Search

Am I entitled to compensation? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by wrldtrav2013
Could use some help here.

Due to IRROPS, I missed my connection from MUC > YYZ and had to reroute via MUC>YUL>YYZ. I was delayed a total of 4.5 hours and also downgraded from Premium Economy to Economy. Should I be receive the 600EUR in addition to a 75% refund on the leg of the fare due to the downgrade? LH is only offering the 600EUR but not the fare refund due to the downgrade.

What am I actually entitled to?
If LH are offering 600 EUR in EU261 compensation then presumably the circumstances were not extraordinary, therefore you are also entitled to the downgrade compensation, providing it was forced on you & you didn’t accept it.

More precise details would help
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Club Accor Silver, AC 75K
Originally Posted by chris63

If LH are offering 600 EUR in EU261 compensation then presumably the circumstances were not extraordinary, therefore you are also entitled to the downgrade compensation, providing it was forced on you & you didn’t accept it.

More precise details would help
It was basically a forced downgrade because there were no other flights leaving the same day, the other option would've been to stay overnight which isn't an option. What other details would be helpful?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was basically a forced downgrade because there were no other flights leaving the same day, the other option would've been to stay overnight which isn't an option. What other details would be helpful?
That’s the problem, if the only available flight was in Y & you accepted it then I highly doubt you will receive involuntary downgrade compensation, it you insisted on the same class of service, then they owed you Duty of care & EU261 delay compensation
Old Aug 5, 2019, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP certainly had the option to wait for the next flight with PE availability. Perhaps the next day or day after. But, he chose to accept the quickest reroute available (a smart decision in my view). That does not entitle him to a downgrade refund (there is no compensation for downgrades).
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No, it was not a forced downgrade. You preferred to travel on the same day (albeit in lower service class) rather than to stay overnight. This has nothing to do with invol. downgrade - it was voluntary as staying until the following day was declined/not an option.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 2:26 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by Often1
OP certainly had the option to wait for the next flight with PE availability. Perhaps the next day or day after. But, he chose to accept the quickest reroute available (a smart decision in my view). That does not entitle him to a downgrade refund (there is no compensation for downgrades).
Wrong!
Get a lawyer and they will pay both!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Wrong!
Get a lawyer and they will pay both!
I do agree. It was certainly not voluntary. It was as voluntary as handing your wallet to a guy standing in front of you holding a gun. The choice *next day* was not acceptable for the original poster and unless Lufthansa had offered to pay real compensation for one day of lost lifetime it was not voluntary. Besides that it was a clear breach of contract.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

I do agree. It was certainly not voluntary. It was as voluntary as handing your wallet to a guy standing in front of you holding a gun. The choice *next day* was not acceptable for the original poster and unless Lufthansa had offered to pay real compensation for one day of lost lifetime it was not voluntary. Besides that it was a clear breach of contract.
My whole stipulation is that there was a binding obligation to get me to my destination in the specified dates/time in a class of service as set out in the ticket. If they are unable to meet the conditions, then irregardless there has to be compensation for both the delay and downgrade in service. Yes they did get me to my final destination but albeit not in the specified time (4 hr delay) or in the cabin for which I paid for.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 7:56 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Wait!
You guys want to tell us that an airline (in case of IRROPS) may put a passenger on a later flight (which has the purchased travel class; Lufthansa A350 on MUC-YUL), but due to unknown reasons, the passenger is downgraded to a lower travel class ----> and then the airline can keep all the money?
wrldtrav2013 likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 9:06 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by warakorn
Wait!
You guys want to tell us that an airline (in case of IRROPS) may put a passenger on a later flight (which has the purchased travel class; Lufthansa A350 on MUC-YUL), but due to unknown reasons, the passenger is downgraded to a lower travel class ----> and then the airline can keep all the money?
No. Nowhere does it say that. Not in any post in this thread.

OP asks about compensation for the downgrade. There is none.

OP is contrractually ally entitled to a refund of the difference between the fare paid and the fare flown.

If involuntarily downgraded, which he was not, he would be due a reimbursement of 75% of the base segment fare.

The delay aspect was taken care of by the delay compensation.
chris63 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
No. Nowhere does it say that. Not in any post in this thread.

OP asks about compensation for the downgrade. There is none.

OP is contrractually ally entitled to a refund of the difference between the fare paid and the fare flown.

If involuntarily downgraded, which he was not, he would be due a reimbursement of 75% of the base segment fare.

The delay aspect was taken care of by the delay compensation.
Repeating it does not make it anyhow more correct. The downgrade was not voluntarily.
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

Repeating it does not make it anyhow more correct. The downgrade was not voluntarily.
Op, accepted what LH offered, he could have protested & asked them to confirm it wasn’t voluntary

I hope your right & morally I agree, let’s see what happens & I hope the Op provides the outcome
Old Aug 10, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite

Op, accepted what LH offered, he could have protested & asked them to confirm it wasn’t voluntary

I hope your right & morally I agree, let’s see what happens & I hope the Op provides the outcome
What is the advice for this at the time?

Clearly if the next Premium seat is in 15 days time that is not a sensible outcome, so when you say the OP could have waited until the next day, when does that end? Two days? Five days? A month?

I understand the point about it being voluntary but how does one make it clear to the airline that it isn’t in fact voluntary? Can the gate agent place notes in the booking to say the passenger was happy to wait for a Premium seat but nothing was available so they involuntarily accepted Economy?
Old Aug 10, 2019, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HarryKUK

What is the advice for this at the time?

Clearly if the next Premium seat is in 15 days time that is not a sensible outcome, so when you say the OP could have waited until the next day, when does that end? Two days? Five days? A month?

I understand the point about it being voluntary but how does one make it clear to the airline that it isn’t in fact voluntary? Can the gate agent place notes in the booking to say the passenger was happy to wait for a Premium seat but nothing was available so they involuntarily accepted Economy?
Next day or next flight which might be just hours away, if that’s unacceptable I would ask them to write down that I considered it involuntary & give me a copy or write a note myself & have them sign it.
Airlines & certainly LH modus operandi is never to pay out compensation
HarryKUK likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 7:52 am

outcome!

The outcome was that I was compensated for the reroute and the forced downgrade plus a "good will" gesture. All i all, I'm glad I went and questioned the involuntary downgrade which mean I got an extra $600 CAD in compensation.
chris63 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.