Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I entitled to compensation? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No - you refused a perfectly valid itinerary that would have gotten you to TRN with less than 3 hours delay.
athome likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
No - you refused a perfectly valid itinerary that would have gotten you to TRN with less than 3 hours delay.
6PM arrival in Milan, give it (at least) 15 minutes to get off the plane, locate the bus and leave the airport, I genuinely doubt the OP will have made it to Turin by 20:15 (mostly considering traffic at that time of the day...). Moreover, we don't know whether the OP eventually went for the Milan plus bus option or Lufthansa via Munich.

G
Lefly likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Thank you all.
1. opted for LH via MUC
2. arrived TRN at 23:05
3. I agree with the opinion that arriving LIN at 18, disembark, understand what to do about checked luggage and find the bus, PLUS the rush hour time, apart from being a huge P.I.T.A. wouldn't have me in TRN before 20.15...
I'll try to claim and see what happens.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The issue is here that most likely a note was made in reservation that the OP rejected to fly to LIN arriving at 18h - then SN couldn't care less for any hypothetical explanation from the OP that it would have been impossible to reach TRN within 2:15h - the OP never even tried it.
athome likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by SK AAR
The issue is here that most likely a note was made in reservation that the OP rejected to fly to LIN arriving at 18h - then SN couldn't care less for any hypothetical explanation from the OP that it would have been impossible to reach TRN within 2:15h - the OP never even tried it.
One could possibly argue that landing at an airport ~200km from the original destination is already an inconvenience by itself, especially with checked baggage. Given the circumstances, the OP went for the most 'comfortable' alternative and could stress (in case) that she would have had to collect luggage, make her way to the bus station and so on (unless SN had plans to arrange a car service from aircraft to bus station with relative 'VIP baggage handling', which I somewhat doubt was going to be the case ) . @Lefly please keep us posted, it will be interesting to see what SN comes up with in such scenario (and good luck, needless to say).

G
chris63 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
One could argue many things about likely outcomes and OP was free to reject the first offering. But, the fact is that he did and opted for a later option with a later arrival. Thus, no compensation under the Regulation as it is a binary calculation.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:49 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Just for information, LIN + bus ( apparently bus organized by SN) and LH via MUC were offered at the same time, together with AZ via FCO. I choose the 2nd because with 2 big suitcases I really didn't want to manage a bus transfer.
I would be however curious to know what time this bus arrived TRN and who "registered" it.
I will enquire with SN and post any outcome.

p.s. I am a "she"
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by chris63

I would doubt that, why should the OP have to accept a flight to a different destination from the original & which involved
other transport ?
Where it is written that an airline has to fly you to the destination, if there is an issue with the originally booked flight? An airline may propose you to be transported by a taxi, if regarded as the most efficient way to get to your destination.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by AlicorporateUK
One could possibly argue that landing at an airport ~200km from the original destination is already an inconvenience by itself, especially with checked baggage. Given the circumstances, the OP went for the most 'comfortable' alternative and could stress (in case) that she would have had to collect luggage, make her way to the bus station and so on (unless SN had plans to arrange a car service from aircraft to bus station with relative 'VIP baggage handling', which I somewhat doubt was going to be the case ) . @Lefly please keep us posted, it will be interesting to see what SN comes up with in such scenario (and good luck, needless to say).

G
Absolutely, totally unreasonable to expect the OP to go to another airport so far away, I would have done as the OP did.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by athome
Where it is written that an airline has to fly you to the destination, if there is an issue with the originally booked flight? An airline may propose you to be transported by a taxi, if regarded as the most efficient way to get to your destination.
It’s a contract to fly from A to B , which SN didn’t fulfil because of Technical reasons. But let’s see SN’s response.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lefly
Just for information, LIN + bus ( apparently bus organized by SN) and LH via MUC were offered at the same time, together with AZ via FCO. I choose the 2nd because with 2 big suitcases I really didn't want to manage a bus transfer.
I would be however curious to know what time this bus arrived TRN and who "registered" it.
I will enquire with SN and post any outcome.

p.s. I am a "she"
I think you did the right thing & best of luck with your claim
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:34 pm

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by chris63

It’s a contract to fly from A to B , ...

No, it's not a contract to "be flown". It's a contract to be "transported" from A to B.

Otherwise I always could claim compensation from LH when taking a "LH flight" operated by Deutsche Bahn by a train from FRA to Stuttgart, Cologne or Duesseldorf, as I wasn't "flown".
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by athome
No, it's not a contract to "be flown". It's a contract to be "transported" from A to B.

Otherwise I always could claim compensation from LH when taking a "LH flight" operated by Deutsche Bahn by a train from FRA to Stuttgart, Cologne or Duesseldorf, as I wasn't "flown".
Yes, it’s a contract to be transported from A to B, IMHO the option given to the OP which involved a 2 hr Bus ride was unreasonable but let’s await the outcome.

In your example, if you accepted the train from the outset it’s ok, if a flight is cancelled & you then have to take the train you should be compensated unless it’s extraordinarily circumstances.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:18 am

Lufthansa stranded us in Frankfurt overnight due to a flight delay from Leipzig, treated us terribly & have offered me the princely sum of USD 98 as compensation for my full fare business class ticket.
We didn't get to New York until the next day, so $98 doesn't come even close to my lost wages for the day.

They wrote the following "Furthermore, your return flight from Leipzig to Frankfurt on May 23, 2018 was delayed due to circumstances caused by a third party."

So I have some basic questions
  • Does EC261 apply to flights booked in the USA? Paid for by a US Citizen?
  • Is "third party" a way for them to get out of paying EUR 600 under EC261? (I've read them trying extraordinary circumstances)

I don't know how they are coming up with the $98, part of it is €34 for the Taxi I took the next morning back to FRA Airport the next morning when the Hotel had no viable transportation.

Thanks!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by sgolby
Lufthansa stranded us in Frankfurt overnight due to a flight delay from Leipzig, treated us terribly & have offered me the princely sum of USD 98 as compensation for my full fare business class ticket.
We didn't get to New York until the next day, so $98 doesn't come even close to my lost wages for the day.

They wrote the following "Furthermore, your return flight from Leipzig to Frankfurt on May 23, 2018 was delayed due to circumstances caused by a third party."

So I have some basic questions
  • Does EC261 apply to flights booked in the USA? Paid for by a US Citizen?
  • Is "third party" a way for them to get out of paying EUR 600 under EC261? (I've read them trying extraordinary circumstances)

I don't know how they are coming up with the $98, part of it is €34 for the Taxi I took the next morning back to FRA Airport the next morning when the Hotel had no viable transportation.

Thanks!
Only if the third party is ATC or God...

LH can’t just absolve itself of rsponsibility by claiming a mysterious 3rd party messed up.

Your lost wages or full fare business class ticket are completely irrelevant and I would stop raising this in your correspondence with LH. Stick to the facts: LH got you to FRA late and didn’t get you on a flight to your destination until the next day. They owe you 600€ EU261 plus duty of care ie refund for your reasonable hoteland other expenses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.