Equipment change problems

Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K

I initially posted this in the LH Lurker section, not sure if it belonged there......

A little while back, I booked a OSL-SEA return trip in July using the direct FRA-SEA flight both ways. My intention was to book, at least, the outbound in First. However, the aircraft shown at the time of booking was a new config 747-400. I was OK with that, as the new C-seats are really nice, so I went ahead and booked in P-class. Now, the aircraft shown is back to an old config. I tried to call reservations explaining the problem, and asking if I could upgrade the outbound to an A-fare and pay a fare difference. It was like talking to a machine, stating that since the OSL-FRA flight does not have have First Class available (of course it doesen't.....) and the OSL-FRA and FRA-SEA were married segments, it was not possible. When telling her that the whole problem had surfaced due to an equipment change, that I had no way booing in First, and that First Class flights form anywhere but First Class hubs neccessarily has a C-segment, I just got the same machine-like answer back. Also, when I checked again today, the fare in C has dropped considerably, I'm pretty sure due to the change back to the old aircraft with the inferior seats.

At this point, I feel rather disappointed. Any suggestions how I could reach someone who I could actually discuss the situation with, not just someone reading rules off of a computer screen?

Kind regards,

Thore
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Thore T
Also, when I checked again today, the fare in C has dropped considerably, I'm pretty sure due to the change back to the old aircraft with the inferior seats.
Thore, dynamic pricing is subject to various factors, however not necessarily to the production number of premium seats...

At this point, I feel rather disappointed. Any suggestions how I could reach someone who I could actually discuss the situation with, not just someone reading rules off of a computer screen?

Kind regards,

Thore
What about cancelling the original reservation (travel insurance...?) and rebooking the whole itinerary?

Word on the street, fares from certain Scandinavian markets to the US in F are pretty low at the moment.

Dealing with airlines these days is utterly frustrating, so do not expect anyone to be able to go the extra mile. They are simply often also not trained well enough, so even if they would be willing, they lack the competence or the system does not allow them to do so.

Just recently, it took me more than four hours and roughly a dozen different call center agents to get up to somebody old and experienced enough to make a change to a booking, which was scr**** up by an alliance partner.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Thank you FD1971. I can't see any way to cancel the original itinerary, as it was booked in P, and travel insurance would not cover a planned cancelleation, so I'll just have to try and call them again and hope for a person with a bit more helpfulness and insight. Think I might try and call the ticket office in FRA instead of the usual call centre. When spending money on premium cabin tickets, and the product is deteriorated after making the booking, I'd expect the carrier to be somewhat flexible in accomodating an alternative solution, at least when I'm willing to pay a fare difference for an upgrade. Oh well.....
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:14 am

Isn't SEA supposed to lose F service anyway from 30th June 2015?

http://airlineroute.net/2014/10/09/lh-s15update1/

So after that date either
a) you will have a 744 with F seats on the upper deck which are sold as J. You should have a chance to either pick out of the F seats on the upper deck then as a UA elite.
b) or you will have an aircraft with the whole new product anyway as their whole 744 fleet is undergoing the retrofit right now.

So any action from you side now might be a bit overhasty...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 12:10 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FollowTheSun
Isn't SEA supposed to lose F service anyway from 30th June 2015?

http://airlineroute.net/2014/10/09/lh-s15update1/

So after that date either
a) you will have a 744 with F seats on the upper deck which are sold as J. You should have a chance to either pick out of the F seats on the upper deck then as a UA elite.
b) or you will have an aircraft with the whole new product anyway as their whole 744 fleet is undergoing the retrofit right now.

So any action from you side now might be a bit overhasty...
I hope it's alright if I tack my own question on to this thread, as it relates closely to this point above.

My wife and I are booked in F on SEA-FRA in July. Despite the announcement about F being discontinued on 6/30, our seat map still shows the 744 F cabin.

Should I be worried? Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? If, indeed, I'll be downgraded, does this give me any leverage to ask LH to open up space on SFO-FRA or LAX-FRA?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: LH HON

SEA is now supposed to keep F till August 1st
Old Dec 30, 2014, 1:30 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Ah, that solves that mystery. Thanks!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
A little while back, I booked a OSL-SEA return trip in July using the direct FRA-SEA flight both ways. My intention was to book, at least, the outbound in First. However, the aircraft shown at the time of booking was a new config 747-400. I was OK with that, as the new C-seats are really nice, so I went ahead and booked in P-class. Now, the aircraft shown is back to an old config. I tried to call reservations explaining the problem, and asking if I could upgrade the outbound to an A-fare and pay a fare difference. It was like talking to a machine, stating that since the OSL-FRA flight does not have have First Class available (of course it doesen't.....) and the OSL-FRA and FRA-SEA were married segments, it was not possible. When telling her that the whole problem had surfaced due to an equipment change, that I had no way booing in First, and that First Class flights form anywhere but First Class hubs neccessarily has a C-segment, I just got the same machine-like answer back. Also, when I checked again today, the fare in C has dropped considerably, I'm pretty sure due to the change back to the old aircraft with the inferior seats.
Come on... Do you think LH is stupid?

There just pops up a cheap first class fare ex OSL (bookable in A-cl) and you just remember that you want to upgrade your nonref/nochangeable P-cl fare into F-cl at the same time...? Come on...Don't lie on us, just tell us the truth!!!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 12:35 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Come on... Do you think LH is stupid?

There just pops up a cheap first class fare ex OSL (bookable in A-cl) and you just remember that you want to upgrade your nonref/nochangeable P-cl fare into F-cl at the same time...? Come on...Don't lie on us, just tell us the truth!!!
Come on... reading the details of the original post as well as the final resolution provided by LH would prevent such posts.

HTB.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by daumueller
SEA is now supposed to keep F till August 1st
Thanks! Missed that change.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.