Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there anything I can do with a bag tag number on a lost bag?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by 8420PR
If I was you I would just replace the medicine and get on with life. The costs should be reclaimed from the airline you flew with last.
Replacing medicine with a foreign prescription in a country where, according to the OP, "life is cheap and the first world problems about a foreigner and his missing bag don't matter", might not be easy.

Depending on the kind of medication this may be outright impossible.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:40 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tyberius
The bag was checked in with Lufthansa and connected twice with Lufthansa on a Lufthansa business class ticket. Then it was supposed to be interlined to another airline on another ticket and this is where I think it fell apart.

Because this was interlined the receiving airline is saying that it has nothing to do with them, won't even tell me their compensation policies, doesn't speak my language, the contact phone number never picks up, customer support says they won't even begin talking to me until I produce an itemized list of contents for my bag along with receipts proving their value. Emails are ignored, they couldn't even record my email address correctly and I have zero hope of getting any answer out of them, even if they thought it was their problem. As far as they are concerned they have never seen the bag and don't know what the hell I am talking about.
So you did reach your destination on another airline other than Lufthansa, though your bag didn't. And the bag was checked through to your final destination.

In that case my understanding is you should file your missing baggage report with the last airline you flew on as 8420PR suggested and not with Lufthansa. That airline is wrong in telling you it's nothing to do with them. The bag may not have been handed over to them but that's not the point.

And if you really want more information from Lufthansa why don't you follow oliver2002's advice and contact the LH Lurkers?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
So you did reach your destination on another airline other than Lufthansa, though your bag didn't. And the bag was checked through to your final destination.

In that case my understanding is you should file your missing baggage report with the last airline you flew on as 8420PR suggested and not with Lufthansa. That airline is wrong in telling you it's nothing to do with them. The bag may not have been handed over to them but that's not the point.
I did file a missing luggage report. The "delivering airline" never received the bag, will not talk to me, will not tell me what compensation options are available to me, will not indicate any level of responsibility whatsoever. Phone numbers are unanswered and emails are ignored, social media contacts go right back to the lines and emails that don't answer.

Worldtracer has nothing to say, I can't contact them, the file has never been updated.

LH lost the bag and did not check it through. It had connections marked HOT in DUS and CDG. In one of the two it got derailed.

The corporations are pointing fingers, one saying they are not responsible because they have nothing to do with this bag nor have seen it or heard about it ever. The other hides behind its interline agreement as a way of disclaiming all responsibility. They lose the bag in DUS for instance and can blame the last person.

Anyone at an airport can punch in the six digits and tell me if the bag is there or not.

I am just trying to get around the corporate finger pointing and get help. I have no bag. I have medicine in it that I need. I have to continue to explain this on flyertalk to people who want to blame me somehow for this.

Something has gone wrong here and the system has broken down, as is it is not going to yield any results unless I can get a human being from LH to have a look at what has happened.

And if you really want more information from Lufthansa why don't you follow oliver2002's advice and contact the LH Lurkers?
Of course I did it as soon as I read it.

There is response here or by PM.

LH has so far only indicated that they have no baggage department and there is no worldwide contact for such a thing.

All I am trying to do is to get someone to do the equivalent of what I can get off of the Delta website by clicking a link.

All they want to do is point fingers at each other. They do not care about finding the bag, they are both trying to avoid responsibility and getting themselves into a position where they will receive a claim.

I just want my bag though. Obviously finding the customer's bag is the last priority and maybe because the claim limits are set high by the EU their priority becomes hiding from the customer.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:27 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmff
Replacing medicine with a foreign prescription in a country where, according to the OP, "life is cheap and the first world problems about a foreigner and his missing bag don't matter", might not be easy.

Depending on the kind of medication this may be outright impossible.
I have been in this position before. Going down the list of medications in other countries and getting the head shaking. We don't have that. We don't have that. We don't have that.

I have trouble trying to conceptualize any flyertalk member having a five day delayed bag which looks like it will be a lost one, one week into a three week trip, and just going oh well lalala moving on.

Buying the various other junk needed to properly function over a three week trip is also going to necessitate getting new luggage. If the bag then does a surprise appearance at or near the end you now have another set of problems and fees in terms of getting it home. I don't want the junk I will end up with this, and a spare junk bag, and to have to pay tax and duty of 13% of it all when I come home.

I am still in a position where nobody has accepted that they are the party who will accept a compensation claim on this as well.

So, I think just walking away is probably not so smart, the better thing is to try to find a human being who can fix whatever went wrong with the report or at least give me whatever information they have about my property so I can try to find it myself.

Of course I have shoes in there I can't replace and dress shirts I've bought over a few years that are not easily replaceable and if it gets into total bag loss what they offer me is not even going to come close to the value of what I am going to lose. Do I want to spend a couple of days digging through old credit card statements to try to prove that I bought the thing they lost? Nope. Just moving on is going to cost a lot of time and money and problems too. I'd be happier if the bag can be found.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:03 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner

In that case my understanding is you should file your missing baggage report with the last airline you flew..
That is the only option..

The OP might have brought the considerable delay upon himself by pestering the wrong carrier all along.

As much as I dislike Lufthansa, in my 29 bag losses, it only took them once more than 24 hours to reunite it with me. Most of the time, I had it back on the same calendar day, I lost it.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by weero
That is the only option..

The OP might have brought the considerable delay upon himself by pestering the wrong carrier all along.

As much as I dislike Lufthansa, in my 29 bag losses, it only took them once more than 24 hours to reunite it with me. Most of the time, I had it back on the same calendar day, I lost it.
I am attempting to talk to a human being at either carrier or at any airport who can possibly be of assistance.

