Pilot strikes in Autumn / Fall 2014

Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:15 am

Tuesday 9/16 strike from 9am to 5pm in FRA on longhaul only

http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unt...-a-991616.html

A380, B747, A330 and A340 flights are affected. It's currently not fixed but I suppose we know more later today if it's gonna happen or not
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:24 am

Programs: A3 Gold, LH FTL
Originally Posted by TaipeiWang
A380, B747, A330 and A340 flights are affected. It's currently not fixed but I suppose we know more later today if it's gonna happen or not
Sounds pretty serious to me:
http://www.vcockpit.de/presse/presse...mber-2014.html
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:29 am

If there is a strike called 24h before a booked trip, should I wait for LH's email regarding rebooking, or should I be proactive and amend my booking online or over the phone?
For example right now on LH.com there is no mention of tomorrow's strike.

I have to fly BRU-MUC-HND next Monday, so I might have to change my routing on Sunday when our Corporate TA is quite hard to come by.
Thank you!
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:59 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
So it's strike action now once a week. With advance information on the morning of the day before.

When VC has pressed LH into accepting their terms who will be next then to strike?

This is a message from me to VC: lesson learned: I won't book a flight if there is alternative transportation. And I will book LCC's more from now on because strangely their pilots seem not to strike.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:22 am

I would say it is time LH Management took a closer look at their strategie becuSe these striktes are costing them millions they could easily have spend on this fund.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by malmostoso
If there is a strike called 24h before a booked trip, should I wait for LH's email regarding rebooking, or should I be proactive and amend my booking online or over the phone?
For example right now on LH.com there is no mention of tomorrow's strike.

I have to fly BRU-MUC-HND next Monday, so I might have to change my routing on Sunday when our Corporate TA is quite hard to come by.
Thank you!
If LH has updated their website, you should be able to change your booking on line. If not, call LH but they may still not be in a position to change your ticket until they've updated their date.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
So it's strike action now once a week. With advance information on the morning of the day before.

When VC has pressed LH into accepting their terms who will be next then to strike?

This is a message from me to VC: lesson learned: I won't book a flight if there is alternative transportation. And I will book LCC's more from now on because strangely their pilots seem not to strike.
To call a strike at the same time as a massive Air France strike has a large impact far beyond Lufthansa. This causes a very strong economic impact throughout Europe and beyond.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:12 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Announcement on lufthansa.com

Announced strike by pilots union Vereinigung Cockpit on September 16th

The pilots union Vereinigung Cockpit has announced a strike for long-haul flights departing from Lufthansas Frankfurt hub scheduled for Tuesday, September 16th, in the time from 9.00 to 17.00 CEST. Lufthansa long-haul flight operations departing from Frankfurt will be affected by the strike. All Lufthansa flights to and from the Munich hub as well as short-haul flights from and to Frankfurt will operate as scheduled.

Passengers holding a Lufthansa/SWISS/Austrian Airlines or Brussels Ticket for flights from/to/via Frankfurt on 16.9.2014 can rebook their tickets once free of charge.

The following conditions have to apply:

Rebooking within same booking class:

- Tickets must be issue on/before 15.9.2014
- New date of travel must be on/before 16.12.2014
- Change of origin/destination and class of service/compartment is not permitted
- All other ticket conditions must be observed as per original ticket

We will do everything in our power to inform and advise our passengers to the best of our ability during this time.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by ralfkrippner

According to an article in the current issue of German periodical Spiegel, potential strikes of cabin attendants are looming in connection with the long haul LCC concept. The UFO cabin attendants union appears to be asking for job guarantees and for maintaining retirement benefits according to the current system.

And by the way, the working title of the long haul LCC is now "Jump". Air France has "Hop!", so talk about creative. Rather jump off something...
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:28 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by kamel123
And by the way, the working title of the long haul LCC is now "Jump". Air France has "Hop!", so talk about creative. Rather jump off something...
The project name is Jump, the proposed airline name is 'worldwings', and was registered as such in July.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by oliver2002
The project name is Jump, the proposed airline name is 'worldwings', and was registered as such in July.
Even better!

In any case, I would wish for management to stand firm in this situation. Their strategy of creating different subsidiaries left and right in order to circumvent the high labor costs of the mainline will not work. It creates huge internal complexity, and negatively affects the customer experience. So really the only way (except of course a better product that customers would be willing to pay a premium for) is to bring labor costs down in LH mainline.

Yes, normally there needs to be a compromise solution that saves face for both parties in order to end a strike. And yes, more strike days will be extremely disruptive and quickly affect bookings.

But, I feel these pilots need to be taught a lesson. Fighting for retirement benefits not enjoyed by virtually any other profession just appears entitled.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by oliver2002
JUMP = tourist destinations on LH metal ex Germany
worldwings = low cost platform cont and intercont outside of Germany
Old Sep 15, 2014, 4:59 am

just called lufthansa, and they wouldn't do anything until the flight schedule is updated.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:34 am

I called Lufthansa too.My flight has been moved to depart 2hrs 25min earier, causing me to misconnect.
They said the carrier who issued the ticket has to contact them to protect the booking.It was booked through lifemiles. And lifemiles says they never call another airline to protect a booking.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:56 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Strike update on lufthansa.com

All Lufthansa long-haul flights from Frankfurt to depart tomorrow despite the strike

After announcement from the Vereinigung Cockpit pilots union that they will boycott the long-haul flights from Frankfurt tomorrow, Lufthansa published a special flight plan this afternoon. The plan is for all 40 long-haul flights scheduled to depart tomorrow during the strike to take place. It is thus expected that the strike will not lead to any flight cancellations tomorrow, rather just to a change in the departure times of 24 long-haul flights from Frankfurt.

Passengers booked on to a long-haul flight from Frankfurt tomorrow are kindly requested to check the status of their flight prior to departure. Lufthansa is sending text messages and emails to all passengers registered for these services.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.