Old Apr 6, 2019, 3:53 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by terbangalways
Thanks both!
Pleasure!
Old May 6, 2019, 1:29 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Hi,

Just completed 2 flights with LH in C within the EU and I must say the experience has to be one of the worst among the major EU carriers. I had one relatively long EU flight (on paper it was > 2 hours) and 1 short hop, ~ 1 hour from MUC to AMS.
For the longer flight I was shocked that only a slightly larger cold meal it offered with a pathetic dessert. For the shorter one, a smaller cold plate was offered.
Drinks offering was exactly the same as Economy - except served in glasses.

Among the LH group - I will put LH at the bottom of the list, just above SN. Even AZ does much better in the catering department.

FA's were just OK - but worst compared again to AF-KLM or BA. I was a bit furious with one of the more senior FA (not purser) on my longer flight - did not bother to find a solution for me when I boarded and could not find space for my backpack as the pax in row 1 used the middle seat for their stuff (which should have gone above) and she just suggested to put mine together with theirs there (even though it was obvious it will not fit under the seat anymore). Luckily there was another row of business class empty, so just moved over there. Later she seemed to know a couple in business - and for the last 40 mins after service ended, she approached them with a bottle of wine (? - since it was wrapped in paper and bag) and just started chatting loudly with them until the captained announced landing in 20 mins.

Will certainly never choose LH if I can avoid it (this time was because the ticket was just slightly more expensive compared to Y) - although because it was a P-fare, forced to put the miles into my non-status M&M account.

Did not expect LH service to have gone down basically the drain - have not flown them for the last 2 years.

Cheers!
hugolover likes this.
Old May 6, 2019, 2:02 pm

Our lone experience in LH biz class was last summer: VIE-FRA then FRA-LHA. The early morning “domestic” flight was pretty pathetic. I think it was an A-320. First class consisted of 3x3 coach seating with the middle seat blocked off. Minuscule breakfast snack. No PDB offered. Actually, no alcohol of any kind was offered. I asked for a Coke. Catering had not boarded any ice and the Flight Attendants obviously didn’t check before push back.

The long haul, however, was wonderful. We had biz seats in the upper level of an A-380. The hard product was okay, not the best, but comfortable enough. Probably, not quite as good as UA’s Polaris product that we came over on. But the service was outstanding. Two beautiful, young ladies took proper care of us. It was a very nice flight.
Old May 6, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spirits and mixers are C only. The wines, beer and softs are C/Y.
Old May 7, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Reporting back from a round-trip AMS-FRA-BOG routing (A340-600). Will focus mainly on the inbound flights as on outbound we were booked into premium economy but got upgraded (bid minimum €500) and other than that the flight was exactly as you’d expect and has been reported in this thread and elsewhere numerous times. BOG-FRA-AMS was more...interesting.

Checkin in at Bogotá was fine. The check-in agent was ok, but didn’t provide any information about lounges, if there was a fast track security or anything. We went through immigration and security relatively quickly - around 15 minutes overall for the process and then tried to find a lounge. They are not easy to find in BOG. Nothing is signposted. Eventually, found an Avianca Lounge. Staff very unfriendly, lounge packed, food and drink minimal, seating poor. Do not recommend. Went to gate to ask Lufthansa staff if we could use any other lounge and a very helpful lady sent us to the El Dorado lounge near gate 47. It was excellent and would highly recommend instead of the Avianca lounge.

Boarding was quick, seats were 5H and 5K. Found these to be quite good seats as they are near the beginning of J seating, not too noisy and not too much foot traffic. For service, I think we had a crew member who was on her first or second long haul J flight. She was very flustered all the time, forgot things often and our side of the aircraft was served much slower than the A and C seat rows. By the time she got to us to ask what pre-dinner drinks we’d like the other aisle was already almost completely served. Same applied to meal service. By the time we got our starter, row 5A+C had already received main course. She was perfectly pleasant, but we had actually asked for the express service as we wanted to sleep, but it didn’t make any difference in the end as we finished at the same time as the other aisle.

Other than that, food was not great compared to the outbound flight. I do love the Lufthansa espressos though, and breakfast was not too bad. I didn’t use the IFE aside from the map, so can’t comment much on that.

