Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I entitled to compensation? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2018, 2:36 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by malmostoso
I'm positive this is covered under EC261 but I'd like to ask what's the best way of wording the compensation request.

A friend was flying today FCO-ZRH-LAX on LX. LX1727 was delayed due to a missing slot and then due to luggage loading. Arrived in ZRH at 12.49 instead of 11.20, went to the gate for LX40 which had however already closed (it apparently departed at 13.56 instead of 13.10). He has been given accommodation for the night so no complaints there. He has been rebooked for tomorrow on LX40.

Is it better to just provide the dry facts, or is it worth mentioning that it was LX's choice not to wait and offload him?
Thank you all for your input!
Sure it missed the original appointed slot? If there was a slot delay despite airplane being in place on time, that would be no grounds for cancellation.

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Hello, my friend has the below case and would like to know if any compensation from EC261 is due and how much if so.

LH727 PVG-MUC 08/31 arrived 8:33am instead of 5:15am due to an engine issue/repair.
Connecting flight LH2034 (originally arriving 10:05am) was missed and reticketed on LH2036 arriving 12:25am. (The connecting flight also arrived later than scheduled).

She doesn't remember the exact times but here's the landing times I pulled from Google.
Unless the replacement flight was delayed by more than noted here, no compensation.
TennisNoob likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:51 pm

What would happen if an outbound and return flight within Europe were booked for the same day, on the same reservation, and the return flight was missed because the connection time was less than MCT (i.e. zero minutes or 15 minutes)? Is the airline responsible to re-route you, and would you be entitled to compensation if the re-routing caused you to arrive at your final destination late? In this scenario, the return flight could be missed even if the outbound flight arrived on time.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:46 am

Programs: AC Black Card, Nexus
Originally Posted by yosemite1
So I've written up both my complaints to be sent in separately, I've removed my personal information (name, address, email, phone number), but it looks something like this:

Complaint concerning the following flights:
Lufthansa
Flight Number: LH471, LH1030
Booking Reference: (removed)
Ticket Number: (removed)
Date of flight: Aug 11, 2018
Reason for complaint: Delayed Flight, Missed Connection, Involuntary Downgrade
Booked Itinerary Class: Business
Airport of departure: YYZ
Airport of arrival: CDG
Connecting airport: FRA
Scheduled time of departure: 18:20 EDT
Actual time of departure: 19:55 EDT
Scheduled time of arrival: 10:30 CEST (+1)
Actual time of arrival: 13:51 CEST (+1)
Length of delay once arrived at final destination: 3-4 hours
Rebooked flight: LH1034, Economy
Compensation received: No

Complaint concerning the following flights:
Lufthansa
Flight Number: LH1051, LH442, AC7364
Booking Reference: (removed)
Ticket Number: (removed)
Date of flight: Aug 25, 2018
Reason for complaint: Delayed Flight, Missed Connection
Booked Itinerary Class: Business, Economy
Airport of departure: CDG
Airport of arrival: FRA, DTW
Connecting airport: YYZ
Scheduled time of departure: 07:45 CEST
Actual time of departure: 07:53 CEST
Scheduled time of arrival: 14:15 EDT
Actual time of arrival: 20:31 EDT
Length of delay once arrived at final destination: 4+ hours
Rebooked flight: AC7366
Compensation received: No

On the second complaint, is it important to note that the last leg is an AC segment? LH was supposed to handle the rebooking of that segment but didnt ultimately (AC did), and the mixed class for the second complaint.

Morning friends,

Just wanted to give you all an update!
Just got called by LH, my first claim was approved and I was given EUR300 compensation, and they will be filing for an additional refund for the downgrade.

The second claim, they havent gotten to yet, but I explained what happened over the phone and the agent said they would get back to me today or tomorrow. I was very clear that the delay was caused by the LH operated flight and I'm filing my claim based upon the final destination arrival (probably butchering those words, but I read it off the reply earlier in the thread lol).

Thanks for your help as always, I'll keep you posted!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
LH LHR-MUC 3 Cancellations, 1 Missed Connection - How best to address?

Appreciate any guidance on best way to address claim(s) arising out of the following 2 day LH adventure flying LHR-MUC?

