Longhaul EuroWings will start ops in Winter2015-16

Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
They tried some nonsensical tactics in the past too. Do you remember when they stopped having a drinks trolley in economy on European flights some time around 2004 or 2005? A small prepacked carton of water was offered along with a meagre birdseed snack, no choice of drinks from the trolley because there simply was no trolley. They got a real bunch of vitriol from me about that, then they abruptly reinstated the original service. Made me feel like I had been listened to, but I reckon that they had received loads and loads of complaints from people because it was just awful.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Concerto
They tried some nonsensical tactics in the past too. Do you remember when they stopped having a drinks trolley in economy on European flights some time around 2004 or 2005?...
No I don't ... ever since 2004, LH was "playing turbulence" on my DE or ZRH routes and no drinks whatsoever would be offered ...
Old Jan 26, 2015, 1:17 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
First EW livery on an A320: http://www.flugzeugbilder.de/a/134/64/1422225752.jpg
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by oliver2002
So similar to OS other than it's colors.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Oddly, I find this logo surprisingly ok. It's simple and direct without being too bland or having too many of those annoying whooshes. And it looks quite good, I think. Those of you familiar with Transavia might have an opinion on their new branding, which I think is rubbish and fully in keeping with the bland style of the early 2000s. It sums up what it is really, better than anything else:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ew-livery.html
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:27 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
The term inoffensive springs to mind!

I do like the location of the a/c registration, makes it much easier to spot.

But I find the tail fin livery typical of many these days, and from a distance it becomes increasing difficult to identify which airline it is just by the tail fin and they all seem to blend into one.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: SK Diamond, LH SEN, KL Ivory, AY Basic, OZ silver
Originally Posted by Concerto
Oddly, I find this logo surprisingly ok. It's simple and direct without being too bland or having too many of those annoying whooshes. And it looks quite good, I think. Those of you familiar with Transavia might have an opinion on their new branding, which I think is rubbish and fully in keeping with the bland style of the early 2000s. It sums up what it is really, better than anything else:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-f...ew-livery.html
The livery like on the PH-HZE? You're right about that one. For some reason it looks a bit like Ryanair livery, but cheaper. At least Ryanair had the decency to use 2 colors (and non-offensive ones, too)...

Compared to HV I think the new EuroWings logo is quite nice.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 1:49 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Eurowings (EW) to start long-haul services to leisure markets

With the official sales launch at the International Tourism Exchange (ITB) in Berlin, short and long-haul routes can now be booked with new Eurowings to fly from 25 October 2015 onwards. Eurowings intercontinental flights depart from Cologne/Bonn Airport. The cheapest tickets on the long-haul routes are already on offer from EUR 99.99 per route. The first flights will take off to the Caribbean, Dubai and Thailand.
Under the umbrella of the Eurowings sales brand, the range of European and domestic routes will be expanded with intercontinental city and holiday destinations. From the winter flight plan 2015/16 onwards, the new route network will include Dubai, the Thai cities of Bangkok and Phuket, as well as the Caribbean destinations of Varadero and Punta Cana.
The Cologne/Bonn – Dubai route for example is offered as a one way ticket at prices from EUR 99.99 (BASIC), EUR 149.99 (SMART) and EUR 399.99 (BEST). All flights can be bought from today at www.germanwings.com. The BEST and SMART fares can also be booked through travel agents. Booking will be available through www.eurowings.com from October.
http://www.lufthansagroup.com/en/pre...icle/3449.html

Lufthansa head of finance Markus Ott ... said (02-Mar-2015) the carrier's new low-cost carrier Eurowings will start long-haul services to leisure markets but noted no firm decision has yet been made. "... that might be the Caribbean, that might be Florida." Mr Ott continued: "Thailand might be one of those destinations where its difficult for the Lufthansa brand to be really profitable but maybe for Eurowings. The same is true maybe for places in India where we don't have much business travellers and that might also be a good place."
http://centreforaviation.com/news/eu...thansa--422929

Last edited by NewbieRunner; Mar 4, 2015 at 2:36 pm Reason: add more reliable source
Old Mar 4, 2015, 2:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
As stated numerous times before, we need consolidation in markets like Germany.

Without any doubt, there is demand to classic leisure routes from Germany, however in order to make money on those low yield long-haul routes, you have to have a very lean organisation.

Condor trimmed a lot of fat in recent years and became profitable again, however they have a major fleet renewal program ahead of them.

Even Air Berlin lost a lot of weight in recent years, but they were so obese that the threshold to make money with leisure pax is still some major cost saving programs away.

