Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Doctor on Board program and courses

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2006, 10:23 am
Original Poster

More miles for doctors travelling on LH

New at Lufthansa:

If you identify yorself as a doctor before the flight, you will get extra miles.
Old Sep 30, 2006, 1:48 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
Originally Posted by Meilensammler
New at Lufthansa:

If you identify yorself as a doctor before the flight, you will get extra miles.
Could you please give a source for that? I have many doctors in my family (wife, mother in law, brother in law).
Old Sep 30, 2006, 2:15 pm

Programs: LH FTL
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Could you please give a source for that? I have many doctors in my family (wife, mother in law, brother in law).
It´s on the BILD Website www.bild.de (german yellow press (tabloid)) - german only, sorry

Samstag, 30. September 2006, 17:34 UhrLufthansa: Bonusprogramm für Ärzte
Auf Flügen der Deutschen Lufthansa sollen künftig mehr Ärzte mitreisen. Mit diesem Ziel stellte das Flugunternehmen jetzt in Wiesbaden ein neuartiges Bonusprogramm für Ärzte vor. Die Mediziner erhalten zusätzliche Bonus-Meilen, wenn sie sich vor Flugantritt mit Angabe ihrer Fachrichtung registrieren lassen. Diese Daten sind dann der Besatzung zugänglich.

Last edited by McKaye; Sep 30, 2006 at 2:24 pm
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:33 am

Programs: LH FTL
In all seriousness...

How about dentists, as they are 'Ärzte' as well???

Anybody verified that through LH allready, since it has been written in the BILD
Old Oct 2, 2006, 4:47 am
ksu

Programs: SAS EBD/ *G
Originally Posted by larsll
Nope... "Bonusprogramm für Ärzte" means bonus program for medical doctors. Actually I guess in Germany it is like in Norway, where you first become an Arzt and then you can go on and study more and become Dr. Arzt. I would naturally suggest an executive bonus for those with a true doctor-title.

Now, drunk doctors performing emergency surgery... makes me think of M*A*S*H.
Correct: in most European countries the degree required to practise medicine is not a doctorate but the degree of candidate. I am a Norwegian physician, and my degree from the University of Trondheim (not NTNU!!!!) is candidatus medicinć (cand. med.); a six year program. The degree of doctor medicinć is gradually being replaced here with the degree of Ph.D: both are degrees for research, and have nothing to do with the holder's clinical competence or lack of such.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 5:33 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
This is a common translation problem. In German Doctor/Dr. is a synonymon for the Ph.D. Degree.
As all over the world you can get it many univesity subjects.

The Dr.med. in Germany is - compared to other Ph.D. Degrees - quite easy. So there are not many Doctors without Ph.D. Degree.

When you pass your final Examen (3. Staatsexamen) in Medicine you
are allowed to work as a "Arzt" (Medical Doctor), but you have no Ph.D. Degree.
So "Arzt" is a Profession and not a title!

Most Doctors I know do their Ph.D. only a few years after graduating.
Then you are allowed to call yourself Dr. XXX.
You can be "Arzt" but have no Dr/PhD.

As most "Ärzte" have Ph.D degree the "Doctor" in German is commonly used as a synonymon for "Medical Doctor".

So "Arzt" translates into "Doctor" and Ph.D (in any subject) into "Doctor" as well.

In languages it is easier:
Italian: Dottore = Ph.D; Medico = Doctor!
(Coreect me if I am wrong!)

In some countries you finish your medical studies wiht a Ph.D. Degree so the difference is not important. In Germany (and some outher countries) you have to write a seperate thesis.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:28 am

Programs: AA 0.4MM, BA G, LH SEN,TK S, HH Dia, Sixt Plat, Hertz Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Tyrolean
This is a common translation problem. In German Doctor/Dr. is a synonymon for the Ph.D. Degree.
As all over the world you can get it many univesity subjects.

The Dr.med. in Germany is - compared to other Ph.D. Degrees - quite easy. So there are not many Doctors without Ph.D. Degree.

