Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I entitled to compensation? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:38 am

Confused Eurowings traveller

I am confused about trying to claim from Eurowings.
I was flying from London to Munich via Cologne
Flight was supposed to leave at 07:50 actually left after 08:30 arriving to late to make the connection in Cologne
There was no reason given for the delay
Eurowings booked me on a later flight from Cologne to Munich which was itself delayed.
The original arrival time was supposed to be 12:10 the actual arrival time was approx 15:30

So I have read various posts from the forum and am still confused:
- Am I entitled to compensation?
- Am I likely to get it if I ask for it?
- Is there anything I should quote to improve my chances?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Late Traveller
I am confused about trying to claim from Eurowings.
I was flying from London to Munich via Cologne
Flight was supposed to leave at 07:50 actually left after 08:30 arriving to late to make the connection in Cologne
There was no reason given for the delay
Eurowings booked me on a later flight from Cologne to Munich which was itself delayed.
The original arrival time was supposed to be 12:10 the actual arrival time was approx 15:30
as follows:

- Am I entitled to compensation?
>Depends on the reason for the delay.
- Am I likely to get it if I ask for it?
>If you qualify, yes.
- Is there anything I should quote to improve my chances?
>Just the basics. Flight times original, approxim
Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:26 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
My brother and his wife are currently routing SEA-FRA-FCO. They arrived FRA 09 Aug and were due to fly onwards to Rome. The Rome flight was delayed due to thunderstorms and then on pushback, the pushback truck damaged the landing gear leading to the flight being cancelled.

Would this count for EU261 compensation?
Would they be entitled to the short haul or long haul compensation due being in transit at Frankfurt?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:05 am

Originally Posted by McG
My brother and his wife are currently routing SEA-FRA-FCO. They arrived FRA 09 Aug and were due to fly onwards to Rome. The Rome flight was delayed due to thunderstorms and then on pushback, the pushback truck damaged the landing gear leading to the flight being cancelled.

Would this count for EU261 compensation?
Would they be entitled to the short haul or long haul compensation due being in transit at Frankfurt?
Even if the airline owns the pushback truck, this is going to be an uphill battle because of the thunderstorms delaying the same flight before the incident ocurred. What airline(s) was she flying with?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
A pushback tug damaging landing gear must surely be extraordinary & therefore no EU261
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:20 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Thanks for the advice, have passed this onto my brother and his wife. They were flying LH and the only flight to FCO showing as cancelled yesterday was the LH236.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by chris63
A pushback tug damaging landing gear must surely be extraordinary & therefore no EU261
I don't neccessarily agree.
Pushback tug is broadly on the same level of being inherent in airline operation as mobile stairs, and collision with mobile stair is not extraordinary.

I would suggest there's a strong case for compensation for cancellation. The delay and the subsequent cancellation, IMO, must be seen as two separate events.

The Court clarifies that the collision of mobile boarding stairs with the aircraft cannot be considered as "extraordinary circumstances" which exempt the air carrier from the obligation of compensation.
Mobile stairs or gangways can be regarded as indispensable to air passenger transport and, therefore, air carriers are regularly faced with situations arising from the use of such equipment. A collision between an aircraft and a set of mobile boarding stairs is, hence, an event inherent in the normal exercise of the activity of the air carrier. Nothing indicates that the damage to the aircraft is due to an act external to the normal services of an airport, such as an act of terrorism or sabotage, which would be considered as extraordinary circumstances.
Therefore there can be no exemption from the obligation of compensation in this case.

Case C-394/14 Sandy Siewert v Condor Flugdienst GmbH:
CURIA - List of results
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by Fabo.sk
I don't neccessarily agree.
Pushback tug is broadly on the same level of being inherent in airline operation as mobile stairs, and collision with mobile stair is not extraordinary.

