Am I entitled to compensation? [merged]

Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:38 am
Moderator: SAS
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: LX, SK EBD (*G)
Originally Posted by yosemite1
Got the flight, landed at 1:45 ��

if i I wanted to attempt a claim, what do I need to do?
Glad to hear you finally arrived at your destination.

Were you able to fly Business?
(small FYI: If you flew Economy you can't claim downgrade compensation because it was a voluntarily downgrade)

Regarding the delay: Since you have arrived more than 3 hours late at your destination you are able to claim for compensation.
Just write them an email stating all necessary datapoints (booking reference, flight numbers, delay etc.) and they will then reply to you weither they accept or refuse to pay compensation.
The email address you'll need to write to is: [email protected]

I recently missed a flight due to late arrival of the inbound in FRA and was delayed for over six hours, it took them two weeks to reply to my email, but the request was accepted and 3 days later I received the compensation. So in contrary to everybody else here, my compensation request acceptance level is still at 100%
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
BS bus avalability is totally within the LH business risk and in no way extraordinary!
I beg to differ. It is the airport rather than LH that assigns gates and controls the busses. If there are no busses or too few busses available, LH can't do anything. It is outside the control of LH and thus extraordinary IMO.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Eurowings flights redirected twice and luggage lost

Basic story is daughter flying Eurowings SZG to JFK with a connection in DUS on Sat. Aug 11. Flight EW9393 - SZG to DUS got diverted to STR because the wheel would not retract. Daughter was rebooked for a flight the next day from STR to DUS to catch the Sunday flight to JFK. They provided hotel and meals.
The next day Sunday,Aug 12 she successfully gets to DUS and onto Flight EW1100 to JFK. The flight then gets diverted to Stewart Airport(SWF) because they were told there was bad weather at JFK and needed to refuel. Eventually lands 26 hours after originally scheduled.
One of her bags was lost and is supposed to be on todays (Monday) flight.
Oddly when I enquired by the EW phone number they did not know the flight went to Stewart. Also the flight aware indicated the flight landed 2 hours before it actually did.

Interested in knowing how to approach this to get a successful response. Does it come under the rule of EU261?
​​​​​​​
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by 3galsontour
Interested in knowing how to approach this to get a successful response. Does it come under the rule of EU261?
This was an unfortunate sequence of events. It is indeed covered by EC261 for duty of care purposes but not for compensation.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by mmff
This was an unfortunate sequence of events. It is indeed covered by EC261 for duty of care purposes but not for compensation.
Since the original delay was due to a mechanical issue (failure of gear retraction and resulting diversion), I would say that compensation applies. After all even if the airplane landed on time (or hours early) in JFK there would still be a 3+ hour delay compared to the original plan.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:52 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I beg to differ. It is the airport rather than LH that assigns gates and controls the busses. If there are no busses or too few busses available, LH can't do anything. It is outside the control of LH and thus extraordinary IMO.
Your understanding from extraordinary is totally different from what the couts find!
it is about business risks...not about control!
If they would rent spare gates and busses from the airport there would never be a problem! ^
Courts have ruled out MX a failure of a supplier is also ruled out by the courts...
Heck even when MUC ran out of deicing fluid airlines had to pay up EU261...^
Old Aug 14, 2018, 1:55 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by mmff
Wrong - any MX triggers EU261!
The diversion does not - but the original delay does already!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:18 pm

The original delay also includes diversion, so you are being a bit confusing
Which is actually, how rare an event? So many people fly around for ages without ever having a diversion, let alone two on the same trip.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by SK AAR
I beg to differ, too: it (a) depends on the carrier whether it books gate or tarmac. This is clearly a matter of costs and therefore business. And (b) delayed busses are certainly nothing "extraordinary" but part of the normal business. It happens to me at least once a week. You forget that a valid excuse requires to aspects:
  • Not inherent in the normal activity of the airline, and
  • Outside the control of the airline.
It is not your "outside the control" as airlines love to argue.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Aug 17, 2018 at 12:18 am
Old Aug 15, 2018, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is in its generality wrong, too. Not every mechanical "triggers" EU261. A mechanical not inherent in the normal activity of the airline excuses the airline. As such I would consider a "traffic accident" on the tarmac, manufacturing defects or other unusual mechanicals.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; Aug 17, 2018 at 12:15 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by Nick Art
Glad to hear you finally arrived at your destination.

Were you able to fly Business?
(small FYI: If you flew Economy you can't claim downgrade compensation because it was a voluntarily downgrade)

Regarding the delay: Since you have arrived more than 3 hours late at your destination you are able to claim for compensation.
Just write them an email stating all necessary datapoints (booking reference, flight numbers, delay etc.) and they will then reply to you weither they accept or refuse to pay compensation.
The email address you'll need to write to is: [email protected]

I recently missed a flight due to late arrival of the inbound in FRA and was delayed for over six hours, it took them two weeks to reply to my email, but the request was accepted and 3 days later I received the compensation. So in contrary to everybody else here, my compensation request acceptance level is still at 100%
thank you for the info! I haven’t had the time to email LH just yet, is it bad if I wait until later next week when I arrive back home? Vacation and all is taking up time!
Old Aug 16, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Take you time and enjoy your holiday. You should write LH when you have the time to do. Weeks or even months (max 3 years) is not going to be an issue.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
This is in its generality wrong, too. Not every mechanical "triggers" EU261. It needs to be a mechanical not inherent in the normal activity of the airline. As such I would consider a "traffic accident" on the tarmac, manufacturing defects or other unusual mechanicals.
No, you have it exactly the other way round.
A mechanical failure even occurring prematurely, being inherent in normal operation of an airline, cannot be deemed extraordinary.
A mechanical failure can only be deemed extraordinary, if the cause is not inherent in normal operation, and is beyond the actual control of the airline; where preventative maintenance by replacing a prematurely failing component is judged as being within actual control of the airline. Reference ruling in case C-257/14
vladko likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
No, you have it exactly the other way round.
A mechanical failure even occurring prematurely, being inherent in normal operation of an airline, cannot be deemed extraordinary.
A mechanical failure can only be deemed extraordinary, if the cause is not inherent in normal operation, and is beyond the actual control of the airline; where preventative maintenance by replacing a prematurely failing component is judged as being within actual control of the airline. Reference ruling in case C-257/14
You are certainly right I changed a few words, wanted to draft it differently at the beginning. It was quite late in my place, thanks for,pointing this out to me.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: M&M FTL
CGN-MUC cancellation

My girlfriend had a cancelled CGN-MUC flight on July 20 and was rebooked for the following day.
We have submitted the compensation claim for another issue on the same booking (inbound flight cancellation) and we got positive answer.
But for the outbound flight, here's the reply from LH:

The reason for your outbound flight cancellation was due to adverse weather conditions.
For delays under three hours, the EC regulation 261/2004 does not grant compensatory payment. We therefore hope for your understanding that we cannot meet your request for compensation.
The flight was supposed to leave at 20:05 on July 20 from CGN. She received the cancellation notice on the same day at around 14:30.
So how could it be that a flight is cancelled "due to adverse weather conditions" several hourse before schedule, during summer, when the weather in CGN was perfectly fine the whole day?
I tried to look for historical weather data, but I'm not sure if this could serve as proof or something: https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=10513

I had success with some LH compensations in the past for other issues but especially delays. This is a cancellation, and yet LH reply is talking about "delays under three hours" – so this isn't very clear to me.
I remember that the delays/cancellations claims just count the total hours wasted, so in this case it's obviously more than 3 hours.
What am I missing, and how should we proceed?
thank you for helping!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.