When you pass your final Examen (3. Staatsexamen) in Medicine you
are allowed to work as a "Arzt" (Medical Doctor), but you have no Ph.D. Degree.
So "Arzt" is a Profession and not a title!

Most Doctors I know do their Ph.D. only a few years after graduating.
Then you are allowed to call yourself Dr. XXX.
You can be "Arzt" but have no Dr/PhD.

As most "Ärzte" have Ph.D degree the "Doctor" in German is commonly used as a synonymon for "Medical Doctor".

So "Arzt" translates into "Doctor" and Ph.D (in any subject) into "Doctor" as well.

In languages it is easier:
Italian: Dottore = Ph.D; Medico = Doctor!
(Coreect me if I am wrong!)

In some countries you finish your medical studies wiht a Ph.D. Degree so the difference is not important. In Germany (and some outher countries) you have to write a seperate thesis.

Kind of!

In italian you can say: "Vado dal dottore" or "Vado dal medico";whichever you choose,people will think you are going to a medical doctor.

You don't need a PH.D to be called "dottore".I graduated in law,so my degree is an equivalent of a J.D.And I'm a doctor in law. To have a Ph.D I would have to study longer and do a "dottorato". I took the short way and I did an LLM program!
Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:30 am

Programs: IB Plat - Hilton Gold - Marriott Gold - IHG Ambassador
Well. This is great news.
I posted some time ago my experience during an in-flight emergency and what happened later.
But extra miles? Wow....how many, when, how, do you have to be German? Or show your local "medical doctor id"???

Old Oct 2, 2006, 8:41 am

Originally Posted by chejus
... extra miles? Wow....how many, when, how ...
for registering at check-in: 5,000 award miles
after an emergency: 35,000 award miles on top
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:04 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
Originally Posted by A380-SQ
for registering at check-in: 5,000 award miles
after an emergency: 35,000 award miles on top
5,000 miles also for an T-class intra German flight?

SmilingBoy.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: Amanjunkie
I'm an MD and have several flights on LH and LX coming up in the next two weeks. I 'll try to register and report back how it goes.

Is it 5000 miles each time you check in or just once ?
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:27 am

Programs: LH FTL (*S), AA, Sixt Plat, bahn.comfort
http://www.aero.de/news.php?varnewsid=1214
5000 per flight
up to 35000 after an emergency

GK1998, I don't think it will work in the next week. LH jsut has presented the new bonusprogram, I suppose, it will take some time to start it.

I hope they give out at least half of the miles for emergency medical technician, which I have learned years ago. And I'm for sure still better in emergency situations than many MD's (thinking of dermatologists, family doctors etc. which I have met during my civilian service). But that's probably just a dream...
Old Oct 2, 2006, 10:47 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
Well, my M&M account has always been DR. LHSEN from day one (since almost 10 years) and so were most (if not all) of my boarding passes ... maybe I should start retro claim all my missing bonus ...
Old Oct 2, 2006, 12:57 pm

Programs: SEN
Originally Posted by LHSEN
Well, my M&M account has always been DR. LHSEN from day one (since almost 10 years) and so were most (if not all) of my boarding passes ... maybe I should start retro claim all my missing bonus ...
I am travelling quite frequently on Lh in C, but just once had the experience that the Purserette asked if I were a physician and which were my especiality. Then asked me kindly that the staff could contact me if any emergency occurs. But all that was leaving me without any compensation, although I think that there is a notice in my profile, because I always was treated some kind of special. So I am supporting this effort of LH and I think it is a very good idea. At least I get some miles now.
Old Oct 2, 2006, 1:58 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
My grandpa is a doctor and he was told several years ago not to show that he is a doctor in the case of an emergenc especially on flights to/from the U.S. because if he can't help cause in case of missing equipment, medicine or even if there's no chance to save the patient's life, somebody will always try to get some money out of it and go to court...

He always said that he will do in any case but I don't know whether LH "insures" the doctor whether he can't help or he's doing a fault...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.