I would suggest there's a strong case for compensation for cancellation. The delay and the subsequent cancellation, IMO, must be seen as two separate events.
Ok, good to know 👍

Hope for success for the OP & that they let us know the outcome
Old Aug 10, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Not a good case when weather is also involved. Any req. for comp. will firmly denied by LH (as with allmost all claims) and I doubt you will be able to persuade LH to pay voluntarily even with further email exhanges on the issue. Good luck!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:03 pm

I was flying LH828 on Tuesday from FRA to CPH when the entire terminal was evacuated. The plane took off only 52 minutes late but with no passengers on board since no one was still allowed in the terminal (supposedly to "stabilize flight operations"). After standing in the super hot and crowded "secure" room with no seats/food/water/restroom for hours, I then waited in another line for hours to try to get rebooked before I realized to call the USA Lufthansa number. I was placed on a flight the next day and got a hotel nearby, and provided my hotel receipt the next day and the Lufthansa agent said would be covered.

My question is am I entitled to any additional compensation under EU261 or similar? The plane did take off on time, but it seems sketchy to claim the passengers weren't delayed because no passengers would have been on board.

Even if I'm not entitled to it, any idea if Lufthansa will provide additional compensation for all of the trouble? In general, I was extremely disappointed at how this was handled at the airport, they were clearly not prepared for anything like this and had probably 3 agents trying to help 2,000+ people.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 4:45 pm

No. You are only entitled to compensation when the airline is responsible in some way for the delay.

This is completely on the screening people.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:40 pm

I've a case I hope somebody might be able to weigh in on.

I was flying on LH from LHR to IST via FRA. The inbound flight to then take me from London to Frankfurt was late due to "Airport and Governmental restrictions". So due to a late departure from London, and then being at a remote gate which took a while to get to the terminal, I missed the onward connection to Istanbul on LH1300 which leaves around midday .

I was automatically rebooked onto the night time flight at 21.50 (LH1304) before I'd even got to the gate to see if LH1300 was still there (I got an SMS and app notification while in line at security).

I asked the gate staff if it would be possible for me to go on another airline (I thought since TK is in Star Alliance it might be possible). Four or five flights on Turkish Airlines and Pegasus to both Atatürk and Sabiha Gökçen were operating before 21.50. I probably could've even gone via Munich to catch the Lufthansa departure from there and still arrived before I did. But the staff at the gate wouldn't look for me. They said if I'd already been allocated to the later LH flight, there mustn't be any availability on any alternative.

Yet the TK app was still selling tickets. I was in business class, but said I'd happily go in economy if there was any space to at least get to Istanbul earlier, but nobody would even look at the computer because I already had been automatically rebooked.

And then LH1304 was late too. So I ended up getting to IST about 12 hours after I was scheduled to.

I'm actually one of the mugs who booked a Lufthansa flight because it had been given 5 stars by Skytrax. I wanted to see what it was like since I'm normally an economy traveller on low cost airlines. But it was pretty sad. I was only going for a weekend too, so getting into Istanbul at 3am when I was leaving again that night made the trip a bit crap.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
How does this work?
- departing flight YYZ > FRA is delayed by an hour resulting in a missed connection
- I was supposed to land in FRA at 8am, for a 920am connection, but because I landed at 840am I missed it.
- they put me on a new flight FRA > CDG 1230pm arriving at 140pm. I was originally supposed to arrive at 1030am.
- I am flying on a business class Aeroplan redemption on Lufthansa
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by yosemite1
How does this work?
- departing flight YYZ > FRA is delayed by an hour resulting in a missed connection
- I was supposed to land in FRA at 8am, for a 920am connection, but because I landed at 840am I missed it.
- they put me on a new flight FRA > CDG 1230pm arriving at 140pm. I was originally supposed to arrive at 1030am.
- I am flying on a business class Aeroplan redemption on Lufthansa
What was the reason for the delay on the YYZ-FRA flight?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by Finkface
What was the reason for the delay on the YYZ-FRA flight?
they haven’t told me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.