Is this a single incident or should I address each cancellation/delay individually? Given that I fully expect LH to deny the first flight as "extraordinary", does that make any difference on the following cancellations and missed connection?

Initial ticketed flight: 29-May LH2479 LHR-MUC : Canceled .
Obtained from LH Customer Service their "Certificate of Flight Cancellation" that claimed the cancellation cause was "Bad Weather"

Rebooked on 29-May LH2481 LHR-MUC: Canceled during boarding process
No official reason given/known though I heard several comments thatindicated had flight departed, its arrival n MUC would violate curfew?

I and several other passengers went to the LH lounge and despite the lounge agents appearing to making calls on our behalf, no hotel or compensation of any kind was provided. Expenses incurred: (@$450 hotel, taxis, phone calls to LH trying to rebook)

Rebooked on 30-May LH2477 LHR-MUC - Cancelled
No official reason given/known

Rebooked on 30-May LH2479 LHR-MUC - Delay Reported (No official reason given/known)
Upon arrival at LHR, LH2479 had a reported delay so I was rebooked on the presumably on-time LHR-FRA-MUC

30-May LH915 LHR-FRA - Flight Slightly Delayed (No official reason given/known)
As I transited through Passport Control trying to make my now extremely tight connection, there the agent told me I was rebooked to a FRA-MUC flight the next morning.

Once I confirmed that I did in fact miss my connection (on 30-May LH122 FRA-MUC) I went to the LH lounge where I was provided with a hotel and meal voucher.
Rebooked on 31-May LH094 FRA-MUC - No issues - finally arrived at MUC ^

Any insights are appreciated as I've already procrastinated long enough!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 2:17 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bk3day
Appreciate any guidance on best way to address claim(s) arising out of the following 2 day LH adventure flying LHR-MUC?

Is this a single incident or should I address each cancellation/delay individually? Given that I fully expect LH to deny the first flight as "extraordinary", does that make any difference on the following cancellations and missed connection?

Initial ticketed flight: 29-May LH2479 LHR-MUC : Canceled .
Obtained from LH Customer Service their "Certificate of Flight Cancellation" that claimed the cancellation cause was "Bad Weather"

Rebooked on 29-May LH2481 LHR-MUC: Canceled during boarding process
No official reason given/known though I heard several comments thatindicated had flight departed, its arrival n MUC would violate curfew?

I and several other passengers went to the LH lounge and despite the lounge agents appearing to making calls on our behalf, no hotel or compensation of any kind was provided. Expenses incurred: (@$450 hotel, taxis, phone calls to LH trying to rebook)

Rebooked on 30-May LH2477 LHR-MUC - Cancelled
No official reason given/known

Rebooked on 30-May LH2479 LHR-MUC - Delay Reported (No official reason given/known)
Upon arrival at LHR, LH2479 had a reported delay so I was rebooked on the presumably on-time LHR-FRA-MUC

30-May LH915 LHR-FRA - Flight Slightly Delayed (No official reason given/known)
As I transited through Passport Control trying to make my now extremely tight connection, there the agent told me I was rebooked to a FRA-MUC flight the next morning.

Once I confirmed that I did in fact miss my connection (on 30-May LH122 FRA-MUC) I went to the LH lounge where I was provided with a hotel and meal voucher.
Rebooked on 31-May LH094 FRA-MUC - No issues - finally arrived at MUC ^

Any insights are appreciated as I've already procrastinated long enough!
So it took you a day and a half to travel LHR-MUC???

Since your ticket was to fly LHR-MUC I think the whole thing should be treated as one claim. Simply list the originally booked flight (date, flight number, route), alternative flight(s) booked ( date, flight number, etc) marking them as cancelled/delayed and the eventual flights flown ( date, flight number, etc). List separately all out of pocket expenses and attach receipts but try and keep it simple without reasons for the delays, etc. The airline should have this information.

Check earlier posts in this thread about other info (booking ref, bank details, etc.) to include.

Good luck!
Old Sep 23, 2018, 5:56 pm

Programs: Delta Silver; 0.75MM: AA; Alaska; Southwest
OS; EC 261 claim?

