Community
Wiki Posts
Search

M&M: Redeem award miles for status miles/QP?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2009, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, M&M Frequent Traveller, HHonors Gold, Virgin Silver
M&M: Redeem award miles for status miles/QP?

Hi,

I received an email from M&M this week offering to let me exchange award miles for status miles.

When you click the link in the email you get the following options:

I would like to acquire 1,000 status miles in exchange for 2,000 award miles.
I would like to acquire 2,500 status miles in exchange for 5,000 award miles.
I would like to acquire 5,000 status miles in exchange for 10,000 award miles.
I would like to acquire 7,500 status miles in exchange for 15,000 award miles.

I need 2600 status miles to reach Frequent Traveller status. Does anyone know whether I can take the first option 3 times, thus getting 3000 status miles for 6000 award miles, or can you only use this promotion once??? If I can only use it once then i'll have to get 5000 status miles for 10000 award miles, which seems like a waste of award miles to me.

I emailed M&M with the same question but haven't heard anything yet.... Has anyone else received this promotion? Can it be used multiple times?
Old Dec 19, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
You'll never know. If they assign the levels individually, they definitely want to screw you :-)

I certainly understand that they would not just allow you to trade 2600/5200 miles but ...

Which status level is that for? I still like the idea of this promotion though
Old Dec 19, 2009, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Rewards Gold, M&M Frequent Traveller, HHonors Gold, Virgin Silver
It's to take me from 'member' to 'frequent traveller'. I don't fly star Alliance very often (say 4 or 5 return trips a year) but lounge access would be nice for the times that I do. I'd say it's worth blowing 6000 award miles on (especially as the status will last 2 years) but is it worth blowing 10000 miles on??????
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:06 pm

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
2 years of status for 10 000 is very good deal IMHO, because it is still less than the European promo award. And next 2 years, thanks to earning 25% more as FLT you would earn it quickly back. Plus also extra luggage allowance.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: LH, AB, SPG, CC, Sixt, EC
Originally Posted by banjokazoie
It's to take me from 'member' to 'frequent traveller'. I don't fly star Alliance very often (say 4 or 5 return trips a year) but lounge access would be nice for the times that I do. I'd say it's worth blowing 6000 award miles on (especially as the status will last 2 years) but is it worth blowing 10000 miles on??????
Depends on your "airports". Be aware that there are not a whole lot of FTL lounges or lounges where FTL have access outside of Germany.

Are your trips longhoul? To the US? You will also profit from free second bag.

10K is probably worth it for two years...
Old Dec 19, 2009, 2:12 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
I'd say it's worth blowing 6000 award miles on (especially as the status will last 2 years) but is it worth blowing 10000 miles on??????
It looks like you have already answered your own question, but if you haven't done so already you may want to check the list of FTL privileges in the sticky.

If you fly on M&M integrated or North American based *A airlines as FTL, you will earn 25% executive bonus which should offset some or all of the 4000 miles. Also if you check baggage you will get extra or free baggage allowance depending on the airline.

If lounge access is your main reason for qualifying as FTL, you should know that FTL only has access to LH, LX, OS and LO Business Lounges plus a small selection of others list of which may be found here (scroll to the end of the page) and in the sticky mentioned above. If you fly from or connect at some of the airports listed then two years' lounge access may be worth 10000 miles.
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:08 pm

Hi,

I received an email from M&M this week offering to let me exchange award miles for status miles.

When you click the link in the email you get the following options:

I would like to acquire 1,000 status miles in exchange for 2,000 award miles.
I would like to acquire 2,500 status miles in exchange for 5,000 award miles.
I would like to acquire 5,000 status miles in exchange for 10,000 award miles.
I would like to acquire 7,500 status miles in exchange for 15,000 award miles.

I need 2600 status miles to reach Frequent Traveller status. Does anyone know whether I can take the first option 3 times, thus getting 3000 status miles for 6000 award miles, or can you only use this promotion once??? If I can only use it once then i'll have to get 5000 status miles for 10000 award miles, which seems like a waste of award miles to me.

I emailed M&M with the same question but haven't heard anything yet.... Has anyone else received this promotion? Can it be used multiple times?

This is a really smart promotion. Well done, LH!
Old Dec 19, 2009, 10:49 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QR G, A3 G, EK G, IHG Amb, GHA Black, WOH LT something
i wished they offered it the other way around also, status to award...
but M&M is certainly not diamond club!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:08 am

Programs: LH HON
Originally Posted by synd
i wished they offered it the other way around also, status to award...
but M&M is certainly not diamond club!
That would be nice indeed. Have a lot of Status and even HON Circle miles to exchange. Extra F awards
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:52 am

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Any Link for that promo ?
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by TheAirman
Any Link for that promo ?
Yes, please provide us with the link.

That could come in handy in two years from now!
Old Dec 20, 2009, 10:35 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

This seems to be targeted and I don't think there's a link one can post.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
This seems to be targeted and I don't think there's a link one can post.
You got it too?

Being targeted doesn't mean that everyone can use it .
Old Dec 20, 2009, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by weero
You got it too?

Being targeted doesn't mean that everyone can use it .
No, I requalified last year (and could have done again this year - even if I lived in Germany ) but some FTers have reported in other threads that they had received an email invitation.

I thought you were looking forward to becoming a proud ex-SEN.
Old Dec 20, 2009, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
..I thought you were looking forward to becoming a proud ex-SEN.
I am!

But first I need to burn 1400 kilomiles in companion awards. So I strongly hope that this will be the last time, I have to qualify for SENdom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.