Search

Split up after OLCI

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Split up after OLCI

Hi!

I'm flying LHR-VIE tomorrow on OS on 1 PNR. I checked in my and my partner online around noon today, and printed the boarding passes. I'm *G, my partner is nothing. We got the window and aisle seat (empty middle) in row 15. Biz is rows 1-3 on an A321.

This evening I log in to see if any better seats have opened up, to see me still in row 15, and my partner in row 28! My partners seat was occupied by someone else. There were a LOT of empty pairs and aisle seats still empty thoughout the plane.

Is this a normal thing on OS? There were still random empty seats around the front of the cabin, and thankfully still an empty row near the back where I moved us both to. Why on earth did they split us up? I'm really annoyed, as now we'll be amongst the last to get off, and we wanted a quick getaway. If I hadn't checked, then we might have been split up 13 rows apart for no reason. There wasn't even a courtesy email to say that they had helpfully split us up.

Hopefully onboard service, and the Sen lounge in VIE will placate me a little...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by shefgab
We got the window and aisle seat (empty middle) in row 15.
Obviously, you did not want to sit together. If you had wanted, one of you would have taken the middle seat. You have chosen to take two separate seats, so your case actually is "I wanted to have one stranger between my companion and me, but then they put many strangers between us."
Old Aug 8, 2014, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by sokolov
Obviously, you did not want to sit together. If you had wanted, one of you would have taken the middle seat. You have chosen to take two separate seats, so your case actually is "I wanted to have one stranger between my companion and me, but then they put many strangers between us."
It's common practice to choose aisle and window seats when the plane doesn't look 100% full.

Middle seats will be filled last, and even if it's filled, the stranger in it will happily switch to either window or aisle with one of you.

OS clearly shouldn't have reseated, but then, you don't buy a specific seat (unless you pay for it) with your ticket, but rather a transport in a specific class.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
It's common practice to choose aisle and window seats when the plane doesn't look 100% full.
That is a gamble. You can not deduct from the seat map how full the plane is going to be. In a gamble, you may loose. (Especially at load factors >80%.) The OP lost.

Middle seats will be filled last, and even if it's filled, the stranger in it will happily switch to either window or aisle with one of you.
Another gamble, albeit with a better chance of winning. :-)
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:12 am

That is a gamble. You can not deduct from the seat map how full the plane is going to be. In a gamble, you may loose. (Especially at load factors >80%.) The OP lost.

Another gamble, albeit with a better chance of winning. :-)
So basically you chose to gamble - but with close to nothing to lose.

Because the scenario that happened here - split up after OLCI - is extremely rare, and can also happen if you seat yourself together.

I'll continue to do this practice unless I know flight is 100%++ full (in which case I hope for an op-up anyway)
Old Aug 9, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Are you crediting LH's IT with possessing some residual form of intelligence ?
Old Aug 9, 2014, 1:15 pm

Programs: LH FTL, HH ♢, HGP P, Accor P
Originally Posted by shefgab
my partner is nothing.
Don't let him/her see this

LH IT is the stuff of legends, many glitches

Glad there was an empty row left for you two
Old Aug 10, 2014, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
strange if on the same PNR and no A/C swap. Have seen this only when my wife was able to get a BP @ OLCI and I was not ... that caused some seat scrambling in the end which they were able to fix at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.