Having never flown OS before (no complaints other than a cancelled flight!) I am wondering how to submit an EC261 claim to OS? LAX to ZAG was delayed overnight in VIE (we were provided a hotel, dining and transfers, as well as an amenity kit by OS).
Do I email OS (it was a Croatia Air flight from VIE to ZAG but an OS ticket)? Do they have a customer service email or claim link? Is there a designated claim form on their website (I looked but couldn't find any info.) Thanks for any help provided!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 2:03 am

Programs: FB, MM, QR
Claims should always be submitted to the operating carrier, in your case OS. Here's the complaint form direct from the European Commission website.
You can email OS at one of the addresses listed here. Assuming you're from the US as you said you were flying from LAX. If that's not the case, you can find the info for other countries in a drop-down menu at the bottom of the linked page.
If they don't reply in a reasonable amount of time, you can escalate to the Austrian Agency for Passenger Rights.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:34 am

Thank You Somnifer for your very helpful reply!
Somnifer likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 10:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
Thank You Somnifer for your very helpful reply!
Your post is a bit unclear. Why were you delayed at VIE. Was it that OS was delayed on arrival causing a misconect or that OU was delayed/cancelled.

The operating carrier of the delayed / cancelled flight is responsible for the compensation, so that will matter a great deal.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:15 pm

I was flying LAX to ZAG on an Austrian ticket. My flight was delayed a few hours at VIE and then cancelled. I was rebooked on a VIE-ZAG flight leaving the following day. They put us up at the Intercontinental, provided meals and transfers to/from the hotel. My ticket was booked directly through Austrian's website. The VIE/ZAG flight was on a Croatia Air plane.
Does that mean I should apply for compensation from Croatia Air?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Geogirl1234
I was flying LAX to ZAG on an Austrian ticket. My flight was delayed a few hours at VIE and then cancelled. I was rebooked on a VIE-ZAG flight leaving the following day. They put us up at the Intercontinental, provided meals and transfers to/from the hotel. My ticket was booked directly through Austrian's website. The VIE/ZAG flight was on a Croatia Air plane.
Does that mean I should apply for compensation from Croatia Air?
Yes. Presuming that you mean that the flight delayed was the OU flight, OU was the operating carrier and your claim for compensation must be made there. Simple instructions and alternatives provided in clear detail on the website:

https://www.croatiaairlines.com/Lega...sengers-rights

But, it would be helpful to know why your OU flight was cancelled. If for "extraordinary circumstances" such as weather, thee will be no compensation.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:35 pm

Thank You!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 3:20 am
Original Member

Programs: DL, AF and KL - UA - *G
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes. Presuming that you mean that the flight delayed was the OU flight, OU was the operating carrier and your claim for compensation must be made there. Simple instructions and alternatives provided in clear detail on the website:

https://www.croatiaairlines.com/Lega...sengers-rights

But, it would be helpful to know why your OU flight was cancelled. If for "extraordinary circumstances" such as weather, thee will be no compensation.
Weather almost NEVER qualifyes for extraordinary..... it seems to be a US thing to always claim "weather".....
Any weather condition occuring more than 3 times a year is regularly turned down to not being extraordinary by EU courts...
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by Germanfflyer
Weather almost NEVER qualifyes for extraordinary..... it seems to be a US thing to always claim "weather".....
Any weather condition occuring more than 3 times a year is regularly turned down to not being extraordinary by EU courts...

Umm.

Weather is the extraordinary circumstance, as far as I know, and I haven't heard of a single case where weather ruling was succesfully overthrown (except maybe where the airline was unable to argue weather was the actual cause of delay). Not that this would not put the whole compensation business on its head. I mean... I could make money just by watching the weather forecast, and booking flex tickets. Cancelled? Grab the comp. Not cancelled? Refund my flex ticket last minute.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 6:24 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
A friend was flying today FCO-ZRH-LAX on LX. LX1727 was delayed due to a missing slot and then due to luggage loading. Arrived in ZRH at 12.49 instead of 11.20, went to the gate for LX40 which had however already closed (it apparently departed at 13.56 instead of 13.10). He has been given accommodation for the night so no complaints there. He has been rebooked for tomorrow on LX40.
To follow up on this claim: upon his return to Europe my friend wrote a concise message through the Swiss website. He received a positive reply about two weeks later with a promise to pay the 600€ within 21 days.

So in this case no need to fight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.