GVA Self-Bag-Drop. Really?

Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Disillusioned Cent
GVA Self-Bag-Drop. Really?

The official website of GVA Airport says that you can drop your bag at counters 77, 78 & 79 but my experience from yesterday suggests otherwise. I had already OLCI'd (LX) and wanted to drop my bag at said counters, but I was told that even so I had to wait in the general "Web Check-in / bag drop" line which was quite long. Am I missing something here?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by JohnRain
The official website of GVA Airport says that you can drop your bag at counters 77, 78 & 79 but my experience from yesterday suggests otherwise. I had already OLCI'd (LX) and wanted to drop my bag at said counters, but I was told that even so I had to wait in the general "Web Check-in / bag drop" line which was quite long. Am I missing something here?
You absolutely miss something: You say you OLCI'd, which translates into you "Web Checked-in and you wanted to drop your bag". So, you were sent to the correct counters. They may have had a long line waiting, this is because there were many people in your situation. No problem therefore!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:36 am

Programs: LH (SEN), IHG (Plat Amb)
To me it is also not very clear what your problem is exactly. Do you mean that you went to the (less busy?) normal check-in counters, for people that have not checked-in yet and you were sent away? My experience is that you can also check your bag at those counters even when OLCI'd.

But I know at GVA for some reason they are very difficult and strict with this. I have even been sent away from the First class / *G check in desk, because I had checked in online. I had to give a very nasty answer for the women to take my bag finally.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
You absolutely miss something: You say you OLCI'd, which translates into you "Web Checked-in and you wanted to drop your bag". So, you were sent to the correct counters. They may have had a long line waiting, this is because there were many people in your situation. No problem therefore!
Maybe my post wasn't clear enough: what I meant to say is that the "Web Check-In / Bag Drop" Line is THE general line for all passengers, there is no other (except of course J/F). What's the point of checking in online if you have to queue with all other passengers who didn't? At all other airports I know the Bag Drop-Off counter is never crowded, if it weren't so it would be pretty pointless to have those counters in the first place.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:42 am

Maybe my post wasn't clear enough: what I meant to say is that the "Web Check-In / Bag Drop" Line is THE general line for all passengers, there is no other (except of course J/F). What's the point of checking in online if you have to queue with all other passengers who didn't? At all other airports I know the Bag Drop-Off counter is never crowded, if it weren't so it would be pretty pointless to have those counters in the first place.
You mean to say you can no longer check-in at the airport? You absolutely have to have done OLCI, otherwise no counter? Or are there CI machines for those passengers?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLouis
You mean to say you can no longer check-in at the airport? You absolutely have to have done OLCI, otherwise no counter? Or are there CI machines for those passengers?
What I meant is that basically there are only two lines: one for J/F/*G and another one for the rest. They call this other line "Web Check-in / Bag Drop-off" but it is for ALL passengers, regardless of whether you OLCI'd or not and of course it usually is very crowded. This is in stark contrast to what the official airport website says, ie counters 77, 78 & 79 for Bag Drop-off ONLY. When you try (as I did) to go to one of those three counters directly they send you away and tell you that you must queue in the general line.

Last edited by JohnRain; Dec 17, 2014 at 2:56 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:13 am

Programs: Miles and More
It certainly was not like that when I was there a few weeks ago. You could go to these machines directly and there was a separate line of people in front of them. You must have your BP printed (either from OLCI or from another CI machine) to use them.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexanderrr
It certainly was not like that when I was there a few weeks ago. You could go to these machines directly and there was a separate line of people in front of them. You must have your BP printed (either from OLCI or from another CI machine) to use them.
That's good to hear, thanks for your input. By "machine" I assume you mean the machines that print your luggage tag? Were the counters manned ? How long did you have to wait?

EDIT: I guess you mean the "Scan & Fly" counters. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlGtHI7jGP4
This is exactly what I was looking for in the first place, no idea why I wasn't allowed to use them yesterday.

Last edited by JohnRain; Dec 17, 2014 at 6:48 am
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:04 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
It definitely make sense!
Either you check-online or via the web/mobile OR you check in at one of the machines at the airport.

With either the online boarding pass or the printed BP of the machine, you go to the drop off counter.

So, you have to check in before using the counter. Either at the airport or online.
That's the reason why you only have these counters.
W/o BP they will send you back to the machines.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:38 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I haven't been in GVA, but I never print my boarding pass when checking in on-line (once a CI agent chuckled when I told him "to do that I would have to switch on my printer").

So I always show up at the counter as if I were to check in regularly. I usually just get asked if I need a boarding pass.

I'd be surprised if they sent me away at that point -- but I think in GVA they just don't want to work. Or they are afraid to loose their job if too many people check in online, thus they discourage you from doing so by sending you to the longer queue as a penalty.

HTB.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Andie007
With either the online boarding pass or the printed BP of the machine, you go to the drop off counter.

So, you have to check in before using the counter. Either at the airport or online.
That's the reason why you only have these counters.
W/o BP they will send you back to the machines.
I was checked-in before walking to the counters, but they still wouldn't let me use them, that's what puzzled me (and subsequently made me lose 30 minutes in a queue)

Originally Posted by htb
So I always show up at the counter as if I were to check in regularly. I usually just get asked if I need a boarding pass.

I'd be surprised if they sent me away at that point -- but I think in GVA they just don't want to work. Or they are afraid to loose their job if too many people check in online, thus they discourage you from doing so by sending you to the longer queue as a penalty.

HTB.
Showing up at the counter is precisely what I want to avoid, as there will be long queues in front of them (I'm traveling tomorrow and in GVA the Christmas holidays start...tomorrow). That's why I started this thread, to hear about the experience of others when using the bag-drop facility in GVA. I need this facility to work tomorrow, as otherwise I'll lose 30 minutes again (or more)
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: Miles and More
Yes, the self check in machines as shown in this video are those that I have used to check in my bag. Who are 'they' not allowing you to use these machines? Other pax or airport staff? Just try to explain more clearly and I hope you would not need to stay in another line. That being sad, I am not so convinced that line to these machines moves much faster
Old Dec 18, 2014, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alexanderrr
Yes, the self check in machines as shown in this video are those that I have used to check in my bag. Who are 'they' not allowing you to use these machines? Other pax or airport staff? Just try to explain more clearly and I hope you would not need to stay in another line. That being sad, I am not so convinced that line to these machines moves much faster
Airport staff wouldn't let me use the machines, for whatever reason.
Let's hope that tomorrow it will work.
You don't seem to be convinced by those machines, how long did you have to wait?
Old Dec 18, 2014, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..What's the point of checking in online if you have to queue with all other passengers who didn't?..
There isn't any. And this is why I generally don't do it.

You also get ugly boarding passes which you cannot collect or worse, mobile boarding passes which will be buggered up the moment you need them.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Quick update: the check-in procedure at GVA today was the fastest and most efficient I ever experienced. I used the Scan & Fly counters with my mobile boarding pass to check my luggage which took me all of three minutes, used the Priority Lane with the access voucher I had purchased before for 8 CHF and was in the lounge 12 minutes after having left the cab curbside. That's a new personal record. It obviously helped that the airport wasn't terribly crowded yet, but I thought that it was still worth reporting back.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.