Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa 'MyOffer' by Plusgrade [bidding for upgrade to PE, C & F]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
You miss that they want to keep the price high and don't want to give away seats at any price. Short term revenue might kill long term aims.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:39 am
gby

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You miss that they want to keep the price high and don't want to give away seats at any price. Short term revenue might kill long term aims.
What you say would completely made sense except one thing - LH set the minimum bid allowed. What is the point to set the minimum bid to a lower point than you are willing to accept?

Again, I get keeping premium well, ... premium, but what is the point to limit the customer from bidding too low but than not accepting the minimum bid that you yourself allowed?

No complaints, just curious.

My only explanation is that they use it as a tool to judge how much people would be willing to pay regardless of their will to accept said price - but if so:

1. Why put a floor on the bid if you're not going to accept too low ones anyway?
2. It's a little bit misleading the customer as it is presented.

Last edited by gby; Dec 28, 2015 at 12:42 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 28, 2015, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Like on ebay. A seller starts with a low price but has a price limit not disclosed. Next time you will have learned and will start with a higher bid, you have communicated in this forum, that the minimum bid might not work and everybody will learn. So even if they were to acct the minimum bid, they can expect higher bids. Mission accomplished.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:19 am
gby

Well, at least in my specific case it did not work as planned. I have learned that the myOffer bid is an opaque and none rational based procedure so will not participate in the future.

I understand selling off excess stock at a bid, I understand setting a lowest price floor to keep premium product premium. These are rational transparent rules that makes sense.

I don't understand the rules LH is playing under. They are no transparent and so I cannot understand the terms of the deal I am being offered and so will not participate.

No harm done. It's just not how *I* do business.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:28 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by gby
What you say would completely made sense except one thing - LH set the minimum bid allowed. What is the point to set the minimum bid to a lower point than you are willing to accept?
They will accept any bid it if they otherwise have to upgrade someone for free. This wasn't the case here. Therefore they only accept bids that won't dilute the product.

HTB.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 1:53 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
3. There were multiple empty seats on P
Its called yield management. LH does not want to give away the PE seats for little money, otherwise, no one will book them in advance.

THe flight was 33% full, including Premium economy.
With such load factors, its a much better deal to stretch out over four seats in Economy for free. Many 4-seat middle rows will stay empty. You just need to catch one shortly before BOARDING COMPLETED is announced.

(save for the food in the China Air lounge in PVG)
The food is not so bad at this lounge. However, hot food options are only offered during traditional meal times. I assume after 8pm there was no traditional meal time.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:14 am

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
I guess that, like in any auction, there is a minimum bid (often but not always public) to even start the auction and then there is a reserve (most often not revealed). If the reserve is not reached, auction is off (and often there is direct negotiation between the parties).
Old Dec 28, 2015, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Like on ebay. A seller starts with a low price but has a price limit not disclosed. Next time you will have learned and will start with a higher bid, you have communicated in this forum, that the minimum bid might not work and everybody will learn. So even if they were to acct the minimum bid, they can expect higher bids. Mission accomplished.
Or they discourage people from even trying to bid. Just like ebay reserve pricing.

Originally Posted by warakorn
With such load factors, its a much better deal to stretch out over four seats in Economy for free. Many 4-seat middle rows will stay empty. You just need to catch one shortly before BOARDING COMPLETED is announced.
For the pax sure. But I don't think LH had that in mind when rejecting the bid.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 5:04 am
Suspended

Just an observation I make quite often:
It's kind of funny that some passengers try to score upgrades. At the same times the same people are sitting in the forward Economy section with some stranger in the next seat to them - while there are many free unoccupied rows in the aft economy section.

I mean if you score a free seat next to you (not too hard to get if the Y cabin is filled only 80%), there is no really good reason to fork over loads of money for premium economy.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 7:18 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Lack
Or they discourage people from even trying to bid. Just like ebay reserve pricing...
Yup.

My best guess would be: terminally sh###y IT which requires human approval at the station and no one chez PVG can be buggered to get involved with such trivial and vulgar things as customer service.

I failed confirmed ugs at that station because the GAs can't be bothered to print a new BP.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:29 am
gby

Thumbs up

Just an observation I make quite often:
It's kind of funny that some passengers try to score upgrades. At the same times the same people are sitting in the forward Economy section with some stranger in the next seat to them - while there are many free unoccupied rows in the aft economy section.

I mean if you score a free seat next to you (not too hard to get if the Y cabin is filled only 80%), there is no really good reason to fork over loads of money for premium economy.
Yes and this is exactly what I did. In fact, I was even somewhat glad that my upgrade did not go through (i thought the flight will not be full, I did not anticipate it being so empty).

It was the process that I was curious about.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 2:43 am
Suspended

Of course, airlines would never allow it, but it would be really cool to know in advance (even if it is only 24 hour before), how full a flight (esp. longhaul) will be.
Online seatmaps and prices are often not a very good indicator. Sometimes I paid a very high price to fly in am empty plane. Sometimes I paid a very low price to fly in a full plane. Therefore, it is impossible to predict loads.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:46 am

Programs: LH Senator ★
I wish there was an actually bidding process, where if we bid $5000, $3000, $1000 for upgrade and there are two seats available, lufthansa will bill us $1100+$1100 and not $5000+$3000.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Of course, airlines would never allow it, but it would be really cool to know in advance (even if it is only 24 hour before), how full a flight (esp. longhaul) will be.
Online seatmaps and prices are often not a very good indicator. Sometimes I paid a very high price to fly in am empty plane. Sometimes I paid a very low price to fly in a full plane. Therefore, it is impossible to predict loads.
For an amateur, it is indeed almost impossible to predict how full a flight will be.

For a pro it is easier, calling certain phone numbers might also help...

As pointed out so often, LH is admired in the industry for many things, their booking prediction approach is certainly one factor. It is almost too good to be true how accurate they are.

BTW, do not fall for the usual mistake, how full a flight will be is only one (minor) indicator how much you have to pay for a ticket.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 6:47 am

The amount you bid is not the only factor, it is also status, fare paid, time of bid, and likely a bunch of other factors.

No-one can tell you what the secret is to winning a bid but a rule of thumb I've heard is to bid around 30/40% of the difference in fare between the two classes divided by two. E.g. if you paid $1200 for economy and the PE seats are $2400 the minimum would be 3000-1200/2*0.3/0.4=$270-360.

Though in reality - who knows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.