Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa Re-booking ticket due to medical reasons

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:05 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa Re-booking ticket due to medical reasons

I got severe flu with high degree fever and was unable to take my flight back to USA from Europe. I went to my family doctor and obtained medical certificate confirming my illness. Now, I bought my ticket through travel agent (stupid me) and when I called Lufthansa counter at the airport 3 hour before the flight they said they cannot do anything with my ticket and that everything has to be handled by my travel agent. The only thing lufthansa representative was able to do is to put a note in their system that I called with emergency sickness and that I was unable to resolve the issue with my travel agent due to time difference.

As soon as my travel agent opened in USA, I contacted them explaining the situation and providing them medical certificate from my family doctor. Shortly after my agent replied with copy of lufthansa representative email stating that they cannot accept the paper from my family doctor and only a paper from hospital will be accepted. This is ridiculous. Now I am facing 300$ penalty fee for changing the ticket, plus about 200$ for difference in tickets (no same class availability) plus penalty for NO SHOW (because my travel agent was not open when I called with emergency situation to the lufthansa counter at the airport and lufthansa representatives could not change the ticket themselves).

Any ideas on these "hospital only" paper, is there an actual rule stating that you have to be hospitalized in order for the rebooking fee to be waived? And if you did not get sick enough to hospitalized they will not waive it?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:09 am

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Olga Istratii
I got severe flu with high degree fever and was unable to take my flight back to USA from Europe. I went to my family doctor and obtained medical certificate confirming my illness. Now, I bought my ticket through travel agent (stupid me) and when I called Lufthansa counter at the airport 3 hour before the flight they said they cannot do anything with my ticket and that everything has to be handled by my travel agent. The only thing lufthansa representative was able to do is to put a note in their system that I called with emergency sickness and that I was unable to resolve the issue with my travel agent due to time difference.

As soon as my travel agent opened in USA, I contacted them explaining the situation and providing them medical certificate from my family doctor. Shortly after my agent replied with copy of lufthansa representative email stating that they cannot accept the paper from my family doctor and only a paper from hospital will be accepted. This is ridiculous. Now I am facing 300$ penalty fee for changing the ticket, plus about 200$ for difference in tickets (no same class availability) plus penalty for NO SHOW (because my travel agent was not open when I called with emergency situation to the lufthansa counter at the airport and lufthansa representatives could not change the ticket themselves).

Any ideas on these "hospital only" paper, is there an actual rule stating that you have to be hospitalized in order for the rebooking fee to be waived? And if you did not get sick enough to hospitalized they will not waive it?
Can't you make a claim on your travel insurance?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by MichaelBaku
Can't you make a claim on your travel insurance?
Exactly...this is the reason there is such a thing as travel insurance.

And I hope the OP had some!
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:20 am

Programs: TK Elite ...and blue, lots of blue...
Check with your credit card issuer, they might have insurance (Amex has) if you've paid with the card.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately I do not have travel insuerance
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Originally Posted by Olga Istratii
Unfortunately I do not have travel insuerance
That is the issue. Without travel/medical insurance you are basically up the creek. Personally we would not go anywhere without such insurance and it is important to know what is and what is not covered.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:17 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Lufthansa's policy is that the TA has to issue the refund.

So is it Lufthansa or the TA who is saying the dr 's note isn't enough? a
If you are based in the US I would call their customer service office in East Meadow NY
1-516-794-2232
and see if you find a sympathetic person and send them the paperwork. They were very helpful to me in the past.
I'm afraid that legally, thought you may be out of luck.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by squeakr
So is it Lufthansa or the TA who is saying the dr 's note isn't enough? a
If you are based in the US I would call their customer service office in East Meadow NY
1-516-794-2232
and see if you find a sympathetic person and send them the paperwork. They were very helpful to me in the past.
I'm afraid that legally, thought you may be out of luck.
Why should anybody issue a refund? A ticket does not come with built in travel insurance, does it?
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:57 am

I recall other having had success with LH in rebooking w/o cost. Offer to fax the paperwork.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why should anybody issue a refund? A ticket does not come with built in travel insurance, does it?
... and when did it become LH's fault that the OP got sickish? And then waited until it would be safe no-show before making any attempt to get a date-change?

If the OP gets away with paying a few hundred bucks that doesn't sound too bad in my book.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by weero
... and when did it become LH's fault that the OP got sickish? And then waited until it would be safe no-show before making any attempt to get a date-change?

If the OP gets away with paying a few hundred bucks that doesn't sound too bad in my book.
LH should motivate sick people to travel? No thanks...
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:32 pm

I hope the OP feels better now.
You could and should check the ticket rules. Usually there is a paragraph about death/illness - this is an example:
" C. EMERGENCY PROVISION
-- TICKET MAY BE REFUNDED OR USED TOWARD THE
PURCHASE OF ANOTHER TICKET IF DUE TO ILLNESS
OF PASSENGER OR TRAVELING COMPANION OR DEATH
OF PASSENGER/IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBER/
TRAVELING COMPANION. A VALID DEATH OR
HOSPITAL/MEDICAL CERTIFICATE IS REQUIRED."

Your TA should be able to provide you with the rules for your ticket. And one word of warning about travel insurance: It makes you feel good to have this kind of insurance, but usually there are severe restrictions and the insurance does not cover what you assume it will cover. So check the fine print. Personally I find travel insurance (especially the short term per trip type) absolutely overpriced for the kind of risks they really cover.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Travel insurance must be a lot cheaper in Europe than in the US.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 1:00 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
If the airport ticket office entered a waiver in the booking, the free change should be relatively easy. I don't get why the TA is not able to get the fee waived.
Old Sep 24, 2014, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Travel insurance must be a lot cheaper in Europe than in the US.
It isn't - the mentality is just different most of us simply wouldn't leave the country without decent insurance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.