But three airlines plus foreign carriers going for low yield passengers ex Germany to thin leisure destinations is simply too much, so a combined effort might work, but I do not see three airlines independant of each other to markets like TPA, RSW, FLL, LAS not to mention markets in Asia, were the airlines from the Gulf have destroyed fares over the last couple of years.

Using Sun Express, Eurowings or any other relatively cheap labour contract is also neccesary, but again, it is a lot of effort for a relatively low (finacial) return. Further co-operations with tour operators might also decrease costs by a few per mill.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: M&M FTL; BAEC Bronze
Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
but noted no firm decision has yet been made. "... that might be the Caribbean, that might be Florida." Mr Ott continued: ...
Interesting statement, give that you can now purchases tickets on Eurowings to;
  • Dubai (VAE) ab 99,99
  • Bangkok (Thailand) ab 199,99
  • Phuket (Thailand) ab 199,99
  • Varadero (Kuba) ab 229,99
  • Punta Cana (DomRep) ab 229,99

Source (German): http://www.urlaubspiraten.de/fluge/d...its-ab-99-euro
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:07 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Eurowings (EW, Dusseldorf) will take delivery of its first two A330-200s in mid-November and December the FVW news site has revealed. The aircraft, part of a group of seven leased A330s, will be equipped with 310 seats.

From its Cologne/Bonn hub, Eurowings will offer 2x weekly flights to Dubai, Bangkok and Phuket in Asia while its Caribbean operations will include Varadero (Cuba), Montego Bay (Jamaica), and La Romana (Dominican Republic).

Quoting informed sources, FVW says Eurowings' initial flights have already been offered to tour operators, with the Varadero service likely to be fully booked by the time the project launches. Other destinations in Florida, the Indian Ocean, and southern Africa are expected to roll out thereafter.
http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/ne...ings-during-4q
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:00 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by FD1971
As stated numerous times before, we need consolidation in markets like Germany.

Without any doubt, there is demand to classic leisure routes from Germany, however in order to make money on those low yield long-haul routes, you have to have a very lean organisation.
[...]
But three airlines plus foreign carriers going for low yield passengers ex Germany to thin leisure destinations is simply too much, so a combined effort might work, but I do not see three airlines independant of each other to markets like TPA, RSW, FLL, LAS not to mention markets in Asia, were the airlines from the Gulf have destroyed fares over the last couple of years.
Thanks for the great summarization, FD1971!

Every senior LH manager and their consultants should print your contribution and stick it to the pinboard.

And review it on March 27th, 2016, the end of the first (and only?) winter timetable of this cash-burning low-cost adventure.

I am firmly convinced that there is no summer timetable 2016 showing the now advertised destinations.....

Amendment 16:14 CET:
Just made a dummy price request and the website shows the seat map:

The a/c offers:
+ three rows of "best seats" with a 2-3-2 configuration (=21 seats)

+ then three rows with 2-4-2 seating and the 4 seats in the last row of the "Zone A" on the main deck
(these denominated as "standard seats") -> 28 seats

+ then some rows of seats with more legroom and a pillow
6 rows 2-4-2 with additional legroom -> 48 seats

+ 23 rows of standard seats 2-4-2 -> 184 seats
+ 4 rows of seats in a 2-3-2 configuration due to the narrower fuselage at the back -> 28 seats
+ a middle block of 3 seats as last row -> 3 seats

All in-all it seems that there are 21 seats for the "BEST" fare and 291 seats for the other fare
classes.

You can do the math's about possible revenue and pitch yourself....

Last edited by gum; Mar 4, 2015 at 8:22 am
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
So finally Lufthansa realizes it cannot keep gouging the flying public, ha ha:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...res?cmpid=yhoo

Compete with Emirates? Why don't these airlines have a strategy to improve their services instead of competing with the best?
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:25 am

One difference only for long-haul: Lounge access for HON/SEN only when travelling on the SMART fare (not the basic fare as in Europe).

Also, the BKK flight is the old airport (Don Mueang).

The prices including a connection (I looked from LHR) are also very attractive, though they have stated these are only introductory offers and the price will rise. I wish them luck!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:46 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by djjaguar64
So finally Lufthansa realizes it cannot keep gouging the flying public, ha ha:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...res?cmpid=yhoo

Compete with Emirates? Why don't these airlines have a strategy to improve their services instead of competing with the best?
The headline is utter poppycock. I was at the press conference and LH clearly stated that with a 2x weekly CGN-DXB loco flight they are most certainly not challenging or competing with any full service carrier that plans to fly double daily 77W and A380 into DUS next door.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.