style.
I was so tired that I couldn't even get a chance to properly check out the PE on the 744, but the FA confirmed that PE had to use the same lavs as economy pax, which is wild.
That on top of having to fly on a 744 ... that is tragic.
LH food just simply sucks, period...
you really haven't flown UA coach recently then. No term permitted on FT could describe that experience ....
Old Feb 3, 2016, 2:19 am

Sure that is possible, I was talking food in coach and there UA is shameless, almost like their lounge offerings. 19th century prison style.
I flew a few domestic sectors in coach on UA, but bought the food (and craft beer, the brewery said to be owned by Smisek's nephew) - which was edible enough - and actually suited my tastes...

you really haven't flown UA coach recently then. No term permitted on FT could describe that experience ....
Did a few sectors domestically in the summer - not a bad experience - FAs (PMCO) were actually friendly - which surprised me.

In any case, would have really liked to have sampled the PE if this was going to be a down to the wire upgrade! Only benefit of the biz seat was that my daughter got to sleep for some part of the trip.

...flying LH over staying with UA (other than the better food, drinks, much better pilots, cooler crews, and cleaner seats) ...
Well, my seat in 11G was quite dirty and heavily worn - surprising in the fact that these biz seats are so new (given the 744s were the last to receive the fitting), but this seat must be a victim of high traffic, I would guess.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 6:27 am

I flew a few domestic sectors in coach on UA, but bought the food (and craft beer, the brewery said to be owned by Smisek's nephew) - which was edible enough - and actually suited my tastes...
I guess, I was too terse - I meant the free food served on intl. legs. I reckon the paid crackers ought to be ok.
Well, my seat in 11G was quite dirty and heavily worn - surprising in the fact that these biz seats are so new (given the 744s were the last to receive the fitting), but this seat must be a victim of high traffic, I would guess.
But that is Biz again whereas I was obsessing over coach. In Biz, UA is bearable as are most carriers, I ever rode on.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 1:08 am

Traveling with 2 kids on long haul flights (BOM-FRA & FRA-DEN) and trying to determine whether to book PE or E. In the past, always flown E and booked the middle row of 4 seats where kids can sleep after raising the arm rests. Never flown PE but after looking at photos, I don't think the arm rests can be raised. Are they good for kids ages 6 & 8?
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Redhat72
Traveling with 2 kids on long haul flights (BOM-FRA & FRA-DEN) and trying to determine whether to book PE or E. In the past, always flown E and booked the middle row of 4 seats where kids can sleep after raising the arm rests. Never flown PE but after looking at photos, I don't think the arm rests can be raised. Are they good for kids ages 6 & 8?
I don't think arm rests can be raised.

I would check loads in economy to see whether they are overselling the flight.

If the load is light, then book economy and possibly get more space - although this is very rare for LH now - who try to pack the back in any way possible...

The problem is now that as LH charges for advance seating on cheap fares, you really cannot guestimate the loads as we did earlier...
Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Redhat72
Arm rests cannot be raised in PE.

My opinion: Your kids wouldn't notice any difference in comfort between E and PE, and could even be less comfortable as they would have to sleep in a reclined sitting position, instead of lying across 2 seats. It would of course be more comfortable for you, but I would consider the row of 4 seats to be the better option (from a value/comfort perspective).
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: LX SEN
My experience in PE Feb 2016

PE is MUCH better than Y, however, not even close in comparison with J.

I flew roundtrip FRA-ORD about two weeks ago. Both times I had 21K, it was an exit row seat with generous legroom. I find the seat is wide enough and very comfortable by itself. However, I found the tray table to be too low to comfortable work on. My neck got really sore by the middle of the flight. In my return, I tried to fall asleep as early as possible, then it felt better. PE is definitely a step up, the extra recline would boost sleep quality. But if I ever fly PE again, I would think of my needs before I book the exit row seat.

The food option was...... I bought a cabana sandwich in my return to not have their meals. The portion was too small and the taste was... not very good. Maybe we got better dessert, but the main entree was identical to Y. The snack before landing was also lackluster. I felt better served in the SEN lounge.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Here's a hack for next time: ask for an extra pillow, and put your laptop on that. If you're worried about the laptop's temperature, put a magazine under the laptop.

Originally Posted by loveairborne
PE is MUCH better than Y, however, not even close in comparison with J.

I flew roundtrip FRA-ORD about two weeks ago. Both times I had 21K, it was an exit row seat with generous legroom. I find the seat is wide enough and very comfortable by itself. However, I found the tray table to be too low to comfortable work on. My neck got really sore by the middle of the flight. In my return, I tried to fall asleep as early as possible, then it felt better. PE is definitely a step up, the extra recline would boost sleep quality. But if I ever fly PE again, I would think of my needs before I book the exit row seat.

The food option was...... I bought a cabana sandwich in my return to not have their meals. The portion was too small and the taste was... not very good. Maybe we got better dessert, but the main entree was identical to Y. The snack before landing was also lackluster. I felt better served in the SEN lounge.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:52 am

Programs: LX SEN
Great tips, thank you jawnbc!!!
Old May 9, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Flying Club, British Airways Executive Club, United Mileage Plus
Lufthansa A340-600 Premium Economy Which seat?

I'm flying from Beijing to Munich on an A340-600 as a solo passenger currently almost every seat in PE is showing as available.

I'm thinking of a window seat. According to www.lufthansa.com/uk/en/Seat_maps_A340-600 rows 25 & 26 in PE don't have many windows, so I'm thinking of rows, 22 (Bulkhead), 23 or 24.

My only concern with a bulkhead seat is the IFE screen.
  • Is it on the bulkhead itself or does it fold out
  • If it's on the bulkhead is it quite far away?
  • I'm sure I've read somewhere that the bulkhead IFE screen is slightly smaller than other seats. Does this make a difference?
Old May 9, 2016, 3:45 pm

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by Rehnn
I'm flying from Beijing to Munich on an A340-600 as a solo passenger currently almost every seat in PE is showing as available.

I'm thinking of a window seat. According to www.lufthansa.com/uk/en/Seat_maps_A340-600 rows 25 & 26 in PE don't have many windows, so I'm thinking of rows, 22 (Bulkhead), 23 or 24.

My only concern with a bulkhead seat is the IFE screen.
  • Is it on the bulkhead itself or does it fold out
  • If it's on the bulkhead is it quite far away?
  • I'm sure I've read somewhere that the bulkhead IFE screen is slightly smaller than other seats. Does this make a difference?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Rehnn!

Don't let the seat map sketches fool you. The row you want in PE on a 346 is the one at the wing exit (Row 25 or 26, depending on the specific configuration). There are windows at those seats, as well as plenty of leg room. The bulkhead seat IFE screens fold out. My impression is that the fold-out screens are a little smaller, but I am not sure it is a big deal.

Peculiar to the A340: If you have no seat partner at the wing exit (I place a little but not much stock in the myth of SEN seat-blocking ), the crew will move someone to sit next to you during takeoff and landing, as they want two able-bodied people on-station who can operate the door in an emergency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.