I found the seats relatively comfortable and like the mattress pad provided. There were always queues for lavatories, but didn’t bother me too much. Amenity kits were filled with the usual, but probably one of the better bags I’ve seen. Very nice.

Our regional FRA-AMS flight was not very good. We had a relatively short connection (1hr5mins) and were a bit rushed getting from B gates to A gates. Aircraft change meant seat change and we got bumped from first row of business to last. Gate staff were unpleasant. Food was a tiny wrap thing with mostly lettuce inside and a humongous cake. Wrap meh, cake very good. After landing in Amsterdam we discovered our luggage didn’t come with us. Apparently it’s being sent to us today, so we’ll see.

This is my 3rd LH business experience and it was the worst of the three (the others were to SIN and MEX). I found the A340-600 to be quite tired compared to the A380 and A350s I’d flown before, and would probably only actively pick it if flying Y due to the two seats by the window instead of 3 (I found the A350 in Y to be horribly cramped and chlaustrophobic). Flying QR in 3 weeks in their standard business and one leg in Q-suites so looking forward to seeing how it compares.
hugolover likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:31 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Flying QR in 3 weeks in their standard business and one leg in Q-suites so looking forward to seeing how it compares.
I am afraid after your experience with QR in business - you'll never want to see any LH service or seat [ok maybe First class].
Enjoy QR - crew are either very good or at least good - but much better than LH. As for food - much better and dine anytime concept.

Cheers!
ChrisBub likes this.
Old May 8, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
LH 748 vs A380 in J

I wonder if frequent LH travellers can help. We’re looking to book LHR - HKG in Dec and take advantage of the current LH J companion offer. Having never flown LH I’m wondering what offers the best experience in J, hard product-wise.

I see the 748 J is in the bubble which has some novelty to it, but wondering if that’s enough of a reason to discount the A380!

Thanks in advance!

Old May 8, 2019, 4:34 pm

Pretty much the same experience. Take the flight with the better timing for your plans.

the 747 upper deck is quite nice, and the cabin is smaller than on the 380 - so probably a bit more quiet.

but the 380 is the 380
Old May 8, 2019, 5:26 pm

MUC is easier to connect than FRA.
The 380 is quieter than the 748.
Hard product is similar on both and a bit behind. No direct aisle access from every seat, small foot area, relatively narrow.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:38 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Never been on 380? Take the 380. Never been 748-upper deck, take the 748.
Btw, HKG-MUC has 350 on offer, too .. for me the fav row there is 8, because I dont like when people bump their feet under the seat while sleeping.
This applies just the same for 748+380, e.g. row 83 on the 748.

I leave you with this Catch-22 :-)
Old May 9, 2019, 6:28 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
I always choose A380 or A350 when I can, way ahead of any other experience.
Old May 9, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
MUC is easier to connect than FRA.
The 380 is quieter than the 748.
Hard product is similar on both and a bit behind. No direct aisle access from every seat, small foot area, relatively narrow.
The sectors I'm looking at have a minimum of 2 hrs connection time at FRA. Is that enough? Even reading the wiki is a bit confusing!
Old May 9, 2019, 8:28 am

Location: between DM464 and DM463 on the NAPSA26 RNAV TRANS in EDDM
Programs: this and that
Originally Posted by woobl
The sectors I'm looking at have a minimum of 2 hrs connection time at FRA. Is that enough? Even reading the wiki is a bit confusing!
Transferring in MUC is always a lot easier than transferring in FRA. If you need/want to transfer in FRA two hours should be enough - assuming the inbound flight is not delayed.
Old May 11, 2019, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by ChrisBub
Reporting back from a round-trip AMS-FRA-BOG routing (A340-600). Will focus mainly on the inbound flights as on outbound we were booked into premium economy but got upgraded (bid minimum €500) and other than that the flight was exactly as you’d expect and has been reported in this thread and elsewhere numerous times. BOG-FRA-AMS was more...interesting.
I'm doing same BOG-FRA, and had selected bulkhead row 3 due to larger foot space that i read online.
Did you happen to notice this?

I've also been to AV lounge and it was very crowded! So i'll check out your mentioned lounge.

How do you bid for the upgrade? There's an upgrade option of EUR 1400 one-way in manage my booking from J to F.
Not sure if this will drop closer to departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.