Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:43 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Announcement by Vereinigung Cockpit

Die Vereinigung Cockpit (VC) kündigt für Donnerstag, den 4. Dezember 2014 die Fortsetzung des Streiks an.

Die Piloten der Lufthansa Cargo, sowie der Lufthansa Passage auf Langstreckenflügen werden deutschlandweit am 4. Dezember 2014, von 03:00 Uhr bis 23:59 Uhr zum Arbeitskampf aufgerufen.
Flüge der Lufthansatochter Germanwings, sowie Kurz- und Mittelstreckenflüge der Lufthansa Passage sind nicht von den Streiks betroffen.

Die jüngsten Verhandlungsrunden zwischen Geschäftsleitung und VC zur Übergangsversorgung zeigten, dass es nach wie vor trotz wiederholter Arbeitsniederlegungen erhebliche Differenzen gibt. Deshalb wurde beschlossen, die für diese Woche geplanten Arbeitskampfmaßnahmen in ihrem Umfang auszudehnen.

Die VC erwartet ein klares Bekenntnis des Managements zur Ausgestaltung fairer Bedingungen für ihre jungen Piloten.

Die VC bedauert die Unannehmlichkeiten für die Passagiere.
http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...stag-fort.html
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:40 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Announcement on LH.com

Strike by pilots union Vereinigung Cockpit from 03:00 to 23.59 on December 4th

The pilots union Vereinigung Cockpit has announced a strike for Lufthansa intercontinental flights departing between 03:00 CEST to 23.59 CEST on December 4th. During the strike period disruptions of Lufthansa long-haul flights are expected. Lufthansa is currently working intensely on a special timetable for the strike period, which will be published as soon as possible. All Lufthansa short and medium – haul flights as well as flights operated by the Lufthansa Group airlines Austrian Airlines, Brussels Airlines, Germanwings, SWISS and Air Dolomiti (operated by OS, SN, 4U, LX, EN) will not be affected.

Passengers are kindly requested to check the status of their flight prior to departure. Passengers whose flights are operating are kindly requested to come to the airport in good time.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 11:56 pm

Strike, strike

Another strike this week... does anyone with lots of knowledge about all this know if an agreement is approaching at all?

I am beginning to worry that Christmas and New Year traffic would be a perfect target if this continues for a few more weeks. I am traveling to see my family for the first time in nearly two years, and I have no margin of error...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:17 am

10 strikes in a year.. anyone still booking LH must be out of their minds now (I wouldn't even consider them anymore without any strikes..)
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:01 am

Unbelievable.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:47 am

I am actively avoiding LH now, while 2 years ago I would have gone out of my way to make sure I am booked on LH.. interesting development
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:53 am

A friend of mine has very leftist political beliefs, and we talked about going on a short holiday before Christmas. He obviously refuses to fly low-cost , so normally we fly Lufthansa.

However this time he refuses to fly Lufthansa as well, not out of sympathy for the pilots, but because he believes the strike by pilots will make it easier for the German Government to change the law and ensure only one union can collectively bargain for a workgroup. The little public sympathy for pilots making +100k a year and wanting to retire at 55, makes a change in law much easier for the CDU/SDP coalition than for train drivers making 40k a year!

For those people with bookings over Christmas, I would recommend checking your travel insurance if it covers delayed/cancelled departures due to a strike. At least in the UK this is included in most insurance policies and is valid where the booking was made before the specific strike was announced. In other countries I suspect the coverage and cost may be different.

Personally, I believe a Lufthansa supervisory board meeting is coming up, and this strike is a way for the union to get their message across. I would love to know what is being discussed in the negotiations, I'm pretty sure it is more than the retirement benefits, as the I would hope pilots have a sense of proportionality about their benefits (vs. everyone else) and striking.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:40 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Another strike this week... does anyone with lots of knowledge about all this know if an agreement is approaching at all?

I am beginning to worry that Christmas and New Year traffic would be a perfect target if this continues for a few more weeks. I am traveling to see my family for the first time in nearly two years, and I have no margin of error...
Shouldn't 7 days before Xmas and about 15 days after Xmas be in the black-out period for strikes (workers unions can't proclaim any new strike in the period between 18/12--07/01?
It would be against the law. Several EU countries adopt this rule (Italy, France, Spain).
Furthermore if the strikes will be proclaimed in sequence or for indefinite periods, workers could be conscripted since air-transport is considered as a strategic public service for the general interest.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Personally, I believe a Lufthansa supervisory board meeting is coming up, and this strike is a way for the union to get their message across. I would love to know what is being discussed in the negotiations, I'm pretty sure it is more than the retirement benefits, as the I would hope pilots have a sense of proportionality about their benefits (vs. everyone else) and striking.
Yep, the board is deciding about the longhaul Wings concept today or next Wednesday. What is utterly ridiculous is that officially VC is striking for the pension deal (which was pretty much settled in the last negotiation round) but the un-official underlying reason is the German-, Euro- and WorldWings topic.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 3:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Yep, the board is deciding about the longhaul Wings concept today or next Wednesday. What is utterly ridiculous is that officially VC is striking for the pension deal (which was pretty much settled in the last negotiation round) but the un-official underlying reason is the German-, Euro- and WorldWings topic.
No one can realistically purchase an Lufthansa ticket any longer and expect to reasonably get to their destination.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: M&M,HH Gold,Accor Plat.,Priority Club Plat. Ambassador,Club Carlson Gold,Marriott Gold,GHA Plat.
Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
No one can realistically purchase an Lufthansa ticket any longer and expect to reasonably get to their destination.

At today, the catch-phrase sounds a little bit sarcastic!
Old Dec 3, 2014, 4:26 am

Originally Posted by Paul4Travel

At today, the catch-phrase sounds a little bit sarcastic!
Lufthansa: no, you stop!

I'll show myself out.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:08 am

FRA starts to be become a fairly pleasant airport once the majority of the flights are cancelled:

(pic taken yesterday morning while I waited for LH906)

Maybe there's a lesson there somewhere?
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:56 am

Go the Reagan way , immediate retirement !

This is ridiculous.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by seat 1a
Go the Reagan way , immediate retirement !

This is ridiculous.
It's rather easy to replace ATCs, not so easy to replace pilots.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.