I wrote above that they are finger pointing and neither wants to make any person available for me to talk to or to help. Likely because nobody wants to be stuck with the bill if it is not found.

LH had the responsibility of the bag through two connections and they are the people I gave the bag to. I am trying to get them to tell me what they know so I can find it. I am not trying to hold anyone's feet to the fire.

I'm just trying to find my bag so I can get my meds and stop the bleeding. And I don't understand why a human being cannot just tap the bag tag into the system and tell me. If they can say yeah, we clearly gave it to the other carrier that would be of huge help to me. I am pretty sure it's sitting in paris. If they can tell me that I can go get it. That's all I am trying to do and why there has to be this massive wall between me and my property I don't understand. I spent a lot of money on a business class ticket and I never expected that there would be this huge blanket of secrecy over what they are doing or did with my property. What I need from them can be completed with 30 seconds on the phone.

But they can't even give me a phone number for a baggage department in Europe because they say it doesn't exist. The same problem in North America you can call LH and a human picks up the phone and will answer your problem immediately. I don't understand why they do that in NA and not in EU. That's all I want here.

I don't think it is incredibly unreasonable. I am just trying to get their help. You know, as a paying customer who bought a product and lost $4,000 worth of stuff including meds meant to stop his bleeding. Even as a simple courtesy to this customer you would think someone would make the gesture instead of this incredible blanket of silence for days. I'm in pain.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 8:57 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Also 29 bag losses. OMG. How many flights did you take for LH to lose your bags so many times? 24 hours though this can just be a misconnect.

I'm on day 6 without the slightest bit of information and I have not been able to talk to a human yet about my bag.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: A3*G - AZ CFP- HH DIA
Instead of wrinting weired stories, you would better answer the questions you were asked in this thread and doing what you have been advised...

Why don't you contact the last airline you've flown where your bag has been checked-in? That's the official SPOC and you have to claim your missing bag there...

But maybe you don't want to let help you here...?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Got my bag and my meds. I had to go to the airport to get it myself. 2 hours later WorldTracer status has changed to indicate that it has tentatively been located, pending confirmation. Still was unable to speak to anyone from LH.

It was just sitting in Paris all this time and just came in today. Just as I thought. Very surprised at tied hands approach LH has given its employees to business class customers left in the lurch. I never knew they were like this.

So I'll review airlines baggage contacts in the future before buying any tickets. Companies like this who claim not to have anyone who can help with baggage, I am going to stay far away from.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 12:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Air Rarotonga
Instead of wrinting weired stories, you would better answer the questions you were asked in this thread and doing what you have been advised...

Why don't you contact the last airline you've flown where your bag has been checked-in? That's the official SPOC and you have to claim your missing bag there...

But maybe you don't want to let help you here...?
I asked one thing of this community which was what can I do with a bag tag number in the contest of LH. From that I got responses from "Why don't you go buy replacement medication?" to "Why don't you contact the other airline?" to "Instead of writing weird stories..."

I did all of the basics and the requirements before I ever came to flyertalk to ask this simple question. I came here because none of that was generating any progress and nobody would talk to me to give me any information about what had happened and what I could expect and I have a medical issue. And people here often have the experience or knowledge or contacts to say yes sure, here's how you do *that*. So I asked. I am not just being impatient about not getting some shirts and socks and I am not at home. People want to know why this and why that so I told them why on the medical issue. So other people want to say that's weird. I'm sorry about that, but people want to know why you're doing this and that and why you're not doing the other thing blah blah.

You make a claim that you're trying to help while being insulting, so I just don't understand the reason for making the post. Before you get into accusations and into being insulting you should at least read where people already suggested what you did and that I already responded that I had done these things.

Anyway, thanks you to those who did offer help.

There is no reason for a bag to sit for 5 days because someone didn't take it from Terminal 1 to Terminal 2 and if they would just have someone who can deal with the customer then none of this would be necessary. 30 seconds of their time was all that was needed.

Last edited by tyberius; Aug 30, 2014 at 12:52 pm
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by tyberius
Got my bag and my meds. I had to go to the airport to get it myself. 2 hours later WorldTracer status has changed to indicate that it has tentatively been located, pending confirmation. Still was unable to speak to anyone from LH.

It was just sitting in Paris all this time and just came in today. Just as I thought. Very surprised at tied hands approach LH has given its employees to business class customers left in the lurch. I never knew they were like this.

So I'll review airlines baggage contacts in the future before buying any tickets. Companies like this who claim not to have anyone who can help with baggage, I am going to stay far away from.
Just out of curiosity, where were you, how did you get to CDG and how much did it cost you to do it?
Old Aug 30, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
this thread should be closed ...
Old Aug 30, 2014, 5:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it is water under the bridge for OP, there is value for others in understanding that by IATA convention, when bags are interlined, it is the delivering carrier which bears the duty to locate, deliver and, if necessary compensate for loss/damage. This is true whether the delivering carrier ever received the bags in the first place. It is intended as a consumer-friendly provision which leaves the passenger one single point of contact.

For this reason, LH was entirely correct in refusing to help and the carrier which OP refused to name, was entirely at fault for refusing to do so.

With the name of that carrier, it is more than likely that someone on FT might have a better contact and OP might have quickly obtained the information he sought and had his bag or at least its location two days ago.

OP is free to review baggage contracts for other carriers and he will likely find that there is no difference.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
OP, why won't you name the other airline you flew or your destination?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 3:03 am

Liquid meds can be transported in ones handluggage! Never part with your meds for exactly this reasons. The best is to have Dr. note and to carry the meds in a separate zip lock bag. I have never had any trouble with this Option over the last